“Stay- only if you're desperate!!!!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 12 hotels in Federal Way
Houston, Texas
“Stay- only if you're desperate!!!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Check-in was long and confusing since we pre-registered and pre-paid but Manager- Brian (no uniform- looked unprofessional is shirt untucked) could not find the paperwork. It must've taken 20-25 minutes to figure it out only to have only 2 rooms ready. We were checking in at 2:30p. We needed 5 rooms. Ugh!!!!! There were also lots of security cameras that you can see from small front desk area. What for? Nothing to steal- especially the breakfast...really???
Foyer is very basic. You know it's kinda sketchy when there are vending machines with ramen noodles and a couple sandwiches in it. Ice machine is next to vending machine too.
We stayed with our swim team. Very few hotels and most of them with full capacity in the area close to aquatic center so we had no choice. Smell of hotel is dank and drab. Room is typical. A couple of the rooms had mirror closet doors loose and they fell as they were opened ( happened in 3 rooms). Remotes for a couple of the rooms would not work. No fitness area or no pool- AND it is located next to a construction area. Breakfast is complimentary and AWFUL!! It consists of old coffee, (with packaged dry creamer and sugar packets), tea bags, oatmeal packets, pre-packaged very small muffins, tangerines, and bananas. That's it!! You would think there would be cereal, milk, and juice too, but that requires more thought.
The big clincher was that the hotel did not have water for at least 30-45 minutes one afternoon!! Really??!!! The managerial staff did not warn us or even apologize for the inconveniences.
The only savior with this particular 2-star hotel was a the nice custodial staff. They cleaned the room every day and were very good about replenishing the towels and cleaned where needed.
You would've thought the front desk staff (no uniform) would say good bye as we left out the building. Customer service very poor too!!!!
Overall- during our 7-day stay, at least we had so-called clean rooms to go to every night.
Stay- only if you're desperate....which we we were. Other places have got to be better than this place!!!

Room Tip: Choose this place - only if desperate!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

On our way up to the Seattle area to visit relatives and needed to be between Tacoma and Seattle. Looking at the different reviews online, quite a few in this area had mixed reviews. The first two nights we stayed at two separate hotels, until we found this little gem! I had read a couple of the reviews in the past, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect... but it is definitely the best value around! It's off the main highway, so it's quieter than you'd expect. The rooms are large, comfortable, and CLEAN! The service at this place was impeccable! Every one of the desk clerks made us feel welcome and wanted. We had the pleasure of meeting and working with Brian, the General Manager. He was great! He was extremely accommodating to my family, has great knowledge of local attractions, was more than willing to help us with directions, set up our taxis and even gave great ideas on ways to spend our time in the area. We truly felt like his personal guests. We stayed a total of nine days and the only suggestion we could come up with, is to start breakfast a little earlier than 7am. Overall great hotel, great staff, great time! Thank you!

Room Tip: We were on the South end, on the second floor. Very quiet!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

There were a few hairs on the sheets, and a stain, and I found two ants crawling on the comforter. We stayed here three nights, took advantage of the HBO at night, and were overall satisfied. The pillows are smaller than the standard size, and square, so we had trouble getting comfortable for awhile. Don't count solely on the continental breakfast: it's coffee, tea, instant oatmeal, and pre-packaged bakery items. Our key card didn't work when we came back one night, but the front desk staff fixed the code immediately. The armchair looked dirty, as well as the carpet, but I never walk in bare feet in hotels/motels anyway. For its price, it was clean enough.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Pahrump, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

This is my second trip to Washington, Seattle area. This is the second Econo Lodge that I have stayed at in this area. I chose this place due to some person, in their review, commenting on the fact tv had more channels. Well, it does! It has Direct TV with HBO. Another plus is the bed is newer, so the springs aren't worn through yet. It is situated nicely, minimal, if any, road noise.; eateries and shopping is conveniently close, but not right next door. The building is newer with all rooms inside, so security is good. The room does not have a microwave, you have to request one if needed, first come first served. There is one in the lobby, so it is not a big deal.

Water pressure is poor. The "complimentary breakfast" is prepackaged donuts and muffins, some fruit, and oatmeal. Coffe or tea. Yep, no waffles, cereal, milk, or juice. This is the first Econo Lodge that I have stayed at with such a paltry breakfast. One of the main reasons I choose Econo Lodge is the breakfast, it had always been a bonus, not this place. But, since I am here to visit a relative, and spend more time in my room than out, I would rather buy some flakes and milk and have more channels, than waffles with poor channel choices.

The staff here is friendly and helpful, the rooms and hallways clean. Parking lot well lit, area quiet. Definitely more pros than cons. I would stay here again.

Oh, they do offer Military Discount, but the early booking online is a bigger discount.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 3rd floor at the end of the hall. No one walking on my head and no loud talkers mea...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Spokane, Washington, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My stay at the Econo Lodge in Federal Way, was a good experience with only a few areas, that could be corrected to make it a better stay. The staff was extremely courtesy and helpful. It is an older building, and a few areas would have made it more tolerable for customers. I did smell an odor in the lobby next to my room, a scent that the cleaning staff had used on the rugs, was very offensive. I have allergies, and the smell raised havoc with my sinuses. When arriving for a continental breakfast, it was one of the worse that I have experienced in my travel. If they can’t bring it up a few notches, they may be better served, by not offering a breakfast. I do feel the price was excellent, and if they could use a different scent I would consider booking at this establishment again. My personal rating is 2 stars out of 5.

john

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Brian K, General Manager at Econo Lodge Federal Way, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear John,

Thank you for your stay at Federal Way's EconoLodge. I appreciate you taking time to review us and offer your opinions. I would like you to know that our housekeeping department has changed policy on the airfresheners used in rooms, to a less offensive and obvious scent. After your review, we changed focus on covering oders to neutralizing them. We have also added a couple of things to our breakfast, such as bananas,apples, oranges, and oatmeal. Thank you again for your review, and thank you again for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again, the next time you are in the Federal Way area!
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Pacific Highway South is not my favorite location, but it made sense to stop there on a road trip to Portland, so there we were. The price was definitely right, plus the new shopping and restaurants just up the road at 320th are GREAT -- as good or better as you'd find in any nice suburb, so that's a big plus if you don't want to pay Seattle lodging prices.

The hotel's parking lot is just-big-enough, and brilliantly lit. Desk staff was really friendly, breakfast was enough for our needs, and the room was pleasant and clean.
My only nitpick is that upon opening the room door, I was struck by two things: the very 90's ordinary decor, and the powerful MOTEL smell I remember so much for my childhood. My husband actually liked that, and to repeat, the room was clean. But a strategically-placed Plug-In would have made my experience there even better.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Check in was lengthy but quite friendly. They do seem to brag about being completely renovated, that is not the case. They do have fresh paint, new carpet and tile. They said the beds and furniture was new but definitely didn't look the part. The entire room was outdated, old tv's, counters, ac and shower heads. The room seemed to be fairly clean however, yet no ash trays in the smoking room. I was on the third floor and it seemed to be a very popular location... people talking loudly in the halls, dogs barking, doors slamming and being pounded on at all hours. The staff was quite friendly and did what they could to help out. Over all I will never return. Hotels really need to learn the difference between touch ups and renovations.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Econo Lodge Federal Way? Share your experiences!