“Comfortable, But Seriously Minimalist” 4 of 5 stars

Adrift Hotel and Spa
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   409 Sid Snyder Drive, Long Beach, WA 98631   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Long Beach
Bremerton, WA
“Comfortable, But Seriously Minimalist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

My wife and I spent two nights here on a Travelzoo deal. We got a great price on an oceanview room. As others have described this hotel, it's pretty stark. Nothing upscale here...and I'm still not sure how the "spa" in it's title fits into the overall picture. We found no spa and there is no pool. Environmentally speaking, I can guarantee you that this hotel will leave a mighty small carbon footprint. As mentioned, there's little in the rooms to absorb sound or impart a feeling of warmth in winter. The tables are all old wooden crates and you basically hang your coat on a spike-type nail. We did have a great ocean view and our king size bed was extremely comfortable...something you don't find in every hotel. The rest of the furniture (chair and chaise) was rather uncomfortable. There are no in-room coffee makers...something that is seriously detracting for my wife and I. You have to take the stairs or elevator down to the lobby for complementary coffee. We'd prefer to have our coffee before leaving our room and seeing other humans first thing in the morning. (Take your own coffee maker and coffee.)

The Pickled Fish restaurant was on our floor at the other end of the hall from our room (room 421), so there was little noise except for the young kids next door. The food was quite good but there are no regular dinners as previously noted in reviews. Everything now is "small plates". They have a decent wine and beer selection. Service was fine.

We got to see Long Beach again for the first time in 30 years, but we'll likely not return to this hotel or the area. We prefer the WA north coast beaches...and softer, warmer, more comfortable lodging.

Room Tip: 421 was a fine room for view and convenience to the in-house restaurant.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
pdx_mama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I'm writing this from my 2nd floor double queen room in the east building at Adrift where I'm sitting in a chair with my feet propped up on the bed enjoying a glass of wine and a view of the ocean. My family, which consists of my husband, our 9-year old daughter, and our pooch, and I are having a really nice President's Day weekend here.

First, I'd like to start with a few things the owners and management may not realize could make this place amazing.
- Replace sinks with rusty cracks, etc. The faucet is nice and modern but the sink is gross and I've found myself making a conscious effort to try and not look at it.
- Hide the outlets, cords, etc. connected to the television, cable, and DVD player behind something. Perhaps a simple and easily removable box made from the same crate wood as the shelving, etc. It would match and make a big difference in the view from sitting on the bed.
- Get the cleaning staff to attend to floor corners, particularly in the bathroom.
- When a guest books a room for 3 people, be sure there are 3 drinking jars in the room.
- When a guest books a room with a package, leave those goodies in the room for the guest to "discover" rather than giving it to them at the front desk. This way it doesn't have to be schlepped up to room along with all of our luggage.
- When a guest books a room with a pooch, offer them a few doggie poo bags, food & water dishes, and a doggie towel upon check-in
- Have a lidded carafe or pitcher in each room with the filtered water from the lobby.
- Paint the rooms another color. A soft grey or tan perhaps. The interior doors and frames could use a coat as well. Maybe the trademark bright green on the exterior.
- Change out the pipe being used as a curtain rod for an actual curtain rod. It's too hard to open and close the curtain.
- Sell small bags of dog food in your little lobby store for us dolts that forgot ours at home.
- Put a recycle bin in each room so that guests don't have to set those items on the floor next to the trash. (I do hope the housekeeping staff is recycling considering how green Adrift is trying to be.)

I want to make sure and note that none of the items above has made me not want to return. I appreciate the style and the idea of what is trying to be done here. Those are simply things that I suspect owners and managers may not have considered since they don't spend vacation time here.

Now, on to what I think others should know before booking a room here:
- This is an affordable, dog and family friendly establishment. If you don't like dogs and/or kids and/or if you have wild expectations for an affordable hotel, you probably should not book a room here.
- The walls are thin. Do not book a room in the east building if you are planning a romantic trip. I can't speak to the other buildings.
- There are crates on the walls as shelving. Personally, I love this. If you will have a problem with this style, don't book a room here.
- The lobby is wonderful and I recommend taking full advantage of everything offered there which includes:
~ a friendly and helpful staff. I cannot express how much I appreciate this. Kudos to the Adrift staff for being great!
~ beach comber bikes to borrow free of charge
~ board games to borrow free of charge
~ a good selection of movies to borrow free of charge
~ good coffee, tea, and lemon water free of charge
~ little dog treats free of charge
~ comfortable seating, a fireplace, and good music where you can hang out and play a game or read a magazine or just space out to your hearts content
~ a nice little shop where you can purchase beer, wine, soda, kombucha, crackers, chips, salami, cheese, chocolate bars, microwave popcorn, instant oatmeal, body care products, and probably a bunch of other things I didn't even notice
- the beach, boardwalk, and biking path are a stone's throw away...i.e. excellent location!
- the beds are comfortable but I always recommend bringing your own favorite pillow and requesting extra blankets from the hotel staff
- the body care products are of good quality and smell wonderful. They are full size so that Adrift can refill them and produce less waste as typically happens with those travel size types found at most other hotels.
- there is no carpeting in the rooms. Pack your slippers if this will bother you. Personally, I prefer this because of all the crap carpeting traps. Plus, I really like the flooring those chose.

I'm sure there are a bunch of other little things I could prattle on about but I think that gives you a good idea of what to expect.
Cheers!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

First, let me say that the beds in the king deluxe rooms are amazing!! I also loved the chaise chair by the window! All of the furniture is lovely and comfortable. It's also quite a treat to be able to borrow movies from downstairs. The free bike rentals are also great because there's a really nice paved path on the beach. I think the king deluxe room spoiled me though. I'm not sure I could stay in any other rooms. These ones were perfect. The only negatives would be that it definitely does have an old hotel smell, and the bathroom is pretty cramped. Also, it is a little noisy, but I didn't even notice once I had turned the tv on.

