“Very pleased” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Tri-cities, WA
“Very pleased”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I'll start by saying I've only eaten 3 restaurant meals in my life that I'd rate "5 stars" or "excellent" so the fact that I've rated this one with 4 stars does not reflect negatively on this restaurant. Next I'll add that I like all Japanese food A LOT and my partner likes some Japanese food. Furthermore we've eaten in all the other Japanese restaurants/sushi bars in the Tri-Cities multiple times and in many in the greater Seattle and Portland areas innumerable times. All that said, we had a very happy experience yesterday for lunch at this little restaurant. I'll grant that the wait staff is perhaps not yet totally up to par on Japanese cuisine, but they were friendly and very eager to please and quick get us answers to our questions even if they didn't immediately have the answers themselves. Food service was quick. And ahh, the food! For those who aren't familiar with Japanese food the thing to bear in mind is that most Japanese food is about the subtlety of flavors. The miso soup was really good as was our Agedashi Tofu appetizer and the temperature of both were perfect when they arrived at the table.
I've got to insert a note regarding sake'. The sake' selection is very limited here, BUT, they do have "g" sake' in 300 ml bottles from the Sake'One brewery in Forest Grove, Oregon, and at a price that is 50% lower than I was charged 2 weeks ago in a different Tri-Cities sushi bar. If you like sake' and you haven't sampled this one yet, you owe it to yourself to try it and to visit this brewery.
Back to the food. I ordered the Dragon Roll. Best I've ever had. Eel is a tough one to get right. My partner had the salmon roll and was equally pleased. The thing about sushi rolls is, if you can't pick up each piece with your chopsticks and dip it in soy sauce without having even a single rice grain fall off before you put it in your mouth, then it isn't right. Flavor is 50% and presentation is the other 50%. This was as good as it gets in my experience so far. And then for dessert I ordered Tako (Octopus) Nigiri and it was the equal of the best I've ever had.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

85% Recommend
Troy, Montana
“Exactly what we needed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Fresh and good sushi, friendly and efficient service, and we will go out of our way to come here again. An absolute "pick-me-up" to find this in our travels today. Very, very good!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tri-Cities, WA
“Great selection of sushi, Chinese and Teriyaki.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have had several pleasant meals here at Osaka, but I also haven't had the sushi, and don't like it most of the time.

Why do I like Osaka then? My partner loves sushi. I love Chinese. Osaka is another option in the Tri-Cities that allows us to both get what we want... with one big improvement: their combo meals allow me to have Chinese AND Teriyaki! Win/Win/Win for us.

Service has always been friendly and fast. Will eat here again and again.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent service from front door to checkout!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

A bit spendy, but excellent service all around. Helpful owner, beautiful craftsmanship, great food. Will definately be back and will send friends and family too.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kennewick, Washington
“pleasant atmosphere, good selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was not the best sushi I have ever had, but it was decent. They had a nice selection of Japanese, Korean and Chinese dishes to please everyone. The atmosphere was very pleasant. I will probably return. Very convenient to Hwy 395 and 27th Avenue near the new hospital that is going in and the sports complex.

• Visited September 2012