“I would stay at Manitou Lodge again and plan to do so.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Manitou Lodge Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Forks
Manitou Lodge Bed and Breakfast
You added Manitou Lodge Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
813 Kilmer Rd, Forks, WA 98331   |
Ranked #4 of 13 Forks B&B and Inns
Seattle, WA
“I would stay at Manitou Lodge again and plan to do so.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

We stayed in a duplex cabin where they let you bring dogs (not in the main lodge, but I reckon the comments I have would also apply there.) They now have a different breakfast system which is very wonderful, private, convenient, AND TASTY! You get a delivery of a basket of stuff the previous evening to put in your room’s little fridge, and you microwave in your room’s little microwave the parts that need heating and you have a lovely breakfast whenever the hell you want it. Both mornings ours was delicious and fun.

Our particular room had large windows looking out directly (inches away from tree branches) into the forest. Just beautiful and quiet and wonderful! There are also short lovely trails into the woods on the property that we really enjoyed.

We loved it and will definitely go back to Manitou!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

I spent 3 nights at this lodge over the Memorial Day weekend. Based on a note on their web site, I offered to bring them sushi as there is none available within 65 miles. They also offered a $10 discount for bringing the food. I brought the sushi of their choice and also gave them a gift of a bottle of sake and a bottle of great red wine. I paid $159 a night plus tax. They said there would be a "breakfast basket" for me each day.

When I arrived and went to give the sushi to the Proprietor, he was about as unfriendly as I've ever experienced at this type of place. I was puzzled, but just moved on. The Proprietor quickly charged my credit card the entire amount for the three days in advance. But he "forgot" to credit the cost of the sushi and discount back to my card and said he would do it later.

The first night I got to experience a crying baby through the paper-thin walls between my small room and the next room. The second night I tolerated two very loud guests in the next room and the third night I lay awake listening to loud snoring - again through paper-thin walls. If you are looking for quietness, you should look elsewhere.

The "breakfast basket" idea for food, in a word, was pitiful. When you think of a B & B, you think of a good vacation breakfast, not a basket with a bunch of plastic-wrapped fast food that you have to prepare yourself. Don't go for the food. It will be the second disappointment.

Over the 3 whole days while I was there, he never brought took care of crediting my card. Finally, after waiting 4 more days after I left, the credit had still not been done, so I emailed and asked about it.

I told him I didn't understand why I had not received the credit on my VISA card for the sushi and discount he owed me. I had gone to a lot of effort to get a cooler, get frozen gel packs, order and pick up the sushi, and even given them a bottle of sake and wine as a gift, and then he didn’t have the courtesy to credit my account as quickly as he had processed the debit. I asked when he planed to do it. The Proprietor was very indignant that I even asked, and finally told me that my refund would be credited that day, a full week after I handed over the sushi. When I called later to ask why he sounded so indignant, he talked awhile about that he didn't have to take any "crap" off of people like me, and then hung up on me.

While The Proprietress, whom I met the second day, was a really cordial and nice person, the same can not be said for The Proprietor. I was awoken one morning having to listen to him loudly voicing his discontentment with the whole state of affairs of our government, and our country, which I didn't appreciate at all.

You would be well advised to pick a different place if you want to have the "normal" experience visiting a B & B.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The noisy room and the bad food
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2007

My husband and I found the lodge when we were researching for a bed and breakfast in the NW Mt. Olympic area. After three nights of stay the place proved to be a pleasant, comfortable and economical B&B for the region for us.

The main building of the lodge was quite rustice in its feel and very homey. It had a gas-pumped fireplace and many personal affects of the owners, Ed and Lynn, and comfy and clean couches and chairs to sit on and relax. The same goes for the room we stayed in, but one thing I'd suggest is to lose the clutter in the rooms and in the common area. Too many little decorative items and artificial flowers give little space and make you question their taste a bit.

Overall, I enjoyed the friendly welcome of the lodge owner and comfort of the lodge - its proximity to Rialto beach and (good working heater) warmth and quietude of the place for the price I paid (just about $100 a night).

