“Best "Just outside Seattle" Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Juanita is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 235 Restaurants in Kirkland
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
seattle
“Best "Just outside Seattle" Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

While Café Juanita isn't within Seattle City Limits, it is certainly one of the jewels in Seattle's Restaurant Crown. Chef Holly Smith works magic with her menu, producing mouth-watering dishes to please even the most discriminating palate. Her dishes are imaginatively conceived and beautifully executed using only the best of ingredients. I love eating at Café Juanita because I have NEVER been disappointed. It is my favorite "go-to restaurant" for those special occasions.

• Visited November 2013

Kirkland
“What a disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Wow -- what a disappointment. What could have been a fantastic experience failed on nearly every measure. Plenty of wait staff, lots of chefs in the kitchen, not terribly crowded. But the seating arrangements are abysmal... vinyl bench seating on one side (at least 6" too low) and they put me on the crack in between two sections. Not very comfortable. And the tables were placed so closely together that any waitstaff or other clients ended up with their butt in my face when moving between the tables. Not terribly pleasant for anyone. We waited FOREVER for any one to come by to offer us water. The food flavors were nice, but -- come on, guys... nothing on the appetizer menu without meat? Not a single one? And only one fish dish? This is Seattle, not Omaha. My "silk handkerchief" pasta dish, for $17, had about 5 bites worth on a 15" plate -- no kidding. Lovely bites, but it wasn't even available as a full-sized portion, which some of the other plates were. We waited 20 minutes after the dessert menus were presented to get anyone to come back and ask if we wanted anything. Needless to say, we won't be back.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bellevue, WA
“second visit.....not so great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I first visited Café Juanita in December, 2013 for a friend's birthday and I thought it was great. The food, the atmosphere, the portions, everything. On that evening, I ordered the rabbit, which is one of their signature dishes. I loved Café Juanita so much I wanted to bring my husband there, so I made a reservation for my birthday in February. Everything was excellent, except the portion size for my part of the meal. Just in case you are wondering...I am 5 foot 7 and weigh about 120 lbs., so I'm probably not what you would call a huge eater and I don't choose restaurants for value in portion size. I often order just salad and an appetizer for dinner. Also, my husband and I often go out to other high-end "gourmet" restaurants in the area.

Anyway, my husband and I ordered the prosciutto as an appetizer (all fine) and he ordered the beef cheeks and I ordered the winter citrus salad and the scallops. The scallops were a special for the evening. My husband's portion sizes were perfectly fine, but the winter citrus salad was quite small and when the scallops arrived, I was shocked to see just 3 medium (not large) scallops on the plate with some "daubs" of the other items the waitress said came with the scallops. I would guess that between my salad and my entrée, there were about 200 calories worth of food. Thank goodness we also ordered the cauliflower because I would have been ravenous. I usually don't eat bread in restaurants, but we finished off one round and I ordered a second round of bread, which is unheard of for me.

In retrospect, I probably should have complained about the portion size. I think the waitress has some responsibility to let the customer know that it was a small portion-sized entrée. I noticed someone else ordered the scallops and received 4 (!) but maybe the portions were determined by weight, not by number of scallops. Everything was incredibly delicious and well-prepared, but I won't return...I'll save my pennies for some of the other high-end restaurants in the area because this was ridiculous.

By the way, the cost came to $13 per scallop! (and they weren't big!)

• Visited February 2014
Seattle, Washington
“Too salty”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Everything from bread, appetizers, to entrees is too salty. The only thing worth ordering is the king crab leg salad.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tumon, Mariana Islands
“Great Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Great food and excellent service. The servers were great. They were so attentive into details. The best experience was I had the chance to try the braised rabbit. Chef Holly Smith is one of my favorite chefs.

• Visited December 2012