“Good food, a little sanitized for the suburbs” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Milwaukee
“Good food, a little sanitized for the suburbs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I asked the front desk of my hotel for a restaurant recommend and the clerk said East India Grill, which is walking distance. She helpfully added "they're like...legit Indian". I'm not sure if the area has problems with illicit Southeast Asian joints, but I can say EAG was legit, which is borne out by favorable Yelp reviews.

First off, their papadums are great - supremely crispy and delicious, with fresh chutneys. That serems like a small matter, but it sets a tone. There is a pretty respectable wine list too - also a pleasant surprise. I would define this restaurant as "above average Indian food for Suburbanites". I do not mean that as a criticism. EAG is clean, tastefully decorated and the service is friendly. It's safe - it's not a hole in the wall with dubious hygiene (my favorite kind, btw)

Safe can equal tradeoffs though - my vindaloo was ordered spicy (duhhh....because it is by definition) but had just enough heat to make my lips tingle. I was really hoping for a face melting, nose running experience but perhaps they wanted to spare the other diners. That aside, the dish had a good spice flavor, if not the heat, and I ate it up.

I'm pretty sure you can do FAR worse in the area which seems to be satiated with chains. Skip the chicken flingers or whatnot at Ram and get some "legit Indian" here instead.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Seattle, Washington
“Non friendly Manager !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

For a restaurant I would definitly expect the manager to be friendly,but here the situation was different.

I try to avoid this place just because of this very reason,and there are so many good Indian restaurants few miles away too(In n around Renton,Tukwila).

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Arrogant Manager”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

This restrant manager doesn't have respect towards humans(Customers is a word he won't understand in life time) food is the worst you can get in this area.
Do not go to this place.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Albuquerque, NM
“Excellent Indian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Whenever I travel on buiness I search out nearby Indian food. Sometimes I'm lucky and its good and sometimes I'm not. This was EXCELLENT. I ordered the Tandoori Scallops. I was a little concerned about ordering seafood at an Indian restaurant, but when I ordered it, the waiter said, excellent choice. He suggested I try some garlic naan with it too. When the food arrived I was very pleasantly surprised with the presenation and the scallops were cooked to perfection. I will definitely return.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“excellent authentic India food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

One of the best Indian restaurants in the Seattle area, Great tasting food, and excellent service. The mixed grill is superb. Go for their lunch buffet, and try a taste of many of their dishes. The owner takes great pride in his business and it shows. You can't go wrong dining here. We enjoy going as often as we can.

• Visited March 2012