“A place to relax” 4 of 5 stars

Cross street: 226th St SW
Edmonds, Washington
“A place to relax”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

The decor is wonderful and the atmosphere was very relaxing. It is a place that toes the line between laid back and a little bit dressy. We started with the bruschetta and baguette with butter. The baguette was the most amazing surprise, we ended up ordering another. I had the pear and gorgonzola pizza on the advise of friends. I was very disappointed, i could barely taste anything, it tasted like salty bread. I have been told that this is abnormal by several friends, so i would give it another try. My companion ordered the pork chop with marsala, it was delicious to say the least.
My total conclusion is that i would put this on my list of places to return to for a quiet dinner with a friend or significant other. And order at least one baguette with butter!

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Lacey, Washington, United States
“LOVE THIS PLACE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

I love this place - everything is good. From the pear pizza to Caesar salads in Mason jars, you won't be disappointed. The outdoor seating is great on warmer days. You MUST eat here. Ted will love you for it.

Edmonds, Washington
“Five was Fantastic!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

We have been wanting to try this place out since it opened around a year ago but were reluctant to go with kids as it looked more like a quiet place and two young children may not be the clientele this restaurant was going for. Well, on a Tuesday night we figured it would be slower and if the kids did act up we would not be bothering as many people so we gave it a shot. (On an unrelated note, the kids were well behaved.) And we were pleasantly surprised that we were not the only family with school-aged children there and the restaurant was great with kids! They have a separate kids menu. And the unusual decor also kept the lil'guys interested.

The atmosphere,as mentioned above, is a plus at 'Five.' Lots of antique items placed randomly around, old pics on the walls, unusual art, and gauze draperies hanging in various places from the ceiling. Oh, and the ceilings even had cushions (I think they were cushions) attached to it. The place was really somewhat of a work of art in itself and whomever put it together should be commended. There is a separate bar area as well as a back patio with a couple communal fire-tables (long rectangular tables with a fire running down the center) and lots of additional tables. Though we didn't sit back here we did check it out and even though it was outdoors and particularly cold that night, the siding along the enclosure and the fire-tables kept it toasty.

The food was very good, though slightly short of great. We ordered a couple apps. They were the gazpacho and the bruschetta. The gazpacho was served warm and we were surprised to find it was made with shrimp. We assumed it would be veggie. It also seemed to perhaps be made with olives or maybe a tempenade, not sure. It was good but not like the gazpacho I've had at other places. The bruschetta was very good. It is served with goat cheese and drizzled with a vinaigrette. It was right up my ally and I would definitely order it again. Both my older son and I ordered pizzas. His from the kids menu and mine off the regular menu. Though I ordered the larger of the two choices it wasn't too much and I had no problem finishing it. The pizza was very good but it did seem a little on the salty side for my tastes. I think they may have sprinkled an herbed salt on the dough perhaps. My wife had the steak in a chimchurri (spelling?) sauce which she said was very good. It came with grilled potatoes and grilled leeks. My younger son ordered the mac and cheese off of the kids menu and if Five's mac and cheese isn't on the regular menu, it should be! It was phenomenal. It was baked perfectly with a unique cheese sauce and was crusty across the top.

One last point of note is the location. Five is located on Edmonds Highway just as you are about to approach the stretch of 5th Ave that takes you into the bowl and downtown. It is nestled in between a Shell gas station and an Auto parts store. Not exactly a usual location for fine dining but PLEASE DON'T LET THE ODD LOCATION SCARE YOU from trying this great place!!!! I do wish it was closer to the downtown Edmonds area near other places like EPulo and Chanterelle. But it's not, it is where it is. So for a great evening out with (or without) the kids give Five a go.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington
“Eclectic Bistro Atmosphere, Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

A fun place in a somewhat unusual location on Hwy 104 in Edmonds. Except for all of the cars filling the parking lot, you'd never guess driving by the little strip mall that this fun Bistro is there. It has a full bar and beer and wine menu. The Bistro is eclectically decorated inside and has quite a bit of seating and has a large patio out back that has two seating areas around gas fire pits, both for atmosphere and warmth. There are also lots of individual tables on the patio. The waitstaff is attentive and the food is unusual Bistro food, mostly along the line of handmade individual pizzas made up of unique combinations and salads. They also serve appetizers and desserts. We have been to this Bistro several times and have taken out of town guests there and always have good food, good service and good times.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
1,726 helpful votes 1,726 helpful votes
“Might Be Better for Dinner or Happy Hour”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

We stumbled on Five as we exited the Kingston Ferry, and were driving toward I-5. It's a pretty nice little place in a strange location right on the highway. Inside is nicely laid out, and the back patio must be really cozy at night with fire pits, heaters, and candles. We were there at 2:05 PM, and as we arrived our host informed us that they had 2x1 glasses of wine - but we were 5 minutes too late so too bad for us. Thanks for the information!

The lunch menu had some good sounding sandwiches, but as we perused them, we were informed by our server that after 2:00 PM, only pizza and salad was available. Nice! OK, we opted for some pizza. It was kind of personal sized (even small appetites can probably eat a large), served on a plank on wax paper, which made it weird to cut it because you ripped up the wax paper while doing so. The pizza was passable, but nothing to write home about. The first time we were brought the wrong pizza, and the server started to blame it on us, but then realized her mistake and quietly brought us the right one.

All in all, this was a nice lunch stop, and it might be better for dinner (or even lunch) than it was at our mid-day stop, I think the back patio seems like a nice hangout, though you can hear the highway noise pretty good. But our experience was quite mediocre overall.

• Visited June 2011