“Mixed Feelings About this Place” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #56 of 71 Restaurants in Leavenworth
Cuisines: Dessert, German, Hamburgers, Pizza & Pasta
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Dessert
Description: The oldest family-owned restaurant in Leavenworth! Our recipes are original and the preparations are made right here. We make our own sauces, brines, and dough and our breads are fresh-baked everyday. When you dine with us, you enjoy the kind of food that only a professional can take the time to prepare. We serve authentic German cuisine, pizzas, pasta, sandwiches, and more. Enjoy!
Yakima, Washington
“Mixed Feelings About this Place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Two of our party got the schnitzel sandwich. The child plate of chicken tenders and fries was bland but generously portioned and cooked correctly (not greasy or underdone).

The best thing was we got seated and served quickly even though it was busy and a festival day. We got window seats and enjoyed the festival view, which occupied the toddler immensely. This makes eating out doable with a four-year-old. Not many Leavenworth eateries have a good window seat low enough for a child. This is good to know. Why don't they offer mac-n-cheese, which is all picky eaters will eat??? This would help me want to go back with my picky eater.

The sandwiches were not that great. The pounded and fried meat was, again, cooked quite well but a bit bland. The sauerkraut was, to me, very intensely flavored with fennel seed. I wished they had it written in the menu that it was fennel sauerkraut because my husband is NOT a fan! So he had none of it. The potato salad was also very strongly flavored with an herb. Now I like vinegar and herb flavors, so I enjoyed the kraut and salad! The bread was okay. I would eat there again if I wanted those flavors.

I felt it was superior in flavor to lunch at Andreas Keller. Keller has a nicer atmosphere, in terms of German decor and finer dishes, glassware, and flatware.

For me, when I eat out, I don't like places that use cheap tables, chairs, and plastic everything. It feels tacky.

If I could get them to improve the decor, the flatware and glassware, the music, and to season their food with just a little paprika, then I think we'd be happy. The servers didn't offer our child a coloring page, which I didn't notice until we left. But the service was adequate, just not "special" like it should be in a special place, like Leavenworth.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Puyallup, Washington
“Awful service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Should have known better than eating here when we seen the place was empty. After waiting for them to clean a table (remember it was empty) they sat us at a table that was wet. The people around us received their drinks first..even though we were sat first. Waitress had no knowledge of what the seasonal beer was and pointed to the advertisement on the table. Both of the waitresses looked inexperienced and were not friendly. The pizza was good but do not think we will go back next time.

Visited June 2014
Kent, Washington
“I'm not sure why people don't like it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

My daughter had pizza and it was great! Hot and cheesy just like it should be! My wife had the Napoleon Schnitzel and it smelled so good! I had to eat a burger because of my diet and it was great! I would come back after my diet for the Brats!

Renton, Washington
“Decent Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Nice, quiet Sunday morning breakfast. Menu was not overwhelming, which is really nice for a breakfast. There was only one waitress, but there were only about three sets of customers. She was attentive, and the food came out in a timely fashion. And tasty. No issues at all. No problem trying this place again.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Overland Park, Kansas
“Do not waste your time or money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

We just ate there and I had to get back to my hotel to get this review off in hopes I can save others from the same mistake I made. First, I wish I had read some of the reviews prior to trying this place. The service was OK/fair - the rest was downhill. The schnitzel did not taste like any I had ever eaten in Germany or other good German restaurants - it's downfall was the seasoning - no idea what it was but nearly unpalawtable - had I not been so hungry, I would have walked out. The kraut was worse - way too strong; flavorless steamed (?) carrots and broccoli; pickled (?) red cabbage and decent fried potatoes. All in all, not a pleasant experience.

Visited June 2014