“Not as fun as it used to be.” 1 of 5 stars

Silver Reef Hotel Casino and Spa
4876 Haxton Way, I-5 exit 260, Ferndale, WA 98248   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Ferndale
“Not as fun as it used to be.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My Husband and I have been weekly customers for over three years now. We come every Saturday for dinner, drinks and for some fun gaming. We are from Canada and the Casino's back home are expensive and had terrible slots. The Silver Reef has turned out to be just as terrible as any Canadian casino, if not worse. They raised their drink prices and the machines are horrible. We used to do pretty decent and win some weekends and or course lose some. For months now even before the expansion the casino has been sucking us dry. We talk to other Canadians and they agree the place has gotten bad and there is no reason to come here instead of at home. I would also like to point out that the game choices suck. They removed all of our favorites such as Star Wars, Wolverton, Haunted House and Party in Rio to only replace them with higher betting machines. With all the money they are making it would be nice to at least have some good games like Batman, Clue, Lord of the rings, Aladdin, wizard of Oz etc. The only popular newer game they have is The Hangover and it's a dollar minimum. The people in charge should go to Vegas and see what real machines are. My Husband and I decided we will not be going back every weekend and instead save our money for Vegas trips. It really is too bad that they are getting too big and feel they can charge more and tighten up the machines. We will miss coming here, but we don't have unlimited funds to lose.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
AaronThomas, Director of Marketing at Silver Reef Hotel Casino and Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent visit on TripAdvisor.com. We sincerely appreciate you coming to see us. We are disappointed to see that we failed to meet and exceed your expectations.

We receive thousands of positive comments about how we keep our slot floor very fresh with the hottest and newest Washington State approved slot titles. Unfortunately, many of the slot machines that you name are not approved by Washington State. As soon as the mentioned slot titles are available, I’m sure we’ll be putting them on the casino floor for your enjoyment. As for the drink prices, Silver Reef offers mostly top-shelf name brands for our guests’ enjoyment.

We feel that our guests’ experience at our property is far superior than what you will find at any casinos in Canada, mainly because our guests may enjoy smoking and drinking on the casino floor; which is not available in Canada. We also feel our customer service exceeds what you will find in most Canadian casinos.

TashaDuddek, your patronage is important to us, and even more important is your feedback. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us!

163 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

this is the second time we have stayed at the silver reef !!!! love it. the rooms are very nice and clean and use great produts to bath with and shampoo hair mmmmmm.... smells good.parking for overnight stay is great.,someone is always patrolling the lot,very safe. The casino floor is nice,large and clean. we had the seafood buffet and everyone enjoyed it !!! the next morning my husband and I used our coupons at the cantina for some yummies with coffee,very goooood :) overall we love the place :)

Room Tip: we stayed on the 6th foor room 622 overlooks the front enterance and waterfall
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
AaronThomas, Director of Marketing at Silver Reef Hotel Casino and Spa, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Hi Chwkgirl,

Thank you so much for your recent review of your latest stay with us. We value your opinion and we are happy to hear that your stay was a very good one. Great tip that you offer future guests!

We hope to see you very soon!
Armstrong, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

First off, Kudos to Peggy, a server, in the restaurant. She was extremely pleasant, funny and helpful. The food itself was quite poor compared to other casinos I've stayed at. There was a very marginal selection for breakfast; empty buffet trays weren't refilled for quite some time; no bacon, ham or other breakfast meat. Waffles and toast were cook it yourself. Not much selection for lunch; vegetables seemed to be frozen mixed vegetables. Same food served for supper as lunch... Salisbury steak. The second day we ordered the American Breakfast off the menu. My friend put ketchup on her fried eggs and they were so greasy, her ketchup slid right off. The bacon was not drained so was quite greasy. We culd only eat one piece. We went to the Panasian that night and the food was very good but waaay to much. We mentioned to the server they should have combo's for supper and she said the manager didn't want that. We were only able to eat a small portion to fill us up and the rest was thrown out. What a waste! We went to the Mexican restaurant the next night and ordered the combos. The enchiladas and tortillas were just filled with dry shredded meat. There was a bit of sauce on top but it didn't compensate for the dry meat. The fellow that took the order did not bring our beverage and never came back to see how the food was. The food at the pizzeria/deli was good.

The rooms were good and the casino was good. There didn't seem to be many winners.

