“Every nutcracker imaginable” 5 of 5 stars

St. Louis, Missouri
21 attraction reviews
“Every nutcracker imaginable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

My 10-year-old son and I visited the Nutcracker Museum while we were in Leavenworth for river rafting.
My son has liked nutcrackers ever since he was in kindergarten and his music teacher introduced music from The Nutcracker to his class. Ever since then I have given him at least one nutcracker for Christmas.
We went in and paid the admission fee, a total of $3.50 for both of us ($2.50 for adult and $1 for child). For that price I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly amazed. The AAA guide book says there are 5,000 nutcrackers in the museum, and I believe it. Nutcrackers neatly filled large display cases in two large rooms.
Shortly after we entered, the woman who ran the museum asked my son if he wanted to go on a nutcracker hunt. She gave him and another boy who was there a list of nutcrackers to look for. After my son had found them, she gave him a button to wear.
We loved seeing all the different kinds of nutcrackers. There were The Beatles nutcrackers, president nutcrackers, Wizard of Oz nutcrackers, Star Wars nutcrackers...the list goes on and on.

The only thing I didn't like was that taking photos was not allowed, because I really want to show some of the nutcrackers to other people. Also, a gift shop/area that sold postcards with pictures of the nutcrackers and/or inexpensive nutcrackers would have been nice. (There were some nutcrackers for sale on a shelf but none of them looked especially interesting to me, and I assumed they were pricey. There were small nutcrackers for sale at a nearby store, but they looked like overpriced versions of nutcrackers I can buy here during Christmas time).