• Stayed February 2013
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We spent two nights at the hotel and enjoyed ourselves very much. We have two puppies, so it was important we stay somewhere "dog-friendly". Adrift is more than friendly to the dogs...to us it seemed the dogs were a major focus of the hotel. Our first thought as we entered our room was SPARSE, but we soon realized the "Industrial Chic" decor was well suited to the canine guests. For the human variety, you have the essentials...a soft bed, hot shower, plenty of clean towels and luxurious soaps. Everything you might need on a rainy day is there for you in the hotel lobby. Free DVDs, games, coffee...or you can purchase tasty snacks &/or libations. The hotel is very conveniently located on the beach and at the entrance of the boardwalk. Our favorite thing about Adrift is the Pickled Fish restaurant which sits on top floor overlooking the beach. Windows all around for a great view. Delicious local food, wine & beer. Most importantly, the hotel and restaurant staff was wonderful. Everyone was cheerful and helpful. We will stay with them again.

Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We really wanted to love this hotel. We were attracted to the minimalist look and feel of it. However, both my wife and I felt there was just something missing. While the staff were friendly, our experience was that it seemed a bit on the cold and slightly warn side, like a pair of bowling shoes. The whole time we felt like we were in some sort of limbo between a B&B and a hostel.

I think this place is just conceptually different. It's not there for people who need or want great service. I think the concept is to be servicable but not to a point of being a put-off. I would say that this place is for the 50% who don't care as much about the room as much as just being at the beach. The price is lower to offset whatever it may seem to lack...not that there are so many better places available either. And, if you have a dog and want to take them, they may be one of the only shows in town.

A few tips/notes about Adrift:

1.) Great Location - On the beach and about 4 blocks from the "core" of downtown long beach. Coffee roaster/cafe down the street. Right at the boardwalk. 4 miles from the park to the south by trail (easy two hour bike ride round trip). Moped/Bike/Trike rental place about a block away. Go-Cart track 2 blocks away. Kite museum & horseback rides 1 block away.

2.) Free bike rentals - the bikes are cruisers, they are in O.K. condition (not the greatest), the seats are set low so it may be difficult to ride. I would suggest bringing your own if you intend to bike more than an hour or two in total.

3.) Pickled Fish - Restaurant is on site. Doesn't open until 4pm. No reservations. Waiting in line can be tedious, long and confusing. Only good service we got was when we sat at the bar. Suggest you do the same if you can get to it. Locals eat here as well. Live music on Friday nights so the place will get packed. Just be aware of what you may be getting into during the "busier" hours. Lower your expectations with regards to service.

4.) Pack your own water/snacks

5.) Videos/TV - They have dish network, which was nice. The TV is smaller. They have a CD player for movies. The videos they have a the desk are well-trodden over titles. Bring your own entertainment as well. Don't suggest packing adult titles...this is not the type of hotel for a romantic get away...see #6

6.) I am glad that we didn't bring our kids as the walls were very thin. There is hearing protection provided by the hotel, which underscores this fact.

7.) Hotel desk closes at between 11pm & 4 am??. You can still get someone who is "on call" during those hours.

8.) East Building Alert: The east building is where dogs are allowed, so if you are allergic you need a room on the third floor (dogs only allowed on bottom two floors).

Room Tip: Get the west building if you can...the east building (except the top floor) is for the dogs.
Everett, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Was just there this weekend (Feb9-11), could not wait to leave!!! When you walk in to cold linoleum type floor covers, crates for side tables, no coffee maker, no blow dryer, no A/C, no carpet AND 1 pair of Earplugs next to your bed, you start to worry!!! When you do get ready for bed, you best find your planned all-nighter possition, cuz that bed is so uncomfortable, it will sink you to a non-movable position!!Not recommended for people with bad knees either, bed sits so low, you need someone to yank you up. Metal chairs are for the outside, not inside the room. Granted, it's a pet friendly place, the walls are so thin, my dog was play barking at the other dogs in the other rooms,because you can hear EVERYTHING!!!!!!! The no AC???have to keep your window cracked to get some air, but then again Worldmark - next door, that was super busy had cars in and out, so yes,it was loud. Had maybe 3 hrs sleep each night. Morning of the 11th, woke up at 5 am - looked at my husband and said - WE ARE OUT OF HERE!!! Coffee in the lobby was free & really AWESOME, but who wants to walk across the WET AND COLD parking lot in jammies to get a cup of coffee to enjoy.in your metal chairs in the room??? asked why there were no ammenities in the room, they said they were going GREEN??? Sorry - NOT GOING BACK THERE!!!

Washington state
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We came down to Long Beach for a 2 night get-away. Lucked out and had some gorgeous weather.

I liked the decor of the rooms hotel and my husband found it "spartan". The lack of carpeting made sense to me...especially when it seemed like I tracked in more sand than my dog
did.

There aren't very many places to put items/clothes/toiletries. Everything was clean and bright though and the supplied shampoos/soap etc were nice quality. I think my biggest complaint was the noise at night...the walls are thin (they do supply ear plugs) and we could hear the neighbors talking, the restaurant two floors above us and the band that played up there till very late at night. You need to ask for a coffee maker if you want one for your room (and hair dryer if you didn't bring one) though they have coffee all the time, as well as water in the lobby.

They are very pet-friendly (even have balls and frisbees you can borrow). and the beach with it's boardwalks and interpretive spots was a lot of fun. The staff was pleasant. They also supply bicycles which is a nice extra.

Would I come back again? Yes... love the location/pet friendliness...might make use of those ear plugs though!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Adrift Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!