“Kalaloch cancellation policy” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Sequim, Washington
“Kalaloch cancellation policy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I have been going here for decades.I made a reservation on Tuesday for the upcoming weekend. I thought I was calling the lodge, but I got some other reservation service, but that was fine. I never was told the cacellation policy or got an email. But, I got sick on Wednesday and stayed home from work the next two days due to feeling awful and being contagious. So, on Friday I tried to cancel within 24 hours of my arrival time because I don't want to make people there sick or leave germs in the cabin.I just have not managed to get better.I could not cancel. I am angry about the work I must do to pack, get groceries, the hours of driving and I am very weak and feel awful.I understand there's not a way to watch videos and I am not up for a walk on the beach or in the forest. I don't want to breathe air from the fireplace during this trip. So, what am I paying for? I love this place and go there to enjoy the remoteness and I walk on the beach, see the eagles, enjoy the restaurant, and sometimes hop over to Forks or the Hoh. They should be more receptive to cancellations.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Evan_Tennant, Manager at Kalaloch Lodge, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Hello Eloise,
Thanks for your review and for choosing to stay with us at the Kalaloch Lodge. We are sorry to hear that you had to cancel your trip, our policies change between booking engines but we will see what kind of modifications are possible to better serve guests who fall on bad health. We would have loved to had you come enjoy the beaches and scenery, but being sick is no fun and exploring when you need to rest is hard to do.
Thank you again for the review and we hope you feel better very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

After reading some unflattering reviews I was worried-but ended up pleasantly surprised. We had a clean and spacious cabin, and really no complaints. We weren't first row, but had a view and was in steps from the beach. We didn't eat at the lodge, was $$ and didn't appeal to us. The beach was cool to explore and we were given a tide table so we explored early one day to see starfish in the tide pools at beach 4. Now here is the important information you MUST know. When I called I asked how far Aberdeen was because we were buying groceries, the gal I spoke to said about a half hour. It was closer to 1.5 hours. Our groceries were fine, but don't buy ice cream or take a cooler if going in hot months. The lodge has a little store-which had a better craft beer selection than the big grocer in Aberdeen-and prices weren't gouged. In fact the prices at the little store were very fair for being in the middle of nowhere. They had things like drinks, snacks frozen pizza, and an espresso machine. BUT call ahead and ask what amenities your cabin has. Once again, the gal at the front told us we had an oven. When we got there we did not. Not the end of the world just a tad inaccurate. We actually heated up food on the top of the wood stove, kind of fun too.
The other important thing is that when they say the Hoh rainforest is 20 miles away, that is the entrance to it! It is another 16 or so miles-so beware it's a lot longer of a drive than you were expecting. But it's cool.

Bring food. Check out low tide at beach 4. Good beers at little store. Has real coffee. Be cautious when told time and distances:) oh and it's rainy!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Hi Granolamama,
Thanks for the great review. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts for the betterment of our future guests. We are thrilled that you found the cabins to be clean and spacious. We are sorry to hear that you were misquoted on the travel time to Aberdeen, we will make note of that estimation. Thank you for visiting the mercantile and mentioning that the prices are reasonable, we work hard to offer a good selection at fair prices. We will make sure to update the amenities at each cabin to avoid the issue of trying to cook with no oven. Thank you for mentioning it.
We hope you come stay with us again soon!
Bordeaux, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

You can't think of anywhere more remote - and yet conveniently located by HW101 - than this place.(And only 2.5 hours away from Seattle)
I did not choose a cabin, but a room with a view instead. Just above the mouth of the river, facing the ocean. Early morning light on a sunny day was just amazing.
Rooms are decent, and the food as well; good point for the wine. Great breakfast.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Evan_Tennant, Manager at Kalaloch Lodge, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Greetings Pierre,
Thank you for the wonderful review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed staying at the Kalaloch Lodge and were able to dine with us at the Creekside Restaurant. Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated, thanks for taking the time to share them with us. Please come stay with us again soon!
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband and I found this lodge on our meandering weekend through the park. We stopped here to take photos at low tide on their beach and when I fell in and got soaking wet, it became a necessity to stay there. Thankfully they had a room and we were checked in quite quickly. We were told the kitchen was closing in a few minutes and there was nowhere else within an hour or so to get food. She was nice enough to place an order for us to pick up when I had dried off and warmed up.

