“What a pleasant surprise.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
BOOK DIRECT & SAVE
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Elma
Apple Valley, California
“What a pleasant surprise.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

We found this place after leaving Aberdeen Wa. because we could not find a decent hotel at a good price. By the time we got to Elma, we were probably ready to settle for less and I wasn't expecting much from a hotel named Microtel.

I booked a room after inspecting the lobby and public restroom, and finding them spotless. Our room was equally clean, comfortable and nicely appointed. A very nice surprise.

The nice evening desk clerk gave us an end room on the top floor. Because of its location, It was quiet even though the walls seemed thin. If you have a noisy neighbor, it might be a problem.

I second the reviewer that mentioned the good Mexican restaurant on Main St. In Elma. It's easy to find. Just drive down the main street in front of the hotel to the center of town. The restaurant is named, "El Ranchon". The ladies there run a nice operation. Good food served in a clean environment. Another nice surprise in Elma.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

Very nice room and very clean. The mattress was very comfortable. Great lighting in the bathroom. Nice breakfast selection and friendly front desk. I asked about restaurants in town and they recommended a Mexican restaurant, if we liked Mexican food, which we do. From the hotel, drive into town; it's midway on Main St., on the right side of the street. It was the BEST Mexican food we have ever had! Don't miss it!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

Extremely friendly staff! Rooms were very clean and comfortable, we especially loved the pillows! Breakfast was great too with lots of choices. This is just the perfect stop on our way to the coast!

• Liked — Excellent location to stay for our coastal excursions, less expensive than right on the coast and a very makeable drive to spend the day.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

Brittany, the desk clerk, was a doll! She was so warm, friendly, and very helpful. She got me change and soap for the washers and dryer, and helped with other questions I had.
The property is VERY clean and well-maintained, and I have no complaints about our room. It had everything needed, and was very clean and very quiet. They even had a sign that there were BBQ's available to use at no charge!
Their breakfast was very fresh and tasty: they offered cold cereal of many types, individually wrapped bagels and english muffins, and pouches of fresh sliced apples. You could also get coffee or juice at any time of the day or night.
This was our first stay at a Microtel Inn, and we would definitely stay here again.
Brittany was also on duty the morning we checked out, and was very personable. She thanked us for staying, and said how nice it was to meet us. I hope her manager sees this review, as this young lady is a true asset to Microtel Inn!

• Liked — SO clean!
  • Disliked — Nothing not to like!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Warren
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2007

There's not much in Elma, but this is 'almost' worth a detour.

I've never stayed in a Microtel before, and this place is a credit to the entire franchise. I was told it was three years old, it looked and smelled like they had just finished building it. Immaculately clean, everything in room looked brand new. Extremely friendly and professional front desk.

It felt like a home away from home, and on the road, that's nice.

It's obviously a favorite to others beyond me, the front desk seemed to know everybody by name.

The ownership appears shared with the adjacent convenience store, and you get coupons for free purchases there, that I used.

They also keep a nice assortment of local menus in the room, and I found a good place downtown to eat.

• Liked — Overall, one of the best motels I've stayed in in years.
  • Disliked — Nothing - no negatives.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Murrieta, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2006

The best Microtel is in Elma Washington (30 miles west of Olympia). This hotel, opened in 2005 is very quiet, has a very comfortable bed, nice fluffly pillows, offers an expanded continental breakfast, they gave us coupons worth $2 for each guest to be used at the deli/gas station next door, all of the usual amenities, and best of all the jacuzzi suite has the deepest most comfortable jacuzzi bathtub I've ever encountered.
This hotel is worth the extra 30 miles if you need to go to Olympia!

Half Moon Bay, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2006

My daughter lives in Elma, so I stay at the Microtel whenever I go to visit her. She had a baby last September so I ended up staying there three times all together.

Their rooms are very clean. I'm not a real stickler for cleanliness, but this place is CLEAN. The things I also love are that they have two high-speed computers in the lobby for guests to access any time they want; newspapers at the doors in the morning; free hi speed internet in the rooms; cable TV in the rooms; and free telephone calls, local and long distance. How can you beat that for the price?

Also the location is just beautiful. It is so peaceful! I love to go for walks in the mornings when I'm there. There is a beautiful little cemetery just up the road (I know this probably sounds strange), and it's a great place to walk. Also when you check in, you will get free "Toad Bucks" to spend at the mini mart next to the hotel - like having free money! I think I got about $10 each time I stayed the last time, which meant I didn't have to go into my spare cash to buy a snack at night - really nice.

The staff there are very nice to talk to. The only problem with the hotel is that their coffee is terrible - it's dispensed by an automatic machine, and it's really weak - surprising, considering they're in Starbucks State. When I complained about it they were very understanding and said they were locked into a contract with the vendor, but were trying to change it. The continental breakfast is rather poor, so if I were you I'd go next door and get their coffee for breakfast and skip the free breakfast at the hotel.

Otherwise, I just love it there.

Stayed September 2005

Been to GuestHouse Inn & Suites Elma? Share your experiences!