“Cold and windy but beautiful” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$109 Cabins This Fall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Forks
GreenLeadersGold level
“Cold and windy but beautiful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed here for one night in August. It was beautiful, but 20 degrees colder than at Quinault Lake Lodge inland. I'm glad we opted for just one night here and 3 nights at Quinault. It was beautiful and wild feeling. I liked our cabin along the cliff edge and the view from the restaurant too. But it was so cold and windy I didn't want to walk the beach. There is much more for a family to do at Quinault. I'm glad we stayed one night, but also glad we didn't stay longer!

Room Tip: We liked cabin 7 - along the cliff with a nice breakfast table nook that had lots of windows
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The Lodge was disgustingly dirty, service was poor and the ambiance had all the charm of an IHOP. fabulous view - but you don't have to stay there to see it. Move on to the Quinault Lodge up the road.

Room Tip: There is no good room, at least if ours was any sample of rooms. Two conditioners and no shampoo in...
Winter Garden, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I were traveling with another couple and reserved a two bedroom cabin. We loved it. Plenty of room, a wonderful fireplace with wood supplied, clean, and comfortable. However, it is a cabin. So we didn't get - or expect - 5 star resort accommodations. The location is beautiful. The sunset was awesome. As the other reviews stated, there isn't any other accommodations near Kalaloch. The store is a tad expensive, but considering you are a captive audience, I didn't think it was too bad. The food in the lodge was very good and we had good wait staff. The kitchen was a bit slow, but with that gorgeous view, we didnt care. We were only there one night, so didn't bring in supplies. If we had stayed longer, I would have done some meals in the cabin. There were enough dishes, etc to make that easy. We did arrive early and we were given access to our cabin right away. That made it easy to unload and head for the beaches early in the afternoon. These beaches are just beautiful. The star fish at Beach 4 were huge and beautiful. Of course, we had perfect weather for beach combing, hiking, and picture taking. We would return at the drop of a hat.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wa. State
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

If you are going to visit this area of the OP, this is the only accommodation available. We stayed in the "hotel" section (most accommodations are single or duplex cabins). The room was large, reasonably clean and had a fireplace. The fireplace was the source of my biggest complaint, the room had a terrible smoky smell to it, as if many fires had been burned without the damper being opened. We opened up the windows after the first night, and it was tolerable by the evening. If I had it to do over I would not have a room with the fireplace.

The restaurant in the hotel as adequate but somewhat expensive. Mrs. Spokaneman and I like to split meals and they charge $5.00 to do that. To me that it a bit annoying.

There is no internet connection and very limited cell phone coverage. I saw people actually using a pay phone.

But having said all of that, the beauty of the beaches around Kalaloch made the stay worthwhile.

Room Tip: If I had it to do over I would probably rent a cabin or a non-fireplace room. A cabin has cooking...
VACTION
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Why stay here? Because it is better than staying in the motels in Forks and you can take a walk on the beach before dinner and at first light. They are otherwise overpriced cabins, but location is everything and if you are not on a camping budget this price is worth the night.
The food is ok and you can have a very enjoyable casual meal. The Is no other eatery for miles. The service personnel are not professional. Most try to do a good job while other are lazy earlier 20 something year old kids. When registering the girl said your cabin is right down the road and pointed SE when the actual direction from the check in was slightly SSW. SE pointed to the store and gas station on route 101. Even after I visually corrected her directional inadequacies and drove in the direction of the cabin we were met with a folk in the road.
The area is not large so finding the cabin with light was not difficult; however, my wife did not pay close attention. We then went to the beach and directly from the beach to dinner. After dinner I decided to go for a walk down the road and my wife walk back to the cabin. It was very dark there were only a few light on some cabins and no lights near the numbers. My wife looked for 20 minutes and started to get scared and went back to registration which is in the same building as the restaurant. The dumb girl with the ugly nose ring said the cabin is right down the road again pointing the to wrong direction. My wife was already visible upset that she could not find the cabin and she know the girl was pointing to route 101. She asked if she could walk her to the cabin. Instead the girl grabbed a paper map pointing to the cabin and said it is right down the road. (The map show a folk). During this time I returned to the cabin, it was hard to find the card swipe in the dark but I finally did. As it was apparent that my wife never made it back to the cabin I first looked around the ocean overlooks and then the restaurant. The girl saw me and she know my wife and I were together. I went back to the cabin but this time my card would not open the door. I returned to the registration to get the card reactivated.
I told the girl in addition to my card not working that I have been looking for my wife and was concerned. She said sometimes the cards don't hold the code and there should be a light over the front door of the cabin. I said if I can not find my wife in the next 10 minutes I would like to put in for a missing person report and inquired with her if they have a set procedure as we are in a National Park. She said she is not aware of any procedure but you should just call the police. She then says your wife was here; she had trouble finding the cabin. When I returned to the cabin my wife was there and she was not happy. In the morning I noticed a switch that did not work the lights in the cabin. It was for the outside. Thanks for letting the guests know. Would they turn it on if guest arrived after dark? People need the light to get to the cabin and read the number. The management needs to improve on staff training and install basic minimum standards before hiring dumb girls with nose rings.

