“just average” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Heidelberg, Germany
“just average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Visiting from Germany and everybody told me I have to go to Leavenworth and to eat I had to go to the Keller Restaurant.
Leavenworth is a really nice place but the food was very disappointing.
Not what I expected after so many recommendations. The Schnitzel was pounded so thin that I almost didn't see any meat just breading. In Germany that would be the place we make fun about the Schnitzels. The red cabbage looked and tasted like out of a glass or can? Didn't taste homemade at all. The Spaetzle had a somewhat funny color, why?
I can't believe the good rating that Restaurant has. I will choose another Restaurant the next time I'm visiting.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
jglover4168, Manager at Andreas Keller Restaurant, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
I am sorry your schnitzel was not to your liking, we know how difficult it is to find German food while not in Germany. That being said, we have a difficult time with the "German" food label as we would more accurately describe our cuisine as Bavarian; and not just Bavarian, but home-cooked, family recipes straight out of Niederbayern. Our chef, manager, and owner all pursue these particular dishes, and though they differ sometimes from what Germany in general is known for, we do hope that this will be a positive factor for our guests. In addition, our red cabbage and spaetzle noodles are also made from scratch in our own kitchen, and to the same requirements, so it is possible they will not be exact replicas of every region's version of the German staple. We do hope you give us another chance, maybe give a grilled schnitzel a try, and enjoy the fun atmosphere and gemuetlichkeit.

80% Recommend
Tacoma, Washington, United States
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The food was good. More on the German side. I'm not used to German food so it was a bit different for me. Their wine was yummy and I am NOT a wine drinker. The service was good as well.

Visited May 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Really?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Being a German town, I expected to get a real good authentic German cuisines. Unfortunately, I was wrong. I am not going to talk about the service or how interesting their seats look like. Just the taste of the food was enough for me to give 1 star.

Beer: blend, cannot feel the freshness. I quoted as "dead" beer; guessing they're not controlling their beer properly.

Sausage: cosmetically, it was already damaged. Sides were busted, peels were coming apart. It also smelt quite old. Again not fresh..

Pretzel: cosmetic texture was like a croissant (meaning bad)... rather than a pretzel. Only way to implement the texture is to froze and de-frost an old pretzel multiple times. Tasted exactly like it looked...

Schnitzel: something that was better than the other. Not impressive though.

I been to numerous other German places in US, so I'm not being subjective. I can't really believe my fellow tripadvior reviewers are giving such a high score... was it just me?

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
We are sorry the food you ordered was not to your liking, as we do take great pride in the recipes, ingredients and execution in every meal, and try our best to pass this on to our guests. I would like to put you at ease, however, by telling you that our beer and sausages are both fresh and regularly checked for quality, as they are some of the most popular items. Our sausages are made in small batches by a local butcher, and therefore can be more fragile during the cooking progress. Our beer is imported directly from Germany, and we work with our distributors to ensure we get the most premium product available. Our pretzels, though they are not the traditional doughy, soft pretzel associated with Oktoberfest, are also from a Washington source and are one of our signatures. Knowing this, we hope you give us another chance. Thank you for your help in making us a better restaurant!
Florida
“Dinner in the Alps”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

While visiting our son in Seattle we took a side trip to the beautiful town of Leavenworth. What a beautiful setting for a great dinner of schnitzel with spatzele. This restaurant is downstairs with no view of the mountains. I was able to have a chicken schnitzel instead of the traditional pork. My husband had the pork with a side order of potato salad that was really good. My son ordered a beer that for some reason he did not enjoy, so they credited our check. I would return to this restaurant for the schnitzel and recommend. The prices were about $17.00 for each dinner. There was an accordion player entertaining us while we dined.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tumwater
“My favorite restaurant in Leavenworth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The food is wonderful - delicious and authentically German, with a good selection of beers to complement. Their mustard is housemade and delicious too (my hubby ate it with a spoon), and they sell jars to take home. It's also fun to sit in their booths, which feel like sitting in a big beer barrel. Definitely my favorite restaurant in Leavenworth.

Visited August 2013
Thank you for feedback, we are so happy you enjoyed yourselves. There is so much good food to be offered in Leavenworth, and we truly pride ourselves in being apart of this delicious ensemble. We hope to have you again!