“Confessions of a rafting rookie...” 4 of 5 stars

1-800-743-6269
Website
Improve this listing
Edmonds, Washington
“Confessions of a rafting rookie...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife, sister and I opted to book with Osprey after basically being no-shown by two other outfitters in the Leavenworth area: one of whom ceased responding to e-mails and wouldn't answer their phone for nearly a week prior to our booking, and another which felt the need to ridicule our choice to raft the Wenatchee in the first week of August, since "the good water all left in mid-July." It's a given that these places are often run by all manner of local wildboys--it's part of their charm--but when you find yourself being mocked as an out-of-towner when that's exactly who these places cater to, it gets things hopping on the wrong foot.

Fortunately, this wasn't the case with Osprey: after a bit of a slow start and some organized chaos with outfitting our group with paddles and life jackets (You can request a helmet for the routes that don't make them mandatory, should you want the additional insurance in case of a spill), we were on our way and in our raft within fifteen minutes of the departure time, and a short hike up the road. We really lucked out with our guide, too: Nic Allen figured out pretty early on that we were total novices at the rafting game and treated us with patience and engaged conversation, pushing us through the squalls easily and playing both the part of tour guide and cap'n with equal measures of grace and humor. The entirety of the afternoon was about three hours of lazy waters and occasional rapids, but it felt like fifteen minutes: by the end of it, the no-frills beachside barbecue of hot dogs, hamburgers and picnic fixings might as well have been manna, after the appetite we worked up.

All in all, it was an absolutely awesome weekend getaway: I'd give the experience itself three stars based on the merits of Osprey's customer service and friendliness, with an additional star for Nic's enthusiasm. Definitely highly recommended, and we'll be back for some Class IV fun next year.

Visited August 2013

Eugene, Oregon
“Don't bother with the tube trip”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Honestly, I really wanted to enjoy this trip and have a high rating worthy experience. However, my experience with Osprey was pretty poor.
Anyways, to start they are so disorganized at the main office it's a headache. They ended up accidentally charged my $15 extra dollars for a floating cooler I did not want and when I mentioned it they just shrugged and said it must have been a mistake. When I asked about a refund there was no follow up on there part.
Yet, that would have been fine but they quote the tube trip as being 1-3 hours. I called and asked the employees about length and they said 1-3 hours. This is simply not true. It is maybe an hour if you include the time it takes to meet up and their separate location, drive to the KOA, get the safety lecture, and get into the river. I checked my watch in the river and we were only on the actual river for 35 or so minutes. Which after close to $50 dollars in tube rentals and the extra $15 I paid for nothing (they didn't even give me the cooler i didn't want but did pay for) I felt really taken advantage of. I've heard this place is great for rafting and winter but honestly the tube trip is a rip
off. I can't imagine anyone paying these prices for it and I didn't like being lied to about the 1-3 hours by the employees I talked to.

Visited July 2013
Tacoma Junction, Washington, United States
“We were looking for extreme!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I set out for an adventure, and the staff at the Osprey delivered. We were so excited to hit the Wenatchee and wanted a crew that would allow us to experience something more extreme then the normal. Within the first 30 seconds we were in our 1st class 4 and it just got better from there. We had such an amazing time, and suggest the Osprey to everyone that wants to raft in Leavenworth!

Visited May 2013
Bellingham, Washington
3 attraction reviews
“A lot of fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and i went for our anniversary and had a great time. It was 100 degrees (literally) so a perfect time to be on the water. This late in the year the class III whitewater is limited to just a couple of sections at the beginning: after that it's a mix of very quiet floating and an occasional class II stretch (though i still managed to get bounced out and join the Wenatchee River Swim Team). But Osprey gives you the option to switch from rafts to inflatable kayaks part-way down, so we opted for a two-person kayak and 2-for-1 floating fun. It's quiet and relaxing, not too much work, and a nice way to enjoy the river. Mattie B and the other guides were very helpful and clearly worked to make sure everybody had a good time (while also covering the safety basics).

A few things to be aware of:
- you don't really have the chance to take anything along on the raft with you. They take pictures (available afterwards, for a price: we bought two). It would be nice to have some water part-way through (they provide it at the end, along with their barbeque).
- at the beginning you have to walk a couple of hundred yards to the launching point, so you need some kind of water shoes
- they take a picture at the beginning: you might want to stand toward one of the ends, and wear something you don't mind getting wet

Visited July 2013
“SUPER-RAD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I took my wife rafting for our first time. It was so fun. Our guide, Reed was excellent, a real professional. We got all wet!

Visited June 2013