“Get a cabin, if you can.” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$109 Kalaloch Cabins
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Forks
GreenLeadersGold level
West Coast (of Lake Michigan)
“Get a cabin, if you can.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The Kalaloch was one of the only places I booked in advance of my road trip along the 101, and perhaps I was just expecting too much based on other reviews. Don't get me wrong, this place was pretty nice, but I opted for the cheaper lodge room instead of my own cabin. I know what "lodges" are compared to a hotel, so it's not like I was expecting room service and television. But this place seemed to be all about the view, and the lodge just didn't have the ocean view I expected. While I could see the Pacific, my primary view was of a rather ugly tidal basin full of driftwood and mud. If you'd never seen the ocean before, I could see how this would be spectacular. But compared to the other amazing views of the coast along the 101, this seemed like an odd place to build.

Anyway, my room was very clean, comfortable, had the usual amenities, and was ultimately very relaxing. As the lodge is built entirely of wood, and based on its age, every movement and sound made by anyone else (including the full-service restaurant directly below my room) was amplified. The restaurant was very nice though, and Dylan was a spectacular host!

But get a cabin if you can. Your view will be better, you'll be closer to the path to the beach, and you won't hear everything everyone around you is doing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stopped here for lunch one rainy day during our drive between Lake Quinault and Forks. Just a fantastic view (even with the rain) and great ambiance to enjoy a mid-day meal. I had a bowl of chowder and my wife had a salad which she still talks about today. Both meals were really good and were, in fact, some of our better meals of the trip. Two thumbs up for the lunch we enjoyed at Kalaloch.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Annandale, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We checked in in the evening, everyone was very pleasant and helpful. we had an ocean view lodge room #6. The views were amazing, the room was very clean, the bathroom had obviously been recently been renovated. We did not eat here, but the food smelled good.
Lodge rooms are not handicap accessible, however the cabins are.
There have been previous reviews complaining of the noise from the dining area. It really wasn't as bad as we had been anticipating. Just a few thuds every now again and a little water running. The hallways are noisier but all in all we had a wonderful stay, and no trouble sleeping.

Room Tip: Definitely get an ocean view lodge room. Some of the views are better than the cabins.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Paso Robles California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed here from 9-12 through 9-13. We picked Kalaloch Lodge for on our stay in Olympic National Park because of it's location close to Ruby Beach and the Hoh rainforest. Let me say first that my wife and I are used to staying in rustic accommodations in and around national parks and know plus understand their limitations. That is not any issue with us. For this one, we did pick their large, most expensive room over the top of the main lodge for a splurge at the end of a 17 day road trip.
The front desk where you check in is their gift shop. The girl who "greeted" me at the front desk was so unfriendly I was a little taken back. A smile would have cracked her face and she just handed over a key with no directions to the room or nothing to say at all. Whenever I asked a question, she would barely look up and would just fire off a short response. There was no one else in the gift shop or checking in so she was not busy with customers.
I had gotten a bad bug bite on the back of my neck the day before (not at the lodge) and when I awoke the next morning, it had broken open during the night and there was a lot of blood on my pillowcase. When we got back to the room in the afternoon, the bed had been made up (sort of) but here was the blood stained pillow case still on the pillow that side up. (??) The maid had been there but not in mind or spirit.
We had made a reservation for dinner that night at 6:00 PM. When we arrived right on time, we had to wait for someone to seat us for over 5 minutes and we were the only ones there. We could hear the cook in the kitchen and the server/hostess talking the whole time. The cook saw us and told her we were out there but she would not stop with her personal conversation and just left us out there. Finally, I had to yell out "hello" three times before she came out and she had no apology and just said she knew we were there. When 2 other couples came in and asked to be seated they were told there was no available seating for the night. We sat there in a room with just 2 other tables besides us with people in them and there was two rooms of empty tables all made up. Evidently they just did not want anyone there.
Other then that, the food was acceptable and the location is very pretty. Everything is a little worn out but that is quite common with park accommodations and we expected that.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Always wanted to stay here and we finally did. Never again! Our cabin was overrun with mice! Since it is located on national park property, they can't kill them. So, they put in a live trap after a sleepless first night. THERE WERE 5 MICE IN THE TRAP BY 2AM!!! And our cabin did not have a kitchenette in it, so there was no food to attract them. We even found mouse droppings in our suitcase!! Unfortunate experience.

Stayed September 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed here for one night in August. It was beautiful, but 20 degrees colder than at Quinault Lake Lodge inland. I'm glad we opted for just one night here and 3 nights at Quinault. It was beautiful and wild feeling. I liked our cabin along the cliff edge and the view from the restaurant too. But it was so cold and windy I didn't want to walk the beach. There is much more for a family to do at Quinault. I'm glad we stayed one night, but also glad we didn't stay longer!

Room Tip: We liked cabin 7 - along the cliff with a nice breakfast table nook that had lots of windows
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The Lodge was disgustingly dirty, service was poor and the ambiance had all the charm of an IHOP. fabulous view - but you don't have to stay there to see it. Move on to the Quinault Lodge up the road.

Room Tip: There is no good room, at least if ours was any sample of rooms. Two conditioners and no shampoo in...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kalaloch Lodge? Share your experiences!