“Unfriendly, rude and poor service” 1 of 5 stars

Red Lion Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   602 N Young St, Kennewick, WA 99336   |
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Kennewick
Nampa, ID
“Unfriendly, rude and poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

Although there were a few good things I could mention about the Cedars Inn Kennewick, all of the negative things completely outweigh the few positives.

The hotel botched my reservation. I called on January 24 for February 25 reservations for a soccer tournament that my daughter was attending. I asked the lady who made the reservation to send me an email confirmation when I made the reservation. I never got it. I called the next morning, again requesting an email confirmation, never got it. At 10:30 pm that night (Jan. 25) the Cedars Inn hotel calls and asks where I am. I explained the reservation was for February 25 and the lady said she would change my reservation to that date. Thirty minutes later at 11 PM she called back, and woke me up again. She stated she only had a handicapped room with a king, my original reservation was two queens. I said that would be fine and please send me a confirmation. Next morning, no confirmation. I called back and finally received my confirmation.

When we arrived on February 25 the lady at the counter was very unfriendly, almost rude. I explained to her I had a reservation and I had two girls who have reservations under the soccer team and provided the lady with their names. She stated she had no rooms keys left for the soccer team, that I would have to contact the individual who made the reservations, After finally getting my room key, which took about 10 minutes, I looked down and on the counter was a room key cover with my daughter’s name on it and the other girl name I had with me. I asked the lady about the key, and she looked down at it and realized she did have a room key for the girls. The key cover also had my name on the other side.

We checked into our rooms and I stated to unpack. I turned the TV on and found that the list of TV channels on the counter did not work on this TV. I went down stairs and the lady told me the list was incorrect, that I could go to channel 95 and find the list of channels.

At about 11 pm, I tried to get some sleep, but the rooms above me were occupied by a semi pro football team, and there was nothing quiet about them. I don’t’ think it was intentional, just poor quality construction, thin floors and walls.

The next morning I was up at 6 am, and took a shower and found little cheap towels. When I went down for breakfast, I was sadly disappointed. This is a continental breakfast, about what you get at a discount hotel. There were two ladies trying to cook waffles, but the waffle iron kept burning them. And the omelets were a joke. I settled on cold cereal and coffee.

On Sunday morning, I went down to breakfast at 7:15 am. The breakfast area was full, since there is only seating for 19 guests. I ended up standing and eating my cold cereal along with several other guests. I went to get coffee, and one of the containers was empty. I went and told the lady at the front counter and she went and replaced it. I also had tried to get OJ, but it was also empty and the red light was on, but the lady was in too big a hurry to get back to her chair and computer. After finishing my coffee, I went and told the lady the OJ was empty and the red light was on. She got up and exchanged it, and returned to her computer.

Our girls’ team came down about 8:15 for breakfast, and I asked if they could use the board room so they won’t take up all the seats. The lady at the front desk said no and was not very nice about it. Several other guests came down while the girls were having their breakfast, got their food and finding no room to sit down, went back to their rooms or stood. As soon as the girls were done eating, I had them clean up their tables and make room for other guests. From the time I arrive downstairs at 7:15 to the time I returned to my room, about 8:45, the lady at the counter never once cleaned the tables.

I also asked for late checkout on Sunday, to 12 noon, and was told no, and was very unfriendly about it.

The hotel states on the website we offer “ same level of comfort, luxury, affordability and service you'll find at our brand-new hotel and suites facility.” WRONG, this is nothing but a new and clean Motel 6 or Super 8. The staff is not friendly or welcoming, and by Sunday, they were rude and lazy. There is nothing luxurious about Cedars Inn. I asked the other parents how their stay was, none of them were pleased

I also sent an email to the GM three days ago and have not heard back.

Rob Nampa, ID

• Stayed February 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

Loved our stay at this hotel while in the area visiting family. Had some experiences with hotels in Kennewick not being that great before but Cedars surpassed all of our expectations. They provide gorgeous rooms at great rates, and a delicious breakfast in the morning. Was great to be greeted by a warm staff that's not all business, they make you feel right at home. Did not experience any of what people were complaining about on here, hotel was pretty full due to holidays, but we didn't hear a neighbor once.Next time we come to town, we will be gladly returning to Cedars.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Yakima, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

Family members from four different locations, Oregon, Canada, Yakima and Kennewick were all able to get together for a few days at the Cedars Inn. They had an awesome suite for the largest family with children, and seperate rooms for the rest of us! All rooms were beautiful, and close enough to each other, to easily visit back and forth. The children and some adults really enjoyed the swimming pool, and its nice warm water.
The hours were convenient, and plenty of big fluffy towels for everyone. The suite was amazing, with a nice kitchen, and a living room that accomodated many of us. Breakfast in the lobby was very good, with a nice assortment of foods. Everything was very clean and the staff was accomodating to everyone. One night the desk clerk brought a plate of cookies to the room, when she baked them for the front lobby! WOW! Anxious to stay at the inn, next time we meet in Kennewick. Thank you Cedar's Inn and Suites!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
blue mountains
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