I doubt I would go back. I know from experience that the Tulalip Casino has excellent food and an outlet mall so will continue to go there instead of the Silver Reef.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Majorie,

We sincerely thank you for giving us your input about your recent visit to Silver Reef Hotel Casino Spa. It's disheartening to hear that our food quality did not meet nor exceed your expectations. We will give our chefs and our Director of Food and Beverage the comments you are making with the intentions to improve.

Majorie, we hope that you will give us another try in the near future.

Thanks for your input and we hope to see you soon!
Coquitlam, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Drove down on Fathers Day to see the new additions to the Silver Reef Casino completed in May 2013. The SR has done a very nice job on the explansion to add additional casino and entertainment space. Lots of new slot machines and a new mexican specialty restaurant. Have had very good meals at the other restaurants and wanted to try the new one. Although we were impressed by the decor and the casino additions, the food at the new mexican restaurant was not very good. I would not recommend this restaurant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Bill W,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at Silver Reef Hotel Casino Spa. We are very proud of the casino expansion as we feel we've given our guests more to enjoy. We're very sorry to hear that our food quality did not meet or exceed your expectations. We want to remind you that any restaurant takes time to build its quality consistency. We hope that the next time you're down, that you try it again. Please let your server know what exactly was wrong with the food so that we can communicate it to our chefs.

Again, we value your input and we hope to see you again!
Langley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We have stayed here several times and have never rated . Great people and very nice accomodations . What we like most is the fact they are pet friendly small chg. compared to other casinos and hotels . The food here is very reasonable and great especialy the Fantasia restuarant . You also can stay here over night if you are flying out of Belligham they will drive you to the airport .

Room Tip: all rooms are great. The ones that face the parking lots have a better view .
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
To Robert W,

Thank you very much for your recent review of your stay at Silver Reef Hotel Casino Spa. We are happy that you enjoyed our Cantina Restaurant; we agree the food is good at a very reasonable price.

Again, thanks for rating us and we do hope to see you soon!
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

My wife and I have recently switched from casinos further south in favour of the Silver Reef. The room is good at a reasonable price and the casino has all the games we like. I do like the $3 black jack table and there is an excellent selection of slot machines to play.

Unfortunately, the food at the Pizzanini restaurant was just awful. My wife and I waited almost 40 minutes for a pizza and a sandwich. I know because the receipt is time stamped. The pizza was fine according to my wife, but the Rib Eye sandwich I ordered was terrible. The sandwich was cold but I was hungry so said took a couple of bites anyway. The meat did not taste right so I opened the sandwich and the meat appeared to be almost raw. The strips of meat were blood red and cold. I took it back to the counter and was told they could make another or refund my money. I was not waiting another 40 minutes for a sandwich so asked for a refund. The supervisor who arrived to do the refund asked if I wanted a dessert. I said no thanks I will not eat in here again. Neither the counter person nor the supervisor said sorry for the terrible food. In fact the counter person wanted to argue with me.

There were five employees in the serving area: one continually touched her hair and did not wash her hands. the others seemed to talk a lot with each other.

Sorry, but I would not recommend this place to anyone until there is some quality control in place. My wife and I have been in the restaurant and bar business for almost thirty years so I do know what i am talking about. Just felt I had to say my piece.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
AaronThomas, Director of Marketing at Silver Reef Hotel Casino and Spa, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Hi Baileylabdog,

We sincerely thank you for your review of your last trip to Silver Reef Hotel Casino Spa. We are sorry to hear that our food quality did not meet or exceed your expectations. Be rest assured that your comments are taken very seriously and our Food and Beverage Director has reviewed them very carefully.

We will do what we can to implement some of the ideas your present. Our continued goal is to ensure that we provide the greatest quality and service to over 1 million guests who frequent our property per year.

Thanks again for your input and your visit!
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

The new addition is a real plus. The machines are more spaced out and it seems that the ventilation is slightly better but the non-smoking section has yet to be increased. Smokers still have the advantage over accessing the new machines. When will they ever learn! The hotel provides good accommodations at reasonable prices but the gaming benefits are not really to the players advantage.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AaronThomas, Director of Marketing at Silver Reef Hotel Casino and Spa, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Hi Hankey53,

Thank you for your review based on your recent visit to Silver Reef. We are very proud of the new expansion as many of our guests too have commented they love more space to play and yes less smoke inside the casino.

Our award-winning Hotel consistently wins people over because of the various amenities it provides, the cleanliness and the excellent customer service from our front desk agents to the housekeepers.

Your patronage is important and just as important is your input. Thank you so much and we hope to see you back soon!

Been to Silver Reef Hotel Casino and Spa? Share your experiences!