“Kerstin's no longer up to par” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Cannon Beach, Oregon
“Kerstin's no longer up to par”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

In the past, friends always suggested going to Kerstin's when in La Conner. While there mid-week, we were able to get a reservation. I had cioppino, my husband had a large salad and crostini. The food was reasonably tasty but can't compare with what we've had elsewhere for the same price. However, the 'ambiance' was appalling, to say the least. Not only was the table dusty, the charger plates were, too! Only one table had flowers and they were dead. Since the door and a window were open, at least 10 insects flew around in the sunlight; they weren't flies but it was unsettling. The service was fine, but I wonder why the owner/manager hasn't instructed the staff that dust collects when the restaurant is closed for a day?

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

83% Recommend
Kelowna, Canada
“simply excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My fiance stopped by late on a friday night. Despite the fact that we didn't have reservations and they only typically do one seating, they were happy to show us to a table. We shared the crab salad appetizer and we both had the fillet. The food was excellent with my fiance stating that she thought it might have been the best fillet she's ever had. We travel extensively and usually frequent "the best of the best" when it comes to restaurants....we were very happy and a little surprized. Service was also great and the ambiance is very nice. I found the price very reasonable, but then food and wine are almost always more expensive to the north!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
La Conner, Washington
“Sadly, No Longer My Favorite Restaurant....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband and I have been dining at Kerstin's on special occasions for years and have always considered it one of our favorite restaurants....wonderful food and ambience. But sadly, after having dinner there a couple evenings ago for my birthday, we were both very disappointed.....in the quality of the food, the portion size, and the increase in prices. We both had the shrimp dinner, a dirty martini and a glass of wine. Everything was considerably smaller than our last visit in November and the shrimp dinner was nothing to speak of....very different from the Kerstin's we remember. We left the restaurant hungry and disappointed. Obviously, Kerstin's has changed hands....Regretably, we will no longer be dining there.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Washington
“Still relaxing and delicious, but less so”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

My husband and I visited Kerstin's for our anniversary. We have eaten at this establishment several times over the years and have always known it to be a stellar dining experience. It is my understanding that there has been a change in ownership, but I am not certain of that. Regardless, I would have to say that, although the prices remain very steep, the cuisine is not up to the previous standard. The atmosphere is always pleasant, quiet and unrushed, which I appreciate immensely. In the past, the food was exceptional. This time, I would say it was delicious, but the portions were very small and I did not feel that either the beef tenderloin or the prawns were anything special, although they were tasty. We also ordered a spinach salad, and I thought the dressing was bland and oily. The rolls served seemed a little tasteless to me, even with the olive oil/garlic/roasted red pepper condiment, but then I bake my own bread and am quite picky about that. For the price, I am afraid that we will not be likely to return anytime soon. It makes me sad, because this was always our place to go when we wanted to splurge. It is not bad, just not up to the creative standard one expects when paying over $30 for an entree.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Seattle
“Great view & intimate dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

We had dinner at Kerstin's mid-week so it was very quiet and laid back. Service was great although I think it was a one person wait crew (Sarah). If you're in a rush, this is not the place to eat. If you want to enjoy your meal and the view you will love this restaurant. I had the duck breast with risotto & the hubby had the cioppino. I enjoyed the duck but my husband has tried better cioppino which is not to say this wasn't good but he's enjoyed better. The bread rolls they have were to die for!! We brought our own 1/2 bottle of wine & corkage is $20/bottle which is about the average rate at most fine restaurants. Only problem is we paid $20 not $10 for a half bottle so if we brought a magnum I'm assuming we'd only pay $20 right? Would we return, I would but I'm not so sure about the hubby.

Visited April 2012