“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
South is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 74 Restaurants in Leavenworth
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 9th Street
Transit: The trolley stops in front of SOUTH and the Link bus stop is about 300 feet away.
Description: South is a lively family friendly restaurant and bar with two locations, Wenatchee and Leavenworth Washington. We specialize in modern Latin food and drinks. Everything is fresh and homemade including our cocktail mixes. Our ambiance is a mix of antique and modern with bright colors in an eclectic design style. Check out our website.
Versailles, France
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

I seem to be an outsider here disappointed by the food amongst so many excellent reviews. The waiter, who was agreeable but nothing more, didn't really know the menu as he asked me if I wanted chicken or beef in my enchilada -well no, actually I chose a sweet potato enchilada that never comes with meat/poultry. The bill came even before we'd had a chance to order coffee, then we were told the coffee was on the house but it ended up on the bill...
The enchilada itself wasn't the best I've ever had, the wine wasn't up to my expectations either which is a shame in a good wine producing region. So the atmosphere remains: very nice, fun decoration.

• Visited April 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Bellevue, Washington
“Tired of bratwurst, go "South"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

Creative and yummy latin food in a casual setting. Try the Carnitas plate-melt in your mouth pork with carmelized edges surrounded by beans and rice that hold their own with unique flavors. Salsa bar and inventive cocktails boost the hip factor of this place. Huge bowls of chips and a green bean appetizer that shouldn't be missed. A delicious oasis in Leavenworth where German food is the norm.

• Visited March 2011
Gig Harbor, Washington
“Completely met our expectations...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

I use Tripadvisor on a regular basis to check out restaurants, and as reference for trying new places to eat. I was pleased to see on the reviews the reccomendations for reservations, and was happy to see that they use Open Table. I made reservations that same day for 6:30, knowing it would be a busy Saturday in Leavenworth.

We waltzed in at 6:25, and were taken directly to our table. The place was packed, and I was thrilled we had a reservation. Our waitress was very pleasant and happy doing her job, which really makes a difference to me... We had flour tortillas with guacamole and took full advantage of the choices on the Salsa Bar. The salsa was unique and fresh... yummy choice. We ordered the Big Wet Burrito and split it as it was definately enough for us both. I took a reccomendation from another review and tried the Basil Margarita... again, another GREAT choice. Our visit was wonderful, and I'll be taking friends and family to South as a treat when in Leavenworth, as we just purchased a condo there. South is now on the top of my list of favorites in town. The only drawback... it's a bit noisy, but that doesn't concern me... people are happy and enjoying themselves.

• Visited March 2011
Leavenworth, WA
“Come here to eat and have fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

The food is great, love the green beans with lime and mole enchiladas (the only thing I have ever had here I didn't like was the sweet potato enchiladas).

They have a band that plays friday nights and I love their Basil Margaritas, it sounds weird but fantastic drink!

I am local and most of the people I know who live here love this place, that says it all.

• Visited January 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Majorca, Spain
“Just go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

Amazing food amidst the fun tourist kitsch of Leavenworth. Hands down the best place to eat in town unless you are looking for a pig knuckle and kraut. Truly great, great food, amazing cocktails, and importantly, on a busy weekend with a 2 hour wait and piles of people around the door we waltzed right in with our reservation and our table was waiting, candle lit. Huge kudos to South for honoring their reservations! We'll be back any time we visit Leavenworth. Don't miss it (and make a reservation, at least for dinner!).

• Visited December 2010