“Good But A Little Unconventional” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #58 of 185 Restaurants in Kennewick
Cuisines: Thai
Kennewick, Washington
“Good But A Little Unconventional”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We had a Sunday afternoon dinner on March 23 at the Thai Garden Restaurant. The atmosphere is a bit spartan, but was pleasant and quiet (we were the only customers in the restaurant for the duration of our meal). The waiter was quite friendly and helpful.

The chicken satay appetizer was generous (6 skewers) and tasty, but a little different than satay that we've had at other Thai restaurants. The sauce was definitely a peanut sauce, but it was an odd color and texture -- kind of a transluscent dark brown jelly consistency rather that the opaque tan sauce we're used to.

My wife had a green curry with avocado and shrimp which she reported as being very good and the right spice/heat level. It was a very generous portion. The curry was very thin, almost like a soup, but with lots of added vegetables (including big chunks of avocado) and the shrimp.

My daughter had Pad Thai which she told us was also quite good but not like Pad Thai she is accustomed to. The sauce was sweeter than usual and had a striking similarity to the sauce on the chicken satay appetizer (a dark brown color). It was also a little unusual to have the peanuts and shrimp served off to the side of the pile of noodles, rather than sprinkled on top or mixed into the noodles.

I had a "spicy" whole fish served with a nice mixture of vegetables (that "smothered" the fish) and a sauce that was really not spicy at all. The waiter brought out, at my request, something to spice it up -- some hot sauce (Sriracha) and a very dry, but very hot, chili paste which helped to kick it up a notch. The fish was quite tasty with a nice crispy skin and was very easy to get off the bones. It just needed more heat.

We asked for brown rice rather than white rice (which would have come with the curry and fish). This was an extra $3.00 charge per serving (stated in the menu and, in fact, charged) which we think is a bit exorbitant, considering the size of the portion and that we were replacing the included white rice.

They were out of some of what would have been a nice selection of teas on the menu.

All in all, a tasty meal, but the preparations were a little different in appearance than we are used to in Thai food and the seasoning level (in the case of my fish entree) was not what I had ordered.

Visited March 2014

Kennewick, Washington
“Good food, great people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I live fairly close to Thai Garden and had never tried it before. It is in an odd place. The food was excellent. I got the Swimming Rama and it was very tasty. The Mother and Son running the restaurant were so friendly and I ended up chatting with the son for a while. I will be back for sure!

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kelvin Heights
“Best Thai food in Tri-Cities?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

There is discussion on this topic, but the Thai Garden gets my vote. The son-and-mother team in this small place put out great food. Pahd Thai in particular, especially the shrimp variety, is sensational. It's always busy at lunch and the buffet is great, although you might have to wait a bit for some of the items to be replenished.

Visited June 2013
“Didnt taste fresh”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Wont go back, nothing good that I tried here and restraunt was dirty. Couldnt even finish my pod thai noodles.

Visited August 2012
Bend Oregon
“Nothing Special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Quality and taste seemed average. Price was high for what you received on the plate. Staff was very friendly, perhaps that should have been a warning. Wouldn't drive out of my way to visit again.

• Visited July 2012