“Terrible Customer Service - Avoid at all costs!!” 1 of 5 stars

You added Alps Romance Suites to your Saves list
Alps Romance Suites
225 Prospect Street, Leavenworth, WA 98826   |
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Terrible Customer Service - Avoid at all costs!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I wanted to use a $100 gift certificate that we received as a gift for our wedding in
July 2011. To make our reservation, we used the online reservation system at the Alps
Romance Inn website. At the time of our reservation, there weren’t instructions on how
to use a gift certificate or a spot to enter information about a gift certificate. When I saw
that our card had already been charged, I called to confirm our reservation and to ask
them about using our gift certificate.

The owner said that there was no possible way to use our gift certificate for this
reservation, but that we were welcome to use it for our next reservation. She explained
that I should have written a note during the reservation process that I had a gift
certificate. I said that there wasn’t a designated space for it and no instructions on the
website as to how to use it.

She did not present any alternatives or apologize for the lack of clarity on their website
or the archaic reservation system they are using, which does not allow for partial refunds.
In 2012, it’s hard to believe that such a system exists and that if it exists, a business
interested in attracting and retaining customers would choose to use it.

When she still responded that there was nothing she could do, my husband calmly said
that we are going to deny the charges on our credit card and complain to the better
business bureau. She asked my husband if he was threatening her. He explained that it
was not a threat, but that he was informing her of the course of action we would have to
take, given that she could not refund us $100 for the cost of the gift certificate or suggest
any other alternatives.

She then got extremely angry and explained that they are nice people there and that she
would think about it and see what she could do. She called us back and said we could
send her a scanned copy of the gift certificate and she would think about how to proceed.
We sent her the scanned copy and called her back the next night when we hadn’t heard
back from her.

When we called her back, she said she would refund us the $100 for the gift certificate
and then lectured us about how nice they are at the Alps Romance Inn and that we
had, “better not come and stay there if we were going to come with an attitude.” This
was the 4th conversation we had had with this woman in which she was extremely rude
and difficult to communicate with. At this point we decided that we didn’t want to stay
there because we would not feel relaxed or enjoy our time there. Nor did we want to give
any business to someone like this who treats their customers this way. Unfortunately this
meant losing the $100 wedding gift certificate. We emailed her to inform her we would
not be staying there that weekend and did not hear back from her.

In the end, we lost out on $221 plus the $100 gift certificate. My only solace is that this review will save someone else from contacting Alps Romance. I truly hope this money monger goes out of business.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerAlpsRomance, Manager at Alps Romance Suites, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
You titled your review as "Terrible Customer Service - Avoid at all costs!!”. To us, your review appears hostile and argumentative. We are easy going people at the Alps Romance Suites. There are rules that need to be followed and there are good reasons for rules. We have noticed over the years that a negative review is often a result of guest breaking posted rules yet, they fail to let others know of that issue when writing their review.

Your review is quite long but seems to be motivated by retribution and that does not seem fair to us. After we tried to assist you and you stated that you were happy, you did not show up for your reservation. You did not contact us until several days after the completion of what would have been your reserved dates and then you wanted a refund because you made other plans to go to another destination - other than Leavenworth. Your suite was blocked for you which prevented others from making a reservation for those days. That is not fair to other guests.

Although you made your review, the reality is that you have never seen or experienced the suites or the amenities with the suites. We feel that it is sad that you missed out on a great opportunity to have a romantic getaway.

Families
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Yakima, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

I attempted to book a one-night stay at the Alps Romance Suites for my wife's birthday weekend. Entered my billing/reservation information. The website then stated that I had to go back to the home page to complete the renter's agreement form. Well, when I 'paged back' I was given an 'error' message stating that the date requested was not available. So I thought my booking had not been completed as the last message I recieved was that the date requested was not available. I had been searching for some time trying to find a place that did not require a two-night stay. The website should be more clear. THE WORST PART IS THAT WE WERE CHARGED FOR THE RESERVATION EVEN THOUGH WE WERE NOT THERE!!! THERE SHOULD BE NO MESSAGE OF DATE(S) NOT AVAILABLE IF I WERE THE ONE THAT SUPPOSEDLY BOOK THAT DATE!!! THANKS FOR THE NON-VISIT CHARGE. I WILL RECOMMEND OTHER FACILITIES FOR OUR FRIENDS' UPCOMING VISIT TO LEAVENWORTH.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
It is unfortunate that you were confused and we are not sure why you became confused. You did not contact us during your confusion so we were unable to assist you. The website is easily navigated by many, many guests so we feel confident that it is user friendly. After each reservation is made, the system automatically sends an e-mail to us as well as to the reserving party at the exact same moment to confirm the reservation. You admitted that you had instantly received that e-mail.

What you did not mention in your review was that you eventually admitted that quite some time after you made your reservation that your wife decided that she wanted to go to a different destination outside of Leavenworth. You told us that your wife changed her mind quite a while after you made the reservation in that she preferred to go to the area of Portland, Oregon. We do not allow the blocking of suites that prevent other guests from reserving the suites for those dates. It is not fair to the other guests.
Everett, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed her for our first wedding anniversary. We didn't have much money to splurge on a lavish trip so we thought Leavenworth would be the perfect location. We planned on going during the week but finding a decent lodging price was difficult until I found the Alps Romance Suites. It was so cute and cozy. The first night we did not have neighbors as the suites are set up right night to each other so my husband and I took a look at the the suite. I will say they are not identical as the website suggests but the amenities that were said to be offered were. We stayed two nights. Not once did we see our "neighbors" however on the second night we could hear the people above walking around. Upon arrival the room was clean and neat with chocolates and cider as promised and romantic music playing quietly in the background. Also there were fresh cut carnations wishing us a happy anniversary. The hot tub is somewhat on the small side but perfect for a cozy couple and the temperature would quickly drop to about 101/102 degrees. We tried to use the sauna but it never got as hot as we would have liked. The town itself is a nice quiet 5 min walk away which is convenient. Overall the place is cozy and no its a not a 5 star hotel or even a 4 star but you also don't pay a 4 star rate. I think for the price, location and amenities you are getting just what you paid for.