Traveled on business with my husband and spent 2 nights. We were gone all day, but I did pay attention in the areas we used. This is a new hotel ( the desk clerk said they opened in March), so we stayed just 8 mths after opening. For this reason, everything still appears new, however the hotel is not quality built and offers the bare minimum in guest needs/wants. I'll break down my personal 'pros & cons' and you can decide what's important to you:
Pros: New and clean and offers a complimentary continental breakfast, which is ok, not the worst we've had, but not the best either. We thought the beds were pretty comfy, we both slept well. The desk clerk was professional, but we didn't have any issues to resolve..
Cons: No coffee maker in our room, but the lobby does have coffee and flavored creamer. The walls are paper thin - when in the bathroom I could clearly hear the man next door visting with his wife and daughter on his speaker phone. No bathroom fan to clear steam or muffle Anything. The bathtub is there, but is super super tiny. I've never seen such a shallow tub. The towels are Rough and Thin. Ouch!
Fitness room: VERY small with 1 treadmill, 1 eliptical, 1 riding bike and a couple of free weights. No mirrors. The water cooler bottle was empty.
Overall it was a positive experience based on the current status of New and Clean and I'd recommend the hotel to a friend. The price was right.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Seattle, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

I wish it were possible to give a hotel ZERO stars, because that's what I would rate Cedars Inn and Suites in Kennewick. The worst part of our stay was the horrific customer service. I have NEVER been treated so poorly by hotel staff in my life. Even though we paid for an "Upscale" room, we were given a handicapped-accessible room that had what I would describe as a hospital/nursing home bathroom. I felt uncomfortable in the room because of my experience visiting my grandfather in a nursing home and quickly asked the front desk if we could switch rooms.

Not only did they say no, they lied about why we couldn't switch rooms (they said everyone had checked in, but later admitted that many guests hadn't actually arrived yet and were just "pre-checked" into their system). It wasn't until I threatened to leave bad reviews online that they finally agreed to let us switch rooms. The process of switching our room number in their reservation system literally took 60 seconds. Why all the hassle, rudeness and fuss about something so seemingly simple?

Then, as I was walking away and almost to the elevator, the front desk clerk yelled at me and told me that I "should apologize to the people who were supposed to get the room" I was given...she said they had paid for a room with one bed, but would now be stuck with two beds. I walked right back over to her desk and told her that this was the worst customer service I had ever experienced from a hotel...then the manager came out of her office and threatened to have me removed from the property. WHAT KIND OF MANAGER ALLOWS THEIR STAFF TO TALK TO A CUSTOMER THAT WAY? The front desk clerk was LITERALLY badgering me from 20 feet away...

Not to mention, the room we were ultimately given had two beds also -- just like the other room. AND, the new room was dirty, smaller, right next to the elevator, and had a view of the roof that covered the entranceway. Other than the bathroom, the new room was actually WORSE than the other room....what should I have apologized for?

If the customer service isn't enough to convince you to stay elsewhere, here's a list of other reasons I'd stay somewhere else:

1) The breakfast is awful and completely misrepresented on their website. Omelets? Yeah right. It's either frozen or powdered egg that you have to microwave with your choice of toppings -- cheese, diced ham, and salsa.

2) The beds are so firm that they hurt my back, while the pillows are so soft that they practically swallow your head.

3) The towels are like those used at the Motel 6 - thin, small, and scratchy.

I wouldn't recommend staying here, and next time I'll stay somewhere else and I hope you'll consider doing the same.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

We stayed one night for the tattoo convention going on at the nearby convention center. We live in Kennewick but wanted to be able to walk to the show. The hotel is very new and the rooms are modern. The service was exceptional and friendly. Bed was good and had 5 pillows which I like. Only compliants are very minor - shower head mounted too high and cannot be adjusted, no loud bathroom fan & need better light in bathroom. Those tiny issues aside, it was a relaxing and quiet stay.

• Stayed September 2010
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

Went to check out the WA area. Decided to stay here as it was rated pretty well. We made our reservations a couple of weeks in advance. We arrived at 2:30 in the afternoon on a Wednesday and were told that they " would have to see if our room was ready ", seriously ! We were given a room on the third floor right across the hall from the fitness room, the room under constrution (great), and right next to the stairs. The room had to be 100 degrees when we entered and it took the a/c two hours to get it down to a comfortable temp. I heard the guy next door ask for his razor and we were also treated to some sweet love making sounds later on. The guy doing the constrution was very talkative also ! He wasn't talking to us just whoever he worked for. The stairs are also quite popular. This was the most expensive hotel for our 7 day trip and the worst. To hot and noisy. Awful place.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Lion Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!