“Best chowder in Orcas” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 30 Restaurants in Eastsound
Cuisines: American, International, Bistro, Fish & Chips, Pan-Asian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: •Casual Pacific Northwest Restaurant with International Flair•Casual, Innovative, Delicious!•Inviting, Relaxed Atmosphere•Stunning Views of Water, Marina and Islands Beyond•Spirit of Hospitality•Friendly, Attentive and Knowledgeable Staff•A Favorite Island Locals Gathering Place•Committed to Giving Back to our Community
Houston
“Best chowder in Orcas”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I gave this restaurant a 3 instead of a 4 because of quality differences in the items on the menu and the poor seating. We did have a reservation, as suggested on TripAdvisor. Even though we made a reservation over 24 hours in advance, we got a booth near the door and not anywhere near the windows. The service was attentive and friendly.

My husband's tilapia and our chowder were extraordinary. But the bruschetta was plain and lacked flavor, and the prawn puttenesca was mundane, dry, and also lacked flavor. So go with the chowder and the tilapia, and stay away from the bruschetta and prawns! I think the view from the restaurant would be beautiful, but I'm not sure how far in advance you need reservations in order to one.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Portland, Oregon
“Great food and view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The food was excellent at this little restraurant. We even came back the second night. I had tilapia the first time and salmon the next all served with great local vegetables and really nice sauces. Their clam chowder is not be missed either.

Visited July 2013
Salem, Oregon
“Just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

As many reviews mention make reservations! This is also clearly a place where locals like to go. We walked in 15 minutes after it opened and were told maybe we could get a table, there was NO ONE in the place and when I glanced into at the reservation book I saw only 3 reservations for 5:30 and there were 3 times as many tables.
We were seated, had a waitress with an attitude. We ended up just ordering a burger & fish and chips which were fine and left. As we ate the place did start to fill with locals folks but never reached capacity in the 45 minutes we were there.
I understand some people don't appreciate tourists, this place just had a strange vibe.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Camano Island, Washington
“nice view good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband and I ate here on June 1 2013 while on our first visit to Orcas Island. We did not realize reservations where needed but the staff was able to make room for us on the deck. The view was great and the food very good. I had the special of blackened tilapia and mac and cheese and my husband had shrimp and pasta. We would recommend both. Very good . They service wine and beer but no liquor.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
woodinville, wa
“good food, pleasant outlook”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This is a place for good food, from casual to fine dining. As part-time residents of Orcas, my husband and I are always on the lookout for good experiences eating out and West Side Cafe fits the bill.Recently we both had the special of the evening, a delicious lamb shank with couscous, a good Argentine wine, and a wonderful apple tart with real whipped cream. At other times we have had the very good burgers.The view out over West Sound and the marina is lovely. In warm weather there are tables on the deck. Service is friendly and good.

Visited April 2013
dreamorcas, Owner at West Sound Store & Cafe, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. Joe is doing a lot more slow cooked meats as specials this year--and the guests have liked them a lot. The lamb shank and the short ribs are in a race for 1st place with our regulars.