“Average” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Olympia, Washington
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The all fried menu was average in price and taste. They offer a selction of fish and seafood fried items and southern sides. This is an order out or quick eat kinda place, there are few tables. Its just missing something.

61% Recommend
Tumwater, WA
“Best Catfish out the south”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

My hubby and I eat at Beau Legs as often as we can. I am from Georgia and this place has real southern food...ie catfish, okra, collard greens and fried dill pickles...also, pulled pork and po boys we also like the chowder.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Seattle
“Southern cooking in the PNW-but with plastic forks.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is the second "Beau Legs" restaurant in the area. We ate there yesterday, and were not disappointed.

The building has seen better days. The atmosphere is straight up sports bar, with the inevitable background music from the 60's.

No matter. I ordered the small basket of catfish, my husband ordered the cod. I was a bit wary: catfish, despite it's humble origins, can be dicey to cook. Overcooked, it's tasteless. Undercooked, it's muddy. Improperly cleaned, it's worthless.
Let's not forget that this is the Land of Salmon. I wondered if the catfish would be properly cooked.
In this case, my catfish was perfect. Hot, not over breaded, perfectly cooked. My husband's cod was the same.
We ordered fries with no salt. While they were obviously industrially produced, they were hot, crispy and perfectly cooked, without a hint of greasiness.
Included were two factory made hushpuppies, which weren't bad, but they still weren't the quality of hushpuppies I learned to love while stationed in North Carolina.

The coleslaw, included in the meal, was good...but it, as well as the tartar sauce, was packed in little plastic tubs. Gad, I hate those things.

Beau Legs offers microbrews, thank goodness. I had the water.

Ironically, Beau Legs is directly across the street from a franchised fish and chips place, Skippers. I won't go back to Skippers, not after eating at Beau Legs.

My only nits are: the paucity of napkins provided by our prompt server, and the fact that the meal was served in a basket-with a pathetic excuse of a flimsy plastic fork.

The fork is utterly useless, so one ended up eating with one's fingers. The napkins were small, so thin as to be tissue thickness and again, unable to properly wipe one's fingers on after eating fries and fish.

Beau Legs, put out some hefty napkins, and use real metal silverware, and you'll get a much higher ranking from me.

But I WILL be back.