Our room was not a single cabin but a bottom unit in the building at the end. The room was large in size but right away I noticed the floors had brown leaves and tree needles on it. The shower had glitter (???) all over the inside so I was hesitant to put the bar of soap down on the ledge. The carpets looked quite dirty and there was dust bunnies. That night when we crawled in bed I found long and short black hairs on the white sheets.

Dinner was yummy and it was a nice added amenity that there was free firewood in the unit to make a nice fire with. The furniture layout is odd. In a room with no TV but beautiful fireplace, the futon faced the microwave....??? We rearranged the furniture a bit so we could cuddle and read in front of the fire, not on the wall next to it. Our little porch out front of the sliding doors has a partial view of the ocean and two nice Adirondack chairs for nicer weather. We didn't use them because we got there after dark and it was pouring.

The room itself was quite noisy. The people above us were horrendously loud walkers but with no phone in the room to call the front desk, we weren't about to walk up to the lodge in the pouring rain to complain. The waves were crashing, which was a nice noise, but hard to fall asleep to. Bring ear plugs, I forgot mine. My husband's snoring drove me out onto the futon during the night and the heater was knocking and clicking so loudly I finally had to turn the heat off completely around 3 a.m. Then it got COLD!! Between the cold and the noise I didn't sleep a wink.

We left early to explore, about 7 a.m. to see low tide at Ruby Beach. All in all, we were in the room and at the lodge less than 12 hours.

There is NO television, phone, wifi or communal computer to check emails. The friendly front desk lady let me check my emails on her computer quickly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello HatRez,
Thank you for your detailed review and for choosing to stay with us at The Kalaloch Lodge. We aim to offer all guests a restful and relaxing stay, in a beautiful location. We are truly sorry that we did not achieve that. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Your thoughts will be used to help improve The Kalaloch Lodge. We truly hope to see you again sometime in Olympic National Park!
Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

The amazing thing about this place is that I have been here over and over for most of my life (50+ now) and I never get tired of it. It is true that it is not a fancy 5 star resort but it is comfortable and the staff are always friendly. I love the beach, you can walk for miles on it and not see another person. I like the winter and early spring. Threes or four days here is an incredibly enjoyable and relaxing experience off the beaten path and away from the grind. I always stay in a beach front cabin, there is no other way to go.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Hello Colo_travler,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Kalaloch Lodge, and for taking the time to write a wonderful review. Your connection and experiences while here are inspiring! Thank you so much for sharing them with us. We truly hope that you keep coming back for your next 50 years.
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Well stocked and clean cute cabin with a view! Centrally located in the Olympic National Park. Great for beach visits and a short drive to the rainforest. We enjoyed the well stocked store for snacks and cold drinks. Bring food because the closest grocery store is a 30 minute drive. Will be back to visit again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Evan_Tennant, Manager at Kalaloch Lodge, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thanks for your review Missyinspokane we really appreciate it. The views from the Cabin’s are exceptional, we concur. We are thrilled that you were able to locate the supplies you needed at the Kalaloch Mercantile before heading out on your Olympic National Park adventures. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Madison, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

This was not the cleanest place we have ever stayed, but we were in (I believe) cabin 7, with a great view of the Pacific ocean. This is also one of the places where the hike down to the beach is the least steep. We had covered parking next to the cabin, which was a real plus. It rains a lot in the Pacific Northwest, and we could load and unload the car without getting wet! We had a small kitchenette, which I would never attempt to cook in, but there were grills outside, and we were beach front, which I would recommend if you stay here.

Room Tip: Get an ocean front cabin with covered parking.