Room Tip: The website says the suites are the same but the Alpenshire Romance Suite is the better of the two f...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Sequim, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

We Arrived at the Alps Romance Suites thinking it would be close to a 4star resort based on their description and amenities. Come to find it was a converted garage on for the downstairs rooms. All the appointments were cheap assembled furnature from Walmart or Costco. We didn't even have a closet or a hanging rod to hang shirts and coats. The only place to sit was a tiny wire table with 2 small chairs wedged into a corner, Otherwise you had to sit on the bed.
Yes they had the Sauna, spa and flat screen TV. I call it," Earrings on a Pig" No matter what you do to this property it will still be low budget and cheap. No one on site when we needed more coffee, towels, the batteries in the remote were dead, I had to use batteries out of my flashlight. Do not be fooled by theit presentation of their property, I travel every week for business and thought this was going a deluxe property ie: crown plaza, Marriott, Hyatt. this was below motel 6 or red roof in. Save your money, go somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Management225, Manager at Alps Romance Suites, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
The comments stated in this review are not true. We feel that it is unfortunate that revenge is taken in such a public forum and there was no verification of the statements given.

This guest did stay at the lodge during the first weekend of the Oktoberfest but we had significant issues with the guest for consistent failure in following the rules that are in place for everyone’s comfort.

The lodge does offer a significant amount of privacy and was designed intentionally to accommodate the luxury amenities (private hot tub and infra-red sauna etc.) as well as the privacy ensured for each guests. However, the amount of privacy afforded does not allow for excessive noise that disrupts other guests. In this case, on several occasions, the guests refused to lower their music coming from their suite while they were in their hot tub. Several complaints were received and we responded to the complaints. With each response, the guests continued to refuse to lower the music turning it up again each time after we left. The guests stated that since they had paid for the lodging that they should be able to do whatever they wanted and that would include playing the music as loud as they wanted as well as intentionally talking loudly while walking by the doors of the other suites attempting to disrupt the other guests. The guests were uncooperative and advised that they would not be allowed to make a reservation at the lodge in the future based on their behavior. The review on Trip Advisor is their way of retaliating.

They have made statements that are simply not true. The suite is not a garage, the table is not made of wire, the table does not sit in a corner, the six-bottle wine cooler is brand new, there are several hooks for hanging coats etc. in each suite, the infra-red sauna is amazing, and the hot tub is significantly enjoyed by our guests as it is a favorite amenity for our guests.

It is unfortunate that the guests consistently refused to follow the rules at the lodge. Our guests come to the lodge for a romantic atmosphere that includes luxury amenities and a peaceful atmosphere. They are entitled to that and we ensure that each guest receive that. The rules of the lodge are clearly posted on the website as well as on the reservation agreement that the guests sign stating that they understand the rules and the need for adherence to the rules for the comfort of all of the guests. Additionally, the same set of rules is clearly posted in each suite.

The rules are necessary to ensure that everyone enjoys a romantic and peaceful environment during their stay at the lodge. It is not fair to any of the other guests when a couple refuses to care about the impact of their behaviors on the other guests and we do not anticipate changing the rules because the comfort of all of our guests is something that we take very seriously.
Monroe, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed here August, 2011 to celebrate our 3rd anniversary. This was a really good choice for us. I had read all these reviews and had a fairly good understanding of what I was going into which I think made all the difference for me. There were people upstairs but honestly if you stay at a hotel there will be people upstairs too so this wasn't a big deal for us. It was quiet, about 3 blocks from town and very cozy. We stayed parked here for our vacation and just walked into town and then walked back to enjoy the a/c as the day got warmer. The cider and chocolates were a wonderful touch and I was amused to see fresh cut flowers with a note that said "Happy Anniversary" when we arrived. The price was very reasonable and it is likely that my husband and I will stay here again. Everything was clean and cozy.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011 via mobile

We enjoyed celebrating our 25th anniversary here. The private hot tub gazebo was very nice. When we entered our room there was light music playing, flowers & chocolates. The suite was very clean & cozy. The owner & maid service are very welcoming & grcious. We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2011
Woodland, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

My wife and I came here for our 1st year anniversary. There has obviously been some remodeling since the person who uploaded the pictures of the nasty looking deck. I'm actually writing this review from our room by the wireless network they provide that has access to the internet; which by the way is incredibly fast (Speakeasy.net speed test showed 5.59Mbps after burst). We walked in the door, and there was romantic music playing, the room was nice and warm, a cold bottle of sparkling cider chilling, and everything was clean and proper. There was also a vase with flowers, and a note that said "Happy Anniversary." For $99 a night (we stayed from Sunday, to Tuesday) you can't beat the price. Right before we left to Leavenworth, my wife and I both read some of the negative reviews and got worried... Thankfully there has been some improvements since those reviews. Our hot tub and sauna were both very clean, and we enjoyed both (the sauna is not very big: it's actually quite small).

Just so you know what you're getting into, you're pretty much on your own when you get here. Management is not located on site, and room service doesn't come everyday either. The Alps Romance Suites is basically a large home, that has been divided into 4 separate rooms, and fitted with the necessities. We actually drove right past this place while trying to find it, because it kind-of blends right in with the rest of the neighborhood.

In summary we would definitely come back. Their website could use a little face-lift. Web design has become incredibly simple, and there are some good "free" templates that exist out there that would look way more inviting, and professional...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Alps Romance Suites? Share your experiences!