Lastly about the breakfast, I partially agree with some other reviews about the quality of food. The breakfast sandwiches or others that they provide is not particularly tastey or healthy but I liked how they also provided some fruit and other options like muffins or granola too. And it was plenty of food (while accommodating my no-meat request)!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wa State
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2007

Be prepared if you visit The Manitou Lodge B&B. On the plus side, it is near Rialto Beach, a spectacular example of the wild Olympic Peninsula ocean beaches and worth the drive to get to it.

The Manitou Lodge building is quite lovely, also worth seeing. Our little room, The Pocahantus, was quite charming, and satisfactory. If this were billed as something other than a B&B, we could have come prepared. However, this is not a B&B in the strict sense. The second B is missing.

In the evening, the host puts in the little refrigerator what he euphemistically calls your "breakfast basket". This consists of a piece of fruit, premade "breakfast sandwich", that in our case, was premade, possibly frozen and then thawed, but in any case, greasy and inedible. There were even little instructions about how to bring it back to life via the microwave, but nothing we did could warm it. YUK! More important, there is nowhere else to forage for food in that remote area. If someone had warned us we could have come prepared. Should take the last B out of the name.

The other issue is the presence of the gift shop. You expect that in a hotel, inn, even a KOA lodge, but a B&B? The big problem for me was that nothing was ever locked. Nothing!! I HATED being exposed to the risk that someone could come and steal something from that unlocked, wide open gift shop which contained some very expensive stuff, and since we were the only people in res that night, guess who could have been thought to be guilty. I asked the host for a key, but he mistook my meaning. He said "WE NEVER lock the doors, but I will leave you a key to your room if you must have one." I tried to convey my concerns but he did not listen. I do not sleep well at night when I am exposed to that kind of risk with no sure way to summon help if needed.

So, if you do go to Manitou Lodge, you will find a lovely rustic building with great access to Rialto Beach. Bring your own food, and expect to find a host who talks a great deal but does not listen. If that all works for you, it can be a nice experience.

• Liked — Lovely building, proximity to Rialto Beach
  • Disliked — The risk issues
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
southwest US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2006

We only stayed one night but wished we had more time there. The location is remote, quiet and incredibly beautiful. The lodge has a huge great room with stone fireplace and self serve coffee tea and water. It was comfortable and beautiful. We took a walk around the grounds, there was a trail leading into the forest. What a beautiful place.

We stayed in one of the rooms upstairs in the lodge and it was very comfortable. The bed was excellent. We both got a great night's sleep.

Only possible negative: the breakfast, which was good for us since we just wanted to get out to Rialto Beach (very short drive and beautiful) was maybe not what some would expect for a B&B. I personally didn't mind and certainly wouldn't let that stop me from staying at this gorgeous lodge. We talked to the owner, Ed, for a while in the morning. He seemed nice and I wouldn't let the negative reviews here scare you. We didn't stay in the cabins, so I don't really know about them, but our room (Lily of the Mohawk) in the lodge was wonderful. Manitou Lodge is highly recommended.

• Liked — Very peaceful beautiful location
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Renton, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2006

The Manitou Lodge

The Manitou Lodge presents itself on the internet as a charming bed and breakfast with two new cabins on the property. It is quite possibly the worst cabin we've ever stayed in. The facts:

- The Outback Too cabin is equipped with a refrigerator. The refrigerator did not work, and leaked, which resulted in a large puddle on the wood floor of the cabin. This also resulted in our breakfast basket becoming water-logged.

- The Outback Too cabin is equipped with a vintage space heater. If knocked over, this space heater would continue producing heat, and is probably unsafe. There was no sign about the space heater and it was unlugged when we arrived. As we were travelling with a toddler, we moved the space heater as far away from him as possible.

