“Something's Changed” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Mount Vernon, Washington
“Something's Changed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

I live on the west side of the mountains and have been going to the Valley Cafe for years. I like it so much, I schedule my trips to the east side so that I can stop in for lunch or dinner. In addition to wonderful food, the main attraction for me has been the wine store next door and their emphasis on local Washington wines . On a recent visit, I was surprised - and disappointed - to find the wine list dumbed down and downright ordinary. The economy must have hit them hard. There were only 3, maybe 4, offerings by the glass - nothing very interesting - and the bottle list seemed to have shrunk considerably. They have a wide price range with several bottles in the low 20's - but the emphasis seems to have shifted to "affordable." That's not the case with wines by the glass - I paid $9 for an OK glass of wine that you could have ordered by the bottle for $24 and taken home for $15. They feature a local winery in their glass pours - which is great - but you don't have much choice. Bottom line, if you've come to "taste" Washington, better try somewhere else. My waitress was very gracious and attentive, but she was very new and didn't know much about wine.

The restaurant still looks the same - inside and out - and that's a good thing because it looks great, the original restoration was done really well and it still has the art deco / pioneer feel. But I left disappointed because I have come to expect so much more.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Washington State
“Best dining experience in Ellensburg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

Definitely one of the top dining venues of Ellensburg, Valley Cafe continues to provide about the most interesting menu in town. Valley Cafe maintains an interesting and informative wine list of regional and international wines.

Service is always cheerful and professional, probably the best in town. I have experienced unusual wait times due to large groups, but this is understandable in any of the small proprietorships in this little town.

Despite subtle menu changes, Valley Cafe maintains a few standard entrees, two of which are my favorites: the Ravioli and the Beef Tenderloin. The tenderloin has been overcooked one or two times of maybe twenty visits, but Valley Cafe is our go-to place for a good steak.

Of all the local venues, Valley Cafe does not pretend to be something more than it is, but what it is is quite nice. It is not elegant, it's a cafe, albeit an "artsy" one with a creative menu. The wait staff is eager to work with you, to really accommodate you, and this rare professionalism is greatly appreciated. The prices run high, but not unreasonable.

Always pleasant, clean, and interesting, Valley Cafe provides my favorite local dining experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington
“Unique Menu, Awesome Service, Average Pricing, Cool Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I love food and the ambiance surrounding my meal so I truly enjoyed the original Art Deco decor at the Valley Cafe and the quirky menu options to match. The service was wonderful as well as the Fiesta Ware used to serve our food and drinks. I had a turkey/avocado/tomato/swiss baked sandwich with peanut/chicken soup and although the sandwich was good, the soup stole the show hands down. The prices were average (not cheap, but not too expensive either) and the portions were not skimpy so not sure why other patrons have complained about the prices - I felt I definitely got my value's worth. If visiting Ellensburg again, I would certainly revisit the Valley Cafe to sample their other menu items :)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Consistently above average”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

I've lived in the area for 3+ years and have been to this restaurant about six or eight times. It is always consistently quite good. Complaints about prices and service from others surprise me, as it seems moderately priced for the portions; and service, in my experience, is better than most. It doesn't pretend to compete with sophisticated Seattle and other urban venues, but it is a great asset to Ellensburg. Other places in town are all very "hit and miss"... I recommend it.

Bend Oregon
“Amazing Service and Excellent Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

Late in September I traveled with three friends to Leavenworth, WA for a girls getaway hiking trip. On our way to Leavenworth we passed through Ellensburg, WA around dinner time. We all like to eat healthy foods and one of us had special dietary needs. We were driving around looking for a suitable restaurant and we just happened onto the Valley Cafe. The menu looked great and so we decided to dine there. The waitress greeted us with warmth and seated us quickly. Two of us made special requests and there was no issue with them filling our special requests. When we received the meals we were amazed at the delicious display on our plates and that was only surpassed by the taste. I can't compliment this establishment enough as the service was outstanding and the food divine. We did learn that the waitress was going to school and majoring in communications. I must say that anyone who employs her is getting a fine employee.