“Public Health Hazard & Lying Staff” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 45 restaurants in Lake Stevens
Cuisines: Italian
Marysville, Washington
“Public Health Hazard & Lying Staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We were excited to try Luca’s – it had been highly recommended to us. I’m 6 months pregnant and our little family of 3 (husband, me, and 2-year old son) went for a bite. We ordered the calamari for an appetizer and here’s where it went south.
1. On my second bite of calamari, I noticed something cold in my mouth. I started “digging” through the appetizer and found two HUGE globs of completely raw calamari. (The full small squid, not the rings). They were cold, slimy, transparent, and quite obviously NOT cooked.
2. We talked to the waiter and he nonchalantly said, “Oh, I’ll have them heat it up.” I declined and said we weren’t really in the mood for the calamari anymore. Not impressed with such a lackluster response and no apology.
3. A few minutes later, they offered to bring us a substitute appetizer. We said thank you and accepted. The rest of the dinner was good – until the bill came.
4. They CHARGED us $2 more for our substitute appetizer than we would have been charged for the calamari. I was shocked, considering I was served raw squid as a pregnant lady. I talked to the server, and told him I wanted to discuss with a manager.
5. The manager came out and explained to me how the squid was “fully cooked” and there was nothing wrong with our appetizer. The chef and her had looked at it. UM – liars! It was raw, 100%, most definitely raw! After talking to her, she finally agreed to remove the substitute appetizer. While preparing the bill, I remark to my husband (which the server overhead), “They’re not getting one penny for a tip!”
6. The new bill comes back, but now, magically, instead of a table of 3, we are a table of 8, and they have added gratuity. We ask the server if it’s standard practice. He says “yes”. LIE #2!! I ask him to get me a copy of the menu that shows that a party of 3 will be automatically charged. I add that if I get food poisoning, they will have a much bigger problem on their hands.
7. A new manager comes over. We ask him why it shows we are a table of 8, since the first bill did not. He said it’s not based on number of people, but on number of items. YES – that bad of a LIE. Lie #3. (Oh, by the way, even with the appetizer, there were only 7 items, not 8 – count before you start lying and digging yourself a worst hole).
8. After we caught the new manager in this third lie, he just said we could leave. And, we did. And, we will NEVER, ever be back. And, I’m contacting the public health department. I wouldn’t be so upset if it weren’t for the lying and manipulative behavior of at least three of the staff members. Truly the worst dining experience I’ve ever had.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

61% Recommend
Seattle, WA
“Good authentic italian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We've only been here a couple of times, but the food was good and service was good as well. I'm one of those "domestic" Italian foodies, so I don't have the taste for the "authentic" stuff. Cost is reasonable and the staff is very personable. Luca's is really popular and a lot of people love it, so I will add my seal of approval as well.

Visited May 2013
Lake Stevens, Washington
“Food is good, price is high”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We like the food, but think the prices are high for the portion size. Nice staff and very attentive. The pizza is pretty good.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Everett, Washington
“Excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

A variety of Italian menu items including pizzas, pastas, salads. A pleasant place with Italian decor. The service was quite attentive, frequently offering to refill water glasses and the bread basket, etc. Flavorful food served attractively. Located near the intersection of two state highways so easy to access.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
seattle, wa
“Food and service both slipping”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Tonight my husband and I joined another couple here for dinner.
The experience was just odd, and it used to be a great little place.
The website is outdated, it mentions a buffet on Sunday but they don't have that any more.
They did offer a 2 for $20 dinner with appetizer, so we ordered that as did our friends.
The appetizer was... one small piece of bruschetta each. That's right, 4 pieces for 4 people. It was like getting a small plate with 4 saltines on it !
The beer they advertized on a sign inside the restaurant they don't carry any more.
The salads, which cost extra, were small pieces of lettuce with maybe 3 croutons and a barely perceptable dusting of dried parmigian cheese.
3 meals came togther, we all waited for #4. They used to ask if you wanted freshly grated cheese but this time we asked and recieved a bottle of parmigian.
The lasagna was actually burned at the bottom, and when we notified the server she literally said "Oh, I'll go let them (who's them?) know that.
She did take $10.00 off the bill (2 for $20) but left the $2.50 meat sauce charge on the bill.
Then she never asked if we wanted separate checks and gave us just one (2 couples, seems obvious to me but...)
So a very odd exprience and we all decided we won;t be going back soon, whch is a shame.

• Visited February 2013