- The Outback Too cabin has a rustic headboard which has quite a lot of movement. If you roll over in your sleep, the headboard will touch the circuit breakers (directly above the headboard) which will in turn throw the breaker for the space heater, which is the only source of heat in the cabin. Thus it can get quite cold at night.

- The free wi-fi in the main lodge was unreliable. Later, this would make finding alternate accomadations difficult.

Upon presenting these issues to the inn-sitter (not the owner), she gave a five minute rationalization of how this came to be. The lengthy explanation invovled there being a known issue with the refrigerator but they thought that the puddle wouldn't be a problem. This explanation didn't fix the puddle, wet breakfast, space heater, or electricity. When pressed, the inn sitter offered to remake breakfast, to have an electrician look at the breaker box, and to fix the refrigerator.

An electician did not come out to the cabin; rather, the inn sitter spoke with the owner by phone. The owner said that we had moved the space heater, which caused the breaker box to fail, causing the refrigerator to fail. Thus we were asked if we would not move the space heater again. However, this explanation was factually incorrect as the puddle had been present upon our arrival, and the inn sitter mentioned that she knew it was a problem before we checked in.

The inn sitter "re-made" breakfast but explained that we could not warm it up in the lodge or eat there as there was no microwave in the lodge. Once she left, a couple guests came out from their rooms upstairs and began heating their breakfast in a microwave. I attempted to eat the breakfast, my wife avoided it, my friend ate his (and had indigestion for his effort) and his girlfriend also avoided it. Breakfast consisted of a frozen bun with frozen ham and frozen cheese and a frozen scrambled egg, two mushy banana muffins (partially frozen), yoghurt, a bruised apple, and two slices of bread (presumably for the in-room toaster).

We explained to the inn sitter that the accomodations weren't acceptable and that we would like to settle our bill for the night and leave. We were then informed rather sharply of the no-cancellation no-refund policy. She did call the owner, who offered to refund one night of the defective cabin, but offered nothing for our friends who were travelling with us, as there was "nothing wrong" with their cabin. (Later, we learned that there was a bit of an issue with unidentified insect bites, a heavy iron fixture perched over the bed, the pillows being hard and the bed being absurdly soft.) All of this went unsaid at the time, and our friends had to pay for two nights even though they stayed for just one night.

The inn sitter also explained that once, when a guest phoned in advance with news that her mother had died, that the owner had not offered a refund or to cancel the reservation. This was a rather poor choice of story to tell guests who are asking for a refund. The inn sitter informed my wife that the owner's cancellation policy was established because, "people lie".

I am very, very disappointed with the Manitou Lodge. The hospitality industry is based on good service; the inn sitter was disingenuous and at times hostile. The inn sitter was not sympathetic and seemed more interested in getting paid than fixing the issues. Most bed and breakfasts also are interested in good word of mouth and repeat business, and nothing there made me want to ever go back, and in fact to recommend that others avoid this establishment.

• Stayed September 2006
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Flagstaff, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2006

The major positives about the place are its proximity to Rialto Beach (3 miles) and the Hoh Rain Forest. Also, the lodge grounds are beautifully tucked into the forest. This is a very secluded and serene place.

The great room in the lodge was cozy and had a "homey" feeling, with a fireplace, board games, books, and a serve yourself table of coffee, tea, and water. There is also a beautiful porch where you can sit and enjoy the peace and quiet. A job well done to the owners for cultivating this inviting atmosphere.

The owner (we only met one of them) was courteous. We did not encounter any problems with our rooms (the Owl and Eagle cabins). The bed was comfortable and room was clean and cozy.

The breakfast was adequate, but I agree with other commentary, is surprisingly "low class" considering the place is called a B&B. If you are eager to get out and adventure, then you will find the starchy microwave-and-go breakfast convenient (we did). But on the other hand, if you're the type who wants to linger on the grounds and savor gourmet cooking, you will be disappointed.

Overall, the place was nice. I would come back and stay next time I visit the Hoh.

• Liked — proximity to local attractions, beautiful grounds
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Manitou Lodge Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!