“Dishonest Owner with Attitude” 1 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eastsound
Sleeping Sea
Save Saved
You added Sleeping Sea to your Saves list
412 Eastman Rd., Eastsound, Orcas Island, WA 98245 (Formerly Once in a Blue Moon)   |
Seattle, Washington
“Dishonest Owner with Attitude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

STAY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
A group of friends visiting from out of town decided to take a short trip to Orcas for a weekend and we found Sleeping Sea through an online search. The location suited our purposes since there were rooms to accomodate 11 of us. When we called to book our reservation, the owner/manager - Shana - insisted that we rent 3 rooms given our size, to which we agreed at the rates she provided. Upon arrival she said there were only 2 rooms available. When we asked her about the 3rd room she said it was still being constructed and was not ready for guests - essentially we paid for a room that would never be available to us. She did not offer us any other rooms, nor did we recieve any advance notice of this (the only communication was to ask us to delay our arrival to 530pm). To accommodate the extra people she would drag a futon mattress to accomodate the extra people in the other 2 rooms that were available. At that point we had no choice since we were already on the island.

Upon asking for a refund for the 3rd room after our stay - which cost us over $150, and we fully paid up front - Shana lost her temper and initially refused us any sort of refund or credit, calling our request "comical". Our contract with this business stated we would receive three rooms, and the business did not fulfill their contractual obligations. After several painful emails and a phone call to which the owner yelled at me, we were offered a refund of $50, but only on condition that I volunteer to cancel my contract for the following weekend, during which I planned a visit with my girlfriend. Many accomodations were already booked for that weekend so we would have had to piece together last minute lodging (which the owner must have known). The fact is this owner did not honor the sacred contract with the customer, and her excessively emotional (even irate) responses since then have been shameful for a business owner in the service industry.

If you are looking for a peaceful weekend on Orcas, look elsewhere and don't be fooled by the website, there are plenty of decent accomodations on Orcas Island. We strongly recommend steering clear of this business.

Room Tip: Save yourself the anxiety and look for a room elsewhere!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

10 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Northern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I wish I had read the previous review about the barking dogs near Sleeping Sea's Cottage in Friday Harbor. There were at least 4 dogs in close proximity: braying hounds, yippers, and woofers. Kind of hard to relax with all that racket, and I specifically said when booking that I wanted a peaceful rental.. One neighbor came out at 8 am to play with her dog, yelling over and over, "That 's a good Bernie! (Or maybe "Birdie.") When it was quiet, sitting on the porch was lovely. The cottage itself was okay, but too many small windows with no window coverings, making it hard to sleep past daybreak. And the place needs a toaster! Sleeping Sea's website is a lot fancier than its property.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
McCleary, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband, my mother and I stayed with Sleeping Sea over Mother's Day weekend and we had a great stay. Shana, the owner, was extremely friendly and very helpful from the first time we contacted her about the rental. She really made us feel very welcome. We stayed in the "Cottage" rental on San Juan Island. The place resembles a dollhouse and has quite the eclectic décor. The space was just right for the three of us and we were very comfortable, so no complaints on our end. However, I am not sure it would be suitable for more than 3 adults or perhaps 2 adults and 2 small children. Like I said, it was perfect for us, but my mom did comment that it would probably be a little cramped if there were more of us my husband's size (my mom and I are both small women). Just a warning to anyone wanting/needing more space. Regardless, we thought it was absolutely adorable and just right for what we needed. We never felt like we were cramped or on top of each other. Beds were really comfortable and the water pressure was fabulous. The lighting was a bit dim (most of the lighting is through small lamps) but we didn’t spend much time in the house and didn’t need a lot of light when we were there so it wasn’t a big hindrance. Just more of an FYI to anyone needing a lot of light.

Thumbs up to Sleeping Sea on their goal of sustainability and for being so environmentally friendly! One of the reasons we chose to stay with Sleeping Sea was their strong advocacy for environmental responsibility. I did read an old review that mentioned being put out by packing out their garbage…I guess in response to that I would just like to say that it is clearly written in their policies so it seems a bit silly to me they were so upset. Also, for the three days we stayed there we barely generated any waste… but, we are mindful of what we use, reuse and dispose of so it was of little bother to us. There are a few notes around the house, but they are unobtrusive (for example there is a note on the coffee pot that asks you to dispose of the grounds outside or under a plant) and again, reflect the environmental values of the owners. In the end we understood that the policies and friendly reminders are there to keep their property nice. I think the thing to remember is that it is someone’s private residence they are renting out to visitors, not a hotel. If you want the maid service of a hotel I would suggest going somewhere else.

The only drawback we all commented on was the neighbor’s dogs…unfortunately, there are a few of them and they bark…a lot…but I suppose the upside is that they didn’t bark during the night (probably because they were inside during the night). I know this is beyond the owner’s control, but if you need a lot of quite this is something to keep in mind.

All in all we had a really great stay and great experience with Sleeping Sea. We would definitely stay there again should we return to San Juan Island.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Our family spent 2 nights in Hammock house, Friday harbor.
The house is big but a part of it seemed like rented out for another party which I was not informed from any other source.
There is numerous warning notice written on sticky notes every wall and doors. Which made us uncomfortable. Garbage disposal was broken and the sink smells. We had to take our garbage with us when we left. We didn't want to stay any minutes and won't come back again.
With that high price, I expected a lot more than that.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

This is a charming, comfortable vacation rental, offering three seperate lodging units or the entire house for larger parties. We (two couples) stayed in "The Cottage" at the rear of the property which was very secluded and private. We loved the eclectic furnishings and loved having a private deck to enjoy meals on. The town of Friday Harbor is a short five minute walk away, which made it perfect for us since we did not bring our car. This is the perfect place for a relaxing get-away.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

I frequent Orcas Is regularly and cannot imagine going w/o staying @ Once In A BLue Moon Farm, with a trek to the beach @ Sleeping Sea. The owners, Shana and her family, have created warm, enchanting environments, replete with personal attention to meet each travelers needs and interests---including Shana's incredibly delicious free range, organic eggs. Her beautiful (working) farm has phenomenal plantings of seasonal flowers and is nestled in the forest, replete with hicking trails, gorgeous sunsets, and stunning views of Tutleback Mtn, just minutes away. Sleeping Sea, billed as a beachhouse is a delightful Victorian replica down to the detail of the wallpaper and fixtures. Best of all, it affords sweeping views of the Canadian Rockies and its own private boardwalk, just a step to the beach----and minutes from Eastsound shops and quick, easy access to Moran State Park. Even better, children and dogs are welcome!

Room Tip: book early
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

I actually find it mind boggling that there are negative reviews on this place. It was gorgeous, unique, and cozy. I highly recommend this place to anyone who is looking for unique, cozy lodging. I loved every detail!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sleeping Sea? Share your experiences!