Room Tip: all rooms can hear and small the ocean, but do not pay extra for water view as it will likely be fog...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

The pros of this place is location. Right on a bluff overlooking the ocean, you can park your car and walk the beaches for miles. Our cabin was clean and cozy. New management (used to be Aramark, now is Delaware North) may be credited with bright white bed linens and the mattresses appeared to be new.

Cons can also be the location. If you don't bring any groceries, you have to avail yourself to the expensive mercantile. "Organic" trail mix was almost $10. During our visit, the mercantile had no fresh fruit. Once they are out of a product, it isn't like you can go anywhere else.

As a funny aside, the Sunday paper was all they had on Monday around 1 pm, with their news delivery after 1:30 pm the staff said.

We waited in the lodge's dining room to get seated and after several minutes, it appeared that some "friends" were inquiring about a staff member so we were unattended. Finally, after 5 minutes I decided to leave. And cancel the 2nd night stay we had planned.

Our one night was fine. Since we didn't have extra groceries after spending time in Lake Quinault and not wanting to go back to Aberdeen or north to Forks, the kitchenette in the cabin was a moot point for us. The sheets were scratchy and the in room guide boasts some name brand blankets, which were not in our room. The shower was small and cramp. It comes with a stop watch and the challenge to shower less than 8 minutes. With a shower that small, it was no problem. I was out in 3 minutes flat.

Beach No. 4 was eerie for us as we arrived in foggy conditions and the huge bone-like logs were unnerving. Ruby Beach was spectacular. Both beaches were less than 20 min. drive. Kalaloch Lodge is one of the very few places to stay on this stretch of the coast, so if you are after a central location to the beaches or Hoh rainforest, this is it. Just keep expecations low for the dining staff, enjoy a cozy cabin, and bring groceries so you don't have to step foot in the dining room.

Room Tip: Spring for a ocean side cabin.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We favor staying in lodging within the National Parks even though one pays a premium for the location, not necessarily the quality of accommodations. This location, within the coastal section of Olympic National Park, is hard to beat and the cabins were well maintained, clean, and sitting on a bank overlooking the beach. Ours included a wood stove with firewood provided and a picnic table and chairs out front for enjoying the ocean. Beds were comfortable and cabin was quite roomy. We loved it. Our only complaint relates to food. The place is somewhat isolated so eating at the lodge seems the best option. The quality of the food was decent, the servers were mixed but we had one excellent server, but the place seemed very disorganized and kitchen was painfully slow. Overall we enjoyed our experience even though we had to grab a sandwich from the convenience store for dinner one evening because of the problems in the kitchen at the lodge.

Room Tip: Cabins nearest the beach seem to be the duplex cabins without a kitchen.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kalaloch Lodge? Share your experiences!