“Bakery yummies” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Kenmore, Washington
“Bakery yummies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My wife and I had lunch at the Lynden Dutch Bakery in Lynden, WA. They have a tasty collection of treats and some some really good sandwiches, soups, and other eats to choose from. If you're vegetarian or vegan though, you must ASK what's in some selections (that's almost always true anyway). The counter girls didn't know so had to ask. Sandwich was delightfully tasty as was the soup. However soup was apparently milk based, and as we don't normally do milk, the after effects were not so comfortable. Cute, clean place, and we'd go back but most treats are loaded with sugar, so be advised!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Heidelberg, Germany
“It did not taste as good as it looked”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I'm German and I'm used to have my 3:00pm Coffee time with cake. We have really great Bakeries in Germany and I was looking forward to a nice piece of cake. Friends wanted my opinion on the Dutch Bakery so I choose to go there.
As I walked in I was really pleasantly surprised the bakery looks like a nice Neighborhood Bakery. I decided on a piece of Coffee Cake with Streusel (crumples) ?
The cake looked good but unfortunately tasted like right out of a box.
Maybe I'm just to spoiled regarding cakes and pies.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Woodinville,WA
“It's Special!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Whenever we visit Lynden, we just have to stop here. We felt fortunate today, as they even had our very favorite "Olie Bollen", which normally is not available except at Christmas or New Years. These are deep fried( yup, not super healthy, but oh, well) cake dough round balls rolled in sugar. They are soooo good! A local resident said you can sometimes order them in advance ( not sure of quantity) other than those special occasions. They did have them available for the Fair this week in Lynden. They're appx. 80 cents each, or 70 cents each, if you buy a dozen. If you go, be sure to stop and indulge!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mount Dora, Florida
“All Looks Poor Flavor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

When we walked into this bakery we immediately wanted one of everything we saw. The pies were particularly attractive, offering seasonal fruits which we assumed were prepared on sight. The display cases were filled with yummy looking muffins, tarts, scones and cookies. We were just buying a few treats so we skipped the pies. We purchased a few cookies, some muffins and a loaf of blackberry bread.

The basic cookie was OK. The shortbread was tender, moist and flavorful. The lemon filling destroyed the cookie. If you intend to destroy a lovely piece of shortbread with a bitter commercial attempt at lemon curd, I would prefer to simply have the shortbread. The M & M cookies were OK, but nothing special. I could get the same thing from Safeway's.

The cream cheese muffins seemed soggy, as if they had been caught in a shower. The blackberry bread tasted nothing like blackberries, and I suspect it will sit in the cupboard for a couple of days before one of us just tosses it out.

This bakery seems as if it started with some good concepts and excellent recipes, but has given way to short cuts. The products are all attractive, but seriously lacking on the flavor scale.

Counter service was fairly quick, but the young girl who waited on us obviously had her head in some other location. She filled our order incorrectly twice, and when we got to the car we realize she had charged us for two items we did not receive. She was not mentally in her job at all.

I would return to this bakery and try a few other items. I really cannot believe such beautiful pies would not taste fantastic, and the little blueberry tarts looked great. I would give it one more try before I crossed it off my list. In the meantime, I will not recommend the cookies, the muffins or the fruit bread.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lynden, Washington
“Best Neighborhood Bakery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

When you visit Lynden, WA you must visit the Lynden Dutch Bakery. With a definite small town feel and small tables where you can sit and enjoy a cup of coffee with your pastry or stop by for lunch.They have many goodies to choose from and some of my favorites are the Scones(with raspberries or the cinnamon glazed ones) or the Dutch delight muffins or the Holiday OlieBollen. They also have excellent homemade soups( the split pea is my favorite) and good hoagie sandwiches to go with it.

Visited May 2013