“refreshing old world charm” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Old Trout Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eastsound
Old Trout Bed and Breakfast
You added Old Trout Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
5272 Orcas Road, Eastsound, Orcas Island, WA 98245   |
Offers & Announcements
Package with Dinner
Ranked #5 of 13 Eastsound B&B and Inns
Friday Harbor
“refreshing old world charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

I recently had reason to stay overnight on Orcas Island. Friends suggested the Old Trout Inn. I arrived after dark on the tail end of a week of snow. Hosts Nicole and Henri had a wonderful dinner waiting for me (a special order) and my perfectly quiet room overlooking the pond and grounds was lovely. For background music during dinner (my choice) Henri played some of my favorite opera arias. After a hectic day of work and travel the dinner and music were divine. I typically hate hotel beds for being too soft with cheap synthetic bedding. The four-poster bed in my room had a firm mattress, a toasty down duvet, and rich cotton sheets. Breakfast the next morning was just as good, as was my wintery walk around the gardens and pond. In a past life, Nicole and Henri had French restaurants in the San Francisco Bay Area--Nicole's cooking is divine. This is an inn with old world charm (in the best way) inside and out.If you go, don't miss walking the grounds no matter what the weather is doing. Winter in the San Juans is quiet and beautiful without the usual summer crowds. Besides the lovely garden setting, just behind the Inn is a tall snag (dead fir tree) with a very large eagles nest, great for birders. I departed the next day unexpectedly refreshed and happy, looking forward to the next chance to come back. Thank you Henri and Nicole.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

the Inn keepers were wonderful incredible and very gracious , Food was great home cooked from garden and local farms. Beautiful gardens and large pond with fish. Great walking area .Away from town enough to not hear traffic or airplanes.
Henri and Nicole are wonderful keepers clean neat and creative. I look foward in seeing them every year. Have been returning for five years now. They charge less than other places and the home cooked food is far better. We never smelled bad odors always like spring the pond suite was light and airy and well ventilated. We will return in the spring.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

This is hands down the best bed and breakfast we have been to and we have been to quite a few. we were seven of us and got two rooms and a "suite". The hosts were friendly and left us alone for most of the part. Here are some of the details

- This inn is far from civilization on the way from the ferry to the town of eastsound. We enjoyed it as the whole purpose of our trip was to get away from the city and be close to nature, so we didn't mind it.
- Note that you would be staying in someone's house. Every room has its doors but it's still part of the house so you may hear some people walking around. We didn't mind it as we were one large group that took over the whole house.
- The little pond is beautiful. We sat on the dock in the night and sipped a little Woodford Reserve that I had brought from seattle. Perfect.
- The hosts are charming and very friendly. Feels like you are staying at your distant uncle's house. Henry cooked us a delicious breakfast of egg soufle and puff pastry with smoked salmon.
- The house is heavily decorated and it treads the fine line of between charming and kitschy (depending on your mood)
- One thing is that, if you stay here, you WILL need to drive to the town to buy or eat anything

We hope to go back.

Room Tip: The room on the lower level (pond suite) is beautiful but wasps like to hang out in the living room...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Kenmore, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

I have stayed at this B&B several times and always look forward to returning. Henri & Nicole are wonderful inn keepers and I have been well fed each time I stay. I have loved watching them develop the property and I always look forward to what new thing they have done. The large beds are wonderful as the hot tubs for each room are. It's pure tranquility for me.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Olympia, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

I was sorely disappointed with this place and would not recommend it to others. The biggest reasons are described below:
a) the 'pond suite' is the basement of their house with a bedroom and living area, but it had a dank musty smell, was cold and dark, and was not well ventilated. Although sliding doors opened to a deck and pond, the screen door would not operate properly, and the wasps were so plentiful, we couldn't get air into the place.
b) a second bed was in the living area and I had assumed for their $200/night charge, it would include the use of that bed - but alas, they charged me $25 PER NIGHT for my son to sleep there, saying it was for the extra cost of washing the sheets. We never even had them change the sheets! This was an undisclosed fee, and while I contested it with the host, he insisted it was a required charge. It is standard that when you rent a room, you rent the entire room, and this was clearly a rip-off.
c) they clearly do not wash or change everything between guests. Kitchen linens were not clean, they had stale gummy hard candies in a dish, and there were dead bugs lying around the windows. In the bathroom, they give you an assortment of USED hotel lotions and shampoos and what appeared to be leftover toiletries from previous visitors. Ughh!
d) although the hosts are from France and the food was not bad, it is not what I would call healthy and plentiful. The small egg souffle and croissant were fine, but watch out for the baked brie in puff pastry and three very tiny creme puffs with ONE strawberry. They make a good cup of coffee, but they certainly make no attempt to keep your cup full.

The grounds and location of the Old Trout Inn are not bad, but it is certainly not a place to which I would ever return and I certainly don't recommend it no matter how 'charming' the advertisements and other reviews are.

Quel domage!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Should we ever return to Orcas Island, we will most definitely return to Old Trout B&B...a totally relaxing get-away complete w/delicious French cuisine, situated on 5 beautiful acres. Your hosts, Henri and Nicole, will ensure that your stay is a memorable one! Should you choose to have dinner prepared for you, we can say without a doubt, the duck and salmon en croute were fabulous.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

Old Trout Inn is one of the finest bed and breakfast by far. Fifth generation authentic french cuisine is a must try served up with a personal touch. Serene settings and spacious rooms with hot tub accommodations makes relaxing unavoidable . If you are looking for your own slice of heaven at a great price you can't go wrong.

Room Tip: check deals at bottom of web page
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Old Trout Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!