“Above Average” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Ellensburg
Tacoma, WA
“Above Average”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

We patronize HIEs for about 2/3 of our travel stays. This property is definitely better maintained than many, and possibly the best place to stay in Ellensburg. It's a newer building, although the furnishings are already starting to show some hard use by less than considerate guests. As for special amenities, the approx. seven foot high shower heads are great for that "rain forest" shower feel. Another nice touch is the "USA Today" delivered to your door each morning.
As another poster commented, if you request a room on the side away from the parking lot, the view is trees, a meadow, and distant hills, very peaceful. The breakfast room also overlooks the meadow, and the pancake maker is up and running again (although we prefer the cinnamon rolls)! All the staff we met were pleasant and helpful, especially Catlin at the front desk.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

I've stayed at several hotels in this area and the Holiday Inn in Ellensburg is amazing.
The hotel is like brand new and the rooms are both clean and comfotable. I enjoyed the nice pool and hot tub. The front desk staff were very polite. They had cookies baked which were actually really good. I had forgotten my toothbrush and they provided me with both a toothbrush and toothpaste free of charge. If it's the weekend be sure to make a reservation because the hotel is so great it often gets sold out. I would def stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Mukilteo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We have been staying at the Ellensburg Holiday Inn Express for six years now! The rooms are clean and comfortable- its our home away from home! Our girls have been going to CWU so we visit a lot! They have always been very helpful to our family! We would recommend them to anyone! The Dunleavy's

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Elma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

My husband and I arrived in town early, at 1:30, and although check in wasn’t until 3 p.m. we thought we would stop by the hotel to see if there were any rooms available yet. If not, we would go get lunch and come back at 3 p.m. for regular check in. The woman at the front desk told us there were no rooms available yet. We said that was fine, we would come back at 3 p.m. for regular check in. She then told us check-in wasn’t until 4 p.m. I told her I was pretty sure my confirmation said 3 p.m. and again, she said no, not until 4 p.m. I told her that was fine, but if there was anything she could do get make a room available at 3 p.m. we would appreciate it since we were in town for a concert and wanted to be out of the hotel by 4 p.m. and headed to the venue. I returned to my car and the question about check in time was still bothering me so I got out a copy of my confirmation to double check. My confirmation did in fact say that check in was at 3 p.m. I returned to the front desk and showed the lady a copy of my confirmation that said check in was at 3 p.m. and asked her to please make sure we could check in at that time since we needed to leave at 4 to head to the concert we had tickets for. She told me no, that check in was at 4 p.m. I told her that my confirmation said 3 p.m. and that’s the time I needed to check in. Another lady stepped up to the front desk and told me rather rudely, “If you want to check in at 3, then we’ll check you in at 3,” and then turned around and walked away. I said thank you, we will be back at 3 for check in.
When we returned at 3 p.m. the lady at the front desk politely welcomed us back and told us room 128 was ready for us. We filled out the check in form and proceeded to our room. As we opened the door, we found a room in complete filth. It had not been cleaned up since the previous guest and was disgusting. I called to the front desk to have housekeeping sent down but my husband said he was going to walk up there and talk to them. During this time I told the operator about our room and was told to come back to the front desk and they would put us in a different room. My husband asked to speak to the hotel manager but was told she wasn’t available. We were then moved to room 228, which was clean and in fine condition. We were both extremely angry, but since we still needed to stay the night at the hotel we decided to wait and file a complaint directly with Holiday Inn Corporate, instead of with the hotel manager so as not to cause any problems during our stay.
I have stayed at more hotels than I can count. I’ve stayed in anything from a Holiday Inn in Ellensburg to a Comfort Inn Seaside, from a Hilton in Kansas City to the Fairmont in Maui. I have had mistakes made with availability at check in, or even with incorrect rooms. I have never, whether it was the lady at the front desk, or the other lady that stepped in and said we could check in at 3 p.m. if we wanted to, act vindictively like this. I felt concerned to leave our personal belongings in our room while we were gone at the concert. I am still upset that we were treated this way, especially by a hotel as widespread and well known as a Holiday Inn. I hope that action is taken against the front desk personnel and the manager at the Ellensburg Holiday Inn Express to ensure this never happens to another guest.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Manager-Ellensburg, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
We pride ourselves in ensuring all of our guests receive the best possible service and are disappointed to hear about your experience. We apologize for not being able to check you into your room at 1:30pm, however, our hotel was sold out the night before and no rooms were clean and ready at that time. Our agent admitted being wrong about the check-in time and we have provided all our staff with additional training so that does not happen again. As far as our staff being rude and/or vindictive we can assure you that is NOT a regular occurrence nor is it tolerated. Additionally, we have corrected our procedures and systems so that we will not have a glitch again, as you experienced, where a guest is checked into a dirty room. We have high standards of service and cleanliness here at the Holiday Inn Express. What you experienced is not up to par with those standards nor is it by any means something that will ever be repeated. We invite you to return to our hotel for a second visit to see for yourself that your experience is NOT STANDARD. Please accept our deepest apologies.
Rochester, Minnesota, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

This was overall a very nice and clean motel, but broken hair dryer in our room, hot tub was not working, and the pancake maker for breakfast was not working. Only 4 towels in the bathroom when it was reserved for 6 people. Nice to be in walking distance to some restaurants.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
We appreciate your review of our hotel. We are sorry to hear about the maintenance issues you experienced during your stay. We do everything possible to ensure everything in our hotel is in good working order and if something does stop working we get it replaced as quickly as possible. Unfortunately in this instance our hot tub and pancake machine needed parts that had to be ordered. As for the hair dryer, that was replaced immediately. Additionally, it is standard for us to only place a certain number of towels in each room; however, upon request we can always deliver extra towels. We will work with our maintenance team to ensure these issues do not arise again and we appreciate you sharing your comments with us. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel again in the future.
Federal Way, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Although this was a business trip, I found myself really enjoying my short stay at this Holiday Inn Express. After a nail biting driving across the snow-covered Snoqualmie Pass from Western Washington, it was a pleasure to receive a warm greeting from the front desk staff. When I made it to my room, I found it to be comfortable, inviting, and oh so cozy. At the end of my day, it was a joy to snuggle in to my soothing bed and just drift off to the land of snooze because my room was extremely quiet. In the morning, I did not partake in the breakfast fare, but it did look delicious and well beyond the traditional continental breakfast. The hotel is centrally located with plenty of eating establishments surrounding it. I would definitely recommend a stay here.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Ellensburg, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

Brittany has taken care of us in multiple ways today. Answered lots of questions. Made arrangements for our stay for 7 days in Seattle, WA. Made sure our laundry was dried even though the guest clothes dryer was not working. We are extremely proud or what she has done and how she has represented your hotel.

James & Connie Vinton
6-6-2011

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express? Share your experiences!