“A little bit of the past” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Trail West Motel

Trail West Motel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Coulee
Trail West Motel
You added Trail West Motel to your Saves list
108 Spokane Way, Grand Coulee, WA 99133   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Grand Coulee B&B and Inns
Exeter, United Kingdom
“A little bit of the past”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Admittedly Grand Coulee is off the beaten path. No doubt it is not everone's ideal destination, but this motel had attracted a good number of guests on the night we stayed. The room was typical of rooms from another era. There was a big gap under the door. The bed spreads were faded and/or dirty-- hard to tell. It' s time for a major update if the management is going to continue to charge rates that are similar to those in more exciting destinations.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Juneau, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Picked this motel based on other traveler reviews. It doesn't look like much from the outside; has a tiny pool and no apparent charm aside form a nice neon sign. Room was clean and looked to have been refurbished recently: new small flat screen TV, new bed, new paint. Walls were very thin -- I could hear people on both sides -- and as the window did not open the only ventilation was by running the very noisy air conditioner all night. I stayed a couple nights and while the bed was made and new towels provided, coffee wasn't replenished for the little coffee maker, the trash wasn't emptied and the room wasn't vacuumed each day. It was cheap, $65 per night, and I guess for the price this is what you get.

Room Tip: Stay in Omak.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Burlington, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

When travelling in Eastern Washington we make it a point to stop at Trail West Motel in Grand Coulee. Rooms are clean and price is very reasonable. The pool is great and is worth the visit. Store and restaurants are easily within walking distance. Grand Coulee dam is about a mile away. This is a good central point for several different rides around Eastern WA.

Room Tip: Rooms in the two story section are larger than in main building.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel may not be a five star motel but if you are looking for something clean an convenient, this is it. Sam is the manager and he will bend over backwards to ensure you have a nice stay. We have been going to Grand Coulee for almost 15 years now during the Fourth of July holiday and this was our 3rd stay in this motel. Thanks for a great stay Sam and we will see you again next year!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

My wife and two kids love swimming in the pool. I love the fact after a long day at the lake we can come back to a clean spacious room. The staff is very helpful and friendly. When we come back next year we are defiently staying at the trailwest

• Stayed July 2012
washington state
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We had a two queen room. simple and clean. there was a counter top desk, small refrige, luggage rack. our room did have a tub/shower combo. not fancy by any means but clean goes a long ways. beds were on the hard side, but I like them that way. room was quite enough.

I though customer service was somewhat lacking: there is a coffee pot in the lobby, went in at 8:30am to get a cup of coffee, it was clear that none had been made, when a lady came in (in her robe, hair not done) and asked what I needed I explained that I came in for coffee and there was none so I guess I would have to make some in my room. she said "ok." when I came back to check out still no coffee, she barely acknowledged me from her phone call and it smelled like smoke. the man on the phone that I made my reservations with and that checked us in was on top of it and seemed to know what he was doing.

there is a small pool in the parking lot, it seems to be heated which and my girls enjoyed dipping there toes in it. we were on our way or they would have talked me into staying for a swim.

we were just in town for a quick overnight trip to see the light show then onto our next stop so it was fine for less than 12 hours. i dont think I would stay here for longer though. I gave it an average rating knowing it was a small town motel and did not pretend to be something more, based on other properties we have stayed at it really would be more of a 2/5.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Overall, this is a motel. Not a hotel or resort. So my review is based on as a motel, and will be fair and honest. The motel is under new ownership/management...and they are still getting their feet planted in this town and business. Very nice folks and doing well.

Now the review...

Staff: As mentioned, they are very nice folks. They live on the premisis, and always willing to help and chat with you.

Room: The rooms are very clean, simple and comfortable. The rooms were indicated to be "renovated" possibly for the sale to the new owners (to be clear, it is not remodeled). The walls were painted, bathroom tidy and everything seems to be in order.

The next part is purely based on my room - so I won't generalize. Upon walking into my room, I did check everything out. And here are my notes.
- Bed box spring is old, and lots of stains all over it. Should put bed skirts to cover it.
- Lack of desks or place to put things. There was a chair and a small hutch looking thing. A luggage rack would be nice.
- The HCAV was old and noisy (mostly due to fan blade hitting something internally)...but was effective in ventilating.
- The bed duvet is the typical floral pattern...looks to be 1970 ish. Could use a replacement.
- Bed sheets. They were clean, white, and soft, but showing its age - meaning, the material is thinning in places.

Bathroom: The bathroom was very clean. The toilet even had a sanitized tag over it. But I always bring Lysol wipes anyway. - The shower is just that...don't expect a tub combo. Its about 3x3 ft...so it you are larger, this will be a bit of a squeeze. The water is hot and pressure good.
- No hairdryer. Luckily I brought my own travel dryer. Bring your own if you require one.
- Zero shelving or counter space. All you will have is the little area around the sink, and toilet tank.
- Towels are clean and soft (they must use fabric softener).

Exterior: ok....the appearance can use some work. Which can be done easily too. Since the motel is an older property, some of wood, paint, etc are definitely showing the age. But I do give credit that the doors seem to be painted (red), new door locks and some wood trimwork has been recently replaced. This is a good start. Now what really bugged me the most, was the abundance of spider webs, and the knat caught in it. They are all over the place (exterior window trim, doors, lights, room # sign. A simple pressure washer once a week to knock all that down would do the trick. Very simple. (btw, Grand Coulee area is swarming with knats all over the place. Mosquitos aren't teh problem, its the knats!!).

Other than that, this place has very good value. Again, this is a very small town (everything in walking distance), and the only chain store/place is the new Safeway. That's it. Every business in town is local businesses.

Enjoy!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to Trail West Motel? Share your experiences!