“Visited on Sea Kayaking” 5 of 5 stars

Type: National Parks
Attraction Details
Seattle, Washington
6 attraction reviews
“Visited on Sea Kayaking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Contact Shearwater Sea Kayak on Orcas to rent kayak
Uninhibited island - thus peaceful serenity with animals, birds, and nature

Visited July 2014

Bellingham, Washington
15 attraction reviews
“Boater's paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

With several different options for mooring in and among it's various bays, plus dock space in Fossil Bay, Sucia Island offers uncommon opportunity for boaters looking for a destination or a tranquil way-point on a longer journey. Camping space is offered on the island itself, and a pavillion (a shelter with tables) is available via reservation by groups, but the island is otherwise a state park and true nature preserve--no vehicles, no homes, just a ranger and rugged natural beauty. As well, the island is all relatively low but undulating elevations so hiking is pretty grand.

Visited April 2014
Mukilteo
“Tranquil Setting for Boat Lovers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Beautiful setting, gorgeous bays and inlets . Great natural trails for walking and hiking.
You can anchor out and row a small dingy to shore for a picnic. Or tie up at the dock. We have done both and always lucked with beautiful weather and tranquil waters. Study your charts and read the tide book.

Visited July 2013
Eugene, Oregon
“Amazing island!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Fossil Bay has beautiful views, dock space and mooring balls. Also campsites with the best views! Island is a jaunt but definitely worth it!

Visited May 2014
Plano, Texas
13 attraction reviews
“This was our "go to" island in the San Juans while gunkholing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

My brother owned a 28 foot sailboat and was an excellent sailor. He took me sailing in the San Juan Islands and we visited Victoria several times. We towed a small rowboat behind us and lived onboard the boat whenever we dropped anchor or tied up to a dock. We had a one burner alcohol stove & real "icebox". We ate a lot of canned chili w/beans and Vienna sausages. I gotta tell you that these trips were 99% peace, quiet and beauty and 1% absolute terror. The weather is a big factor in these waters and the water is very very COLD.
Sucia means dirty in Spanish. The fingers of this island tend to trap material in the boat harbor area. While we were there I asked my brother, "what are those tiny white flecks in the water?" and he replied, "toilet paper." That really discouraged any thought of getting into the water.
We made one trip to Victoria from Port Townsend where we started in bright beautiful sunshine and hit fog so thick you could not see the mast from less than 10 feet away. We hear a foghorn nearby and my brother zoomed into the cabin & came out shortly. I (landlubber that I am) asked what the problem was and he replied that he had to call the Coast Guard with our exact position so a large ship would not run over us. It turned out that they could not see us an we could not get out of their way if they came upon us. We did a 90 degree turn and booked for the John Wayne Marina. We never made it to Victoria that trip.
Look, going to any of these islands should be on your Bucket List. The way we did it was perfect. Victoria is my favorite large city in my world to just walk around. I spent several days just wandering via shoe leather and public transit. I loved it!!! I have been going here for 20 years.

Visited June 2013