“Small restaurant, BIG flavor!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Ocala, Florida
“Small restaurant, BIG flavor!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband and I are on vacation, touring the US on our way up to Alaska. We've had some interesting meals, but the best by far has been at Renate's German Restaurant in Lynden, WA. The place is known to locals as having only fresh food, nothing canned or frozen! We'd asked a couple people, after reading reviews here, and they raved about the place. We had lunch there today, and I can't wait to go back! We'd had a late breakfast, so we weren't very hungry, and asked the owner if we could split the Goulash. She was more than happy to comply, and even served it to us on individual plates, rather than one dish and an empty one! I wish we'd have each gotten our own, it was so tasty! But then, the half portions we got were more than enough! It comes with choices of two sides, and we took the red cabbage and the spaetzle. We even shared the chocolate mousse pie, which was delicious. The total bill for all of this was only $18! Renate's is on our list of 'must go back' places!

• Visited September 2013

Lummi Island, Washington
“Excellent home-style German food, served with pride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our first visit to Renate's this evening. Our waitress was very friendly and helpful in helping us make our dinner choices. I started with a cup of Lentil Soup, (which was more like a bowl!) It was excellent, and among the best I have ever tasted. I then selected their special of the day, which was a special pork goulash, with bread dumplings, and came with a side of red cabbage. Everything was obviously freshly made, and superb! My wife had the Jaegarschnitzel, with mashed potatoes and red cabbage. She let me sample the dark rich mushroom gravy, with a bit of her potatoes, and the flavor was wonderful. We had a wonderful German Riesling with our meal, which was also a perfect complement to the food. The servings were so large we had a struggle, but were able to share a warm strudel for desert. We will be returning again, to continue to enjoy this special treasure in the small town of Lynden.

ferndale, Washington, USA
“Very good German food, a real treat in Lynden”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We frequent this place. The sauerbraten is delicious, likely a Kaiserslautern region recipe (where the chef is from) not as vinegary as some recipes, such that kids will like it. We often order an extra sauerbraten and take to friend in resthome, who raves about it. It's quite popular with the locals and they sometimes run out.
The schnitzel is generous and good. Red cabbage, delicious warm German potato salad, spaetzle. Flavors easily compete with nearby German restaurants including one in Mission BC and Everson.
Everything you order on the menu is good if you're looking for German food. Some American dishes too.
Decor is a bit like a German beerhall, not too fancy. Waitresses are good!
Good bottled and tap German and european beers, domestics too.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Heidelberg, Germany
“Authentic German Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I'm here from Germany visiting Friends in Bellingham. My Friends Family loves Renate's Restaurant so they took me there because I craved my German Food.
I had Jaegerschnitzel served with Spaetzle and one Potato Dumpling, my Friend had the Schnitzel Vienna Style with French Fries, my other Friend had the Gulasch with Mashed Potatoes. Everything was served with red Cabbage. The Cabbage reminded me of how my Oma cooked it (Memories). I have to say this is German Food I expect in a good German Restaurant. The only thing I was a little suspicious about was the Reuben Sandwich that is something that is not served in German Restaurant but I think Renate's wants to please the American Taste buds. They were so nice to give me a little taste of it and I must say I liked it.
The Restaurant is a cute, clean place and they even played German Music. I felt just like Home. We took some Bretzels and freshly baked German Rolls with us for our Breakfast the next Morning. I for sure will be back the next time I visit my Friends. Loved it!!!!

Frederick, Maryland
“A wonderful luncheon experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I agree with "Busybeemom24" that this little restaurant is amazing. I ate there with my family(son, sister and niece) and we were very happy with everything. I know food and the red cabbage, spaetzle, german potato salad were home made. The potato pancakes were flavorful and satisfying. The salads were a good size and quite tasty. The service (Patty?) was the best ever. Renate's offers an authentic dining experience with typical German ambiance--artifacts, flags, pictures, etc. It compares quite favorably with dining experiences we've had in Germany. Love this great little restaurant!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere