“Great Weekend at the Stylish, Fun Adrift” 4 of 5 stars

Adrift Hotel and Spa
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   409 Sid Snyder Drive, Long Beach, WA 98631   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Long Beach
Seattle, Washington
“Great Weekend at the Stylish, Fun Adrift”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This place far exceed my expectations, especially after reading some of the reviews here on TripAdvisor. We went last weekend using the Living Social deal. The room was stylish, clean, with cute decor- and the memory foam bed was really comfortable. The rooms are pretty minimal, no fancy frills, but you can request things you need (hair dryer, coffee maker, etc.) at the front desk. My favorite thing about the whole hotel was that it not only allowed dogs, but was very very dog friendly (treats at the front desk, water bowls around, etc.) We brought our chocolate lab and he had a fun time too! The other awesome thing about this hotel is that it's right on the beach and a close walk to town, great location. No hot tub or pool, which would have been nice, but it wasn't a big deal. Some other cute extras such as DVD's, board games, and bikes to borrow in the lobby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
White Rock, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My girlfriend and I were a little concerned about trying this place given the mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, but we decided to give it a whirl and were pleased we did. This place is easy going and laid back, it is minimalist, and its clear the renos done to update were DIY jobs, but we enjoyed the character and creativeness that went into creating a unique experiene, we chose this place for these reasons, not to stay in a generic ho-hum hotel. The hotel is a couple hundred meters to the expansive pacific ocean, with miles and miles of beach, it should be noted that trucks and campfires are allowed on certain areas of the beach, something we wish we had known so we could have brought the 4x4 and camping chairs. There are free rentals of DVDs, board games and bicycles and the lobby has a great selection of snacks, treats, craft beers, wines and ciders. The town centre is only a few blocks away, and a short ride on one of the free bikes will get you there in a snap. We paid an extra fee to upgrade to a king room on the 4th floor with an Ocean view and it was magnificent. The restaurant was expensive and had small portions, but the quality was fantastic, and the mixed drinks were something we usually expect to find in high end clubs in places like Seattle or Vancouver, the wine was well priced and had generous pours. We would most certainly stay here again given the opportunity, the staff was friendly and helpful. Know what you want, do some research and I dont think you will be let down if you choose Adrift.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We, my boyfriend and I, enjoyed a Friday-Sunday stay at Adrift last weekend. Maybe the weather played a small role in my positive review, considering it was 80 degrees and sunny!

The Hotel is, uh, rustic. Even minimalist. You will see creative uses of concrete, wood pallets and crates everywhere. We had a Ocean View King on the 4th floor of the main bldg. which was very nice.
The bed is memory foam (mattress) on a plywood box.
The T.V. was great.
The bathroom was OK - it could have used a deep cleaning as there were cobwebs hanging from the fan.
We were right next to the restaurant. On Saturday night the music was loud - very loud. This did not bother us since it only lasted until 11 PM but I did see one upset Mom trying to put a child to sleep.
We ate at the restaurant once, when we arrived. We liked it. Unfortunately, they serve a very limited menu after 9 PM therefore we had soup, salad and fries.
I found the front desk to be very attentive.
The BEST part about this hotel is the location. It is right off the beach! It's also a 5 minute walk to the main street.

Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Like other reviews you'll read here, we stayed on a Living Social deal voucher and were NOT impressed. The place is minimalist as far as the rooms go. There were two beds (important note: they sit on plywood boxes) and one single cheap metal chair, reminded me of an outdoor chair. There was no table, no dresser, no nightstand. There was no fridge or microwave, almost a standard anywhere else nowadays. There are no towel rack by the sink which is separate from the toilet/shower so you're out of luck if you want to dry your hands. There is no room to put your personal items at the sink.

Housekeeping did a lousy job, didn't replenish supplies (toilet paper, coffee supplies) nor did they clean out the sink or tub. When I complained, I was told "they only rinse the sand down the drain if there is any." Wow...

Our room was in the back building with a view of the busy parking lot, and then the ocean far behind it. The location was nice as it was away from the rest of the hotels in the area, and by the boardwalk.

The restaurant is a JOKE. They claim to offer small and medium "plates". I don't think so. We spent $20 and got 1 tablespoon of cheese, 6 quarter-sized slices of 1 millimeter thick salami, 1 teaspoon of mustard, 1 teaspoon of cranberry sauce and 8 crackers (yes, that's all). Mixed drinks are $10.

I will certainly not stay here again as it was a waste of money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Hey man, I am always glad to not pay much just to sleep - it's a great thing! The deal was a good one: restaurant certificate, cupcakes, booze and so a, say, $35/night room (uh ya!) But, if the weather hadn't been cooperative it would have been rather like a stay in a whitewashed prison cell. Seriously. It's one thing to be minimalistic but another to be handcuffed to a room with nowhere (nowhere!) to get reading comfortable during days of rain and wind and cold. I give 3 stars because it would be adequate regardless of anything (at 35 bucks!) for one night..and because I'm a pet lover. The happy dogs parading around the grounds was always nice. I do think, however, that a padded vinyl chair or two (therefore wipe-able from pets, children, etc) that you can settle into and not have to either lay prone on a silhouette set mattress or sit mega-erect like aunt Eunice with the steel-plated tailbone who neither feels no addresses a flat, ungiving throne, is a necessary component to sustainable enjoyment!! I won't harp about the large corner to corner phallic symbol on the wall (even had balls) or the sand on the floor the cleaning lady never seemed to notice (4 nights -really?), or the dirty stairwells or the clogged clamdigger sinks or the late night noise or the fingerprints on the ocean view, as its truly not that important. I liked the board for a shelf although I think a second one under it would be another brilliant addition to sustainable enjoyment. It would be appropriate to have a place to put stuff besides the gritty floor. Of all the 'don't stay too long' environmental impact indications is the lack of a lamp (ok, the shelf is important but the light is just odd - like a conscientious person would rather watch tv than read? Maybe they think we all just want to have sex. Might be true if you could maneuver the body-conscious mattress), it is, I have to say, huge. One white wall light and one yellow ceiling light just blows...like the wind.. coming from the beach... through the window.. that wouldn't close all the way ..and whistled Into The Night - all night (kind of heat wasteful hmmm). The restaurant food is just ok. That's it - it includes, however, a side of sauce in a shot glass (a chaser?) with everything to make up for the deep fried grossness. The bikes rock - as do the lobby market snacks and the wine and the free videos and games - a nice touch! Staff is trying hard to be eco and friendly - albeit a hard combination task - with which they do rather OK. So all in all..one brief night if its sucky outside...cuz wth - $35 is no deal breaker! And a couple if its pleasant outdoors and you can get around.

Room Tip: ask for top floor, but be warned there's no elevator in the cheapie ( aka eco-sensitive) bldg
Scappoose, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My friends and family refer to this hotel as the Pinterest Hotel. They have a lot of DIY projects all over the place. Some of these DIY things are totally great and some of them should have never been DIY but instead hired out to be done by a professional.

Here's the GOOD things about Adrift:
+Free bikes to use! This was a ton of fun even though most of the bikes are in bad shape.
+Good coffee in the lobby.
+Comfy beds.
+Affordable for the beach.

Here's the BAD:
-Room smelled awful when we arrived. Like female menstrual blood. (Nasty, I know.) We had to open the windows to air it out and plug a scentsy in.
-In room coffee maker had standing water in it and the lid was broken. The machine was dirty and coffee stained.
-No pool or hot tub. (Not that big of a deal but I like to soak when I go to the coast.)
-The onsite eatery was WAY over priced and served up small portions.

My family was trying to decide if we would ever go back and we could not come to a concise conclusion. If I would not jump at the opportunity to go back, I am not sure I will recommend my friends to go.

All in all, it seemed like they cut corners and paid no attention to the small details. The small details are often times the difference between average and great. That is why Adrift earns an average score.

Room Tip: I would not stay here if I did not have an ocean view. NOT WORTH IT!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I really wanted to like the Adrift Hotel & Spa. We tried hard to stay upbeat as our stay gradually turned into the worst hotel experience ever - after all, we know we didn't book the Ritz, and we aren't that picky to begin with. We tried hard to actually stay for the full two nights we booked. And it didn't happen. Really. We decided we'd rather eat the cost of the second night than stay there for it. Really.

Because we had a pet and because we got a deal through LivingSocial, we were placed on the first floor of the most basic building, with our door literally three feet in front of the main staircase. It was the loudest room we have ever stayed in, period. It made for the worst hotel experience we have ever had, period.

Some things were fine: The proximity to beach was probably 300 yards from the East building. Fine. The owners made an effort to update the building/furnishings to make it trendy and used reclaimed (but still cheap) wood and furnishings. Okay. The restaurant was trying to be uber trendy, but it didn't quite hit that mark because it was trying so hard. Still good. All of that combined would've been completely acceptable, copacetic, fine and dandy with us. It would've made for a perfectly decent stay and we would've been happy.

Except, there were clues that should've tipped us off that our room was going to be torturously noisy: 1) the room actually came with complimentary earplugs; 2) A main staircase was 3 feet in front of our door; 3) Because it is close to the beach (sand) and they are trying to be sustainable, the room didn't have any soft floor coverings - everything was either bamboo or laminate, so there is nothing to absorb the sound or muffle it. Everything echoed; 4) the building is old, and though the owners tried to update it, they didn't go all the way and it is showing wear (70s faucets in the bathroom, scruffy, gross carpet outdoors in the walkways, painted-over headboards that have peeled, etc.) - meaning, the walls were paper thin and they have sucky, old-timey insulation.

All of these things came together in the perfect storm, and we heard every belch, fart, step, word, snore, creak and other noise that any of our neighbors - on either side, or in the three rooms above us - made. It was not merely noisy, it was a cacophony of sound. The entire stay.

1) The room above us and to our right had a bunk bed feature and two young kids in it that pounded on the floor, yelled, and ran everywhere in their suite with wild abandon. That was okay (kids do that stuff!) - they were in bed by 10:30 and we could deal. Except, 2) all of the guests on the two floors above us used the staircase in front of our door when they went to and from the their rooms, and to the restaurant, and to the bar, etc. The stairs are plywood covered in carpet, and it sounded like the whole thing was going to come down around our ears every time somebody didn't tiptoe down it, and there was a ton of foot traffic; 3) the neighbors directly next door to us got back to their room after the bars closed (around 3:00 am) and proceeded to have a 45-minute, stage-whispered heart to heart, of which we could hear every word. And finally, 4) we wanted to sleep in the next day to make up for being woken up every couple of hours, except the kids upstairs who went to bed at a decent hour got up at 6:30 am, and the whole cycle started anew.

I could actually hear the kids, the people coming down the stairs, and our other downstairs neighbors even with our bathroom fan on, TV on, earbuds jammed in my ears and my iPhone turned up to nature music full blast. I even went for a walk and considered sleeping in my car at one point, but I didn't want to skeeze out the other guests so I came back inside. Additionally, our dog, who is normally very calm and quiet, was up all night and uneasy the whole time because he couldn't get any sleep either. I even called the front desk (which is staffed until 1 am) about the kids initially because we didn't know what was happening except that it was so loud; they said they would send someone to check it out. After I hung up I took the dog out for a walk and actually saw the front desk person walk out of the lobby, up the stairs, and just stand in front of the their room listening for a beat; he then turned away, walked back down the stairs, and back to the lobby without doing or saying a thing. This was the response to my inquiry/complaint. Some detective job...

So, we were basically awake every three hours all night and into the morning. Some relaxing stay.

We were going to give it another try, and stay for the next night (Saturday) because we didn't want to lose our money, and because we like to keep a good attitude, and we are grin and bear it type of people even though we felt like poo the next morning after about 4 hours of sleep. But, at 3:00 pm on Saturday we were in our room and the people in the room directly above us checked in. When we could hear their every footstep, when we could hear their every word to one another, when we could hear their every creak as they sat on the bed and checked out their room, and moved in their luggage, I burst into tears because of the stress and disappointment and we decided that it just wasn't worth it to go away for a relaxing weekend and return home more anxiety-riddled and less rested than before. So, we drove home and had a good night's sleep in our own bed.

If you don't mind paper thin walls and having everything that all of the other guests do echo down on you while you try to go about your business, go ahead and stay there. Like I said, everything else was pretty decent. But honestly, it was like we had a surround-sound theater of bodily noises and conversations playing at us for a nightmarish 24 hours...after a while we just couldn't take it any longer and busted out of there.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the first or second floor. Top floor only, on the corner, so you have to share...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Adrift Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!