“Great location, OK price, Customer service lacking” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge

You added Econo Lodge to your Saves list
Econo Lodge
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1390 North Dolarway Rd., Ellensburg, WA 98926-9362 (Formerly Cedars Inn Ellensburg)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Ellensburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Portland, Oregon
“Great location, OK price, Customer service lacking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed at the Cedars Inn on CWU graduation weekend and decided to try the Cedars instead of our usual Hampton Inn because it was $50 cheaper/night. Just couldn't fathom spending almost $200/night for the Hampton in Ellensburg. The location was great and the place was clean. Recently updated. The gal at the front desk was less than accommodating with our requests, i.e. checking in before the check in time. She made the blanket statement that "check in is 3" when we asked if we could check in at 1:30. She finally looked at our rooms to see if they were available after we asked directly. I had another interaction with her over a blow dryer (they are not in all rooms!) and it confirmed that she was not front desk material. She is the face of the hotel and gave us an unfriendly view of the place. Besides getting blowdryers in ALL the rooms, I suggest getting a sheer curtain in addition to the blackout curtain on the first floor so that the curtain can be opened during the day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the "lake" side of the hotel. The gal at the front desk told me that we...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Bozeman, Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed overnight on my way to Seattle. Convenient and close to I-90. Lobby had nice atmosphere. Staff was friendly at check-in. Room was clean but a little dated. Bed was ok. Went to take a shower in the morning and found there was not a drop of hot water. Hotel wasn't that full so shouldn't have been due to everyone using water at the same time. Desk person's only comment was that they would have to call a plumber. No apology. No offer of accommodation or discount. Onsite breakfast was a bit sparse though the atmosphere was nice. I'll look for different accommodations on my next trip through. Great little coffee hut across the way.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Made a reservation, by phone, on the day of. Check-in took a while because of a malfunctioning modem. But once it was up and running, internet was quite fast. We had a king bed and the room was clean and big but, they furnished it with really wide tables and drawers that made the room feel cramped. My only gripe is that it was hard to figure out how to turn on the shower and the shower head was no match for the water pressure. I thought it would fly off the wall at some point because water was coming out in several areas. Didn't see the breakfast spread but hubby came back with waffles, cereal and apples.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Princeton ID
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We were very impressed with the cleanliness and upkeep of the Cedars in Ellensburg. The front desk folks were very helpfull. The motel is close enough to good dining establishments to be convenient. Godd access to the Interstate, but not too far from downtown.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Olympic Penninsula
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I asked for a room with no stairs, was sent around back to room that had 3-4 concrete steps to get up to room level, then another BIG step up into the room. I found a rocky fill next to 2nd floor stairs that I could struggle up without using the stairs. But the only way I could pull myself up into the room was by sticking my fingers between the hinge and door. I ran a bit of water into the tub to test it and went out for lunch. Returning, I found all the water had run out. I complained to front desk about the tub and she should have warned me about the stairs. She said, our tubs don't hold water, nobody takes baths any more. Take a shower. All our rooms have stairs unless you take the handicaped ramp here and go back through the open hall in the building.

She could have told me but didn't think it important. She offered another room but tub probably the same. Or, she could get me a room back the way I came in Ellensburg, near the railroad. I chose a refund and drove another 7 hours to get home through the snowy mountain pass.

Room Tip: Front ground floor rooms, if available, have giant truckers parking lot near front. Rear rooms have...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

If it only had some ‘have to have’ food nearby. Perkins, Ihop and Subway are the nearby choices.

Very well kept up … I’d put it on the level of the Comfort & Quality Inn’s (which I place above the Day’s Inn/Super 8’s) Nooooo issues. Both the PM and AM desk clerks were pleasant.

Dedicated big rig parking is a plus.

Not sure what breakfast was as I had to leave early, but that area looked 1st class also.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This hotel reminded me of road trips from the 70s - it was clean but small. Located right next to a pond, it was quiet, although you could hear people come and go, The 2 queen beds, table, dresser, TV, fridge barely allowed any room to walk around. The bathroom was very, very clean, but very, very small - you had to close the door before sitting down. The sink was outside the toilet/shower area. The carpet was old and I chose not to go barefoot.
The breakfast was loaded with carbs, such as waffles, breads and cereals, but little proteins. They had very good apples and plentiful coffee. An okay way to start the day.
The various staff members were all very friendly and helpful.
I would stay there against nothing else was available, but it isn't anything fancy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!