“Great location, nice staff” 4 of 5 stars

Rosario Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   1400 Rosario Road, Eastsound, Orcas Island, WA 98245   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Eastsound
California
“Great location, nice staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

This was our second stay at Rosario. As many have noted, the rooms in the Bayside/Skagit building are showing their age, but they're very well maintained. The bed is comfortable and the location is quiet. I still think it's a great value for the cost. The grounds are lovely, the new work-out room is nice as well. The food at the Cascade Grill has improved over last year.

The furniture arrangement in our room could have been better with a good sitting chair near the window where a view can be seen. The comfy chair was stuck in a dark corner while the bed was next to the window. It would have been preferable to put the bed deeper in the room and the sitting area close to the window.

Phone reception is almost non-existent at the site. They should warn travelers.

Room Tip: Upper floors have better views.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Sequim, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We wanted to explore the island and spent two nights at the resort. The mansion was fun to tour and you really should spend some time at the museum. Room was clean, small coffee maker, real wine glasses provided which we thought was a nice touch. The room also had a small balcony overlooking the water. We had breakfast at the resort and the food and service were excellent. I am not sure kids (especially teens) would have enough to do on the island or at the resort, although it appeared you could rent scooters and kayaks nearby. Overall a wonderful experience!

Room Tip: Higher floors have best views and are likely quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
�N�^^��
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The place is lovely. The landscaping is gorgeous, as are the views from just about anywhere on the property. We loved having an adults only pool, until shift change when all the 20 somethings that work there get off and come relax with some cannon balling into the pool and yelling at each other about Taylor only being 17! The inside pool was big, and again, great views-nice sauna and steam room. A really great aternoon by the pool, nice salads and drinks poolside. As we came through the spa gift shop, I stopped to try one of the samples that were open on the shelves. I used the little plastic spoon to get out a tiny bit, when this woman, who had previously been chatting with some man by the register, came flying over and informed that I should NOT use the testers by myself, that I had used WAY too much, and it was VERY expensive. It wasn't and I was shocked, turns out she's the General Manager's wife!! He plays a 1900 Steinway most afternoons in the Mansion and there's a great veranda around the bar that is the dining area, every table has an ocean view! We flew in, and if we do it again, we'll get a car. There's one 'cab' in town, and there was dog hair all over the floor and seats. He charged us $25 for the ten minute (if that) drive to the resort. The rooms are average, but again, the view-but since we didn't have a car, we hoofed it to dinner, which was fine, but a hassle checking in with luggage. They need a shuttle! Food was great, and Nadine at the front desk was awesome-we arrived early and our room was later than 4pm, so she comped us two drink and an appetizer. Great experience except the snotty spa sales person!

Room Tip: We were in a Harbor View room and it was great. Nice balcony, room average, but fridge, safe, and n...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
RosarioResort, General Manager at Rosario Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
I have apologized directly to this guest for her experience in our spa. Apologizing is about making sure these issues do not arise again, so we have changed our procedure regarding samples of our Eminence Skin Care products, which were in place for use by our estheticians to help their clients select product. We have also changed our policy regarding employee use of the facilities. Being an isolated resort, we have allowed employees use of our facilities on a discreet basis, but obviously they were anything but discreet during this guest’s visit. Our bathroom amenities are supplied by Gilchrist and Soames, one of the most highly regarded soaps, shampoos and lotions in the hospitality industry. I am happy they enjoyed the rest of their stay at Rosario.

Christopher Peacock
Rosario Resort & Spa
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We had dinner with a lovely view. Worth going for that. Two of us had fish and chips. No cole slaw which was crummy. They used halibut but it was pretty fatty. Way too many french fries. Service excellent and the wine was good. My daughter had mussels. They smelled delicious. A lot of them.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed in 2350 Hearthside suite for 5 nights in July. The top room floors are the best; two balconies that are nestled in the pine tree canopy overlooking the small marina and grounds of the resort. The mansion is spectacular to view from across the bay during daytime and lit up beautifully at night. Our room had floor to ceiling windows with gorgeous views of Cascade bay and the yachts moored there. I tried only 1 of 3 pools; family pool was great for kids. Outdoor firepit alongside the marina and a great little market and Beach Grill with good food. We also ate at the more high end restaurant, at the Mansion, and the food was excellent. Service was great everywhere; especially housekeeping. I have stayed in many high end resorts and although this is not a five star resort, it is certainly and wonderful, very comfortable, peaceful place to spend a vacation. The island had a lot to offer in terms of sightseeing (don't miss Orcas Pottery). I wished we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Pick a top level floor. Hearthside suites are two rooms (King + murphy bed) + full size kitchen and...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I obviously did not see the same side of this place that other reviewers did. "Hillside #2000 Rooms" are disgusting and run down. I thought it was a prank. When I went back to the front desk the gal said, "ya, we acquired them earlier this year." Then offered to refund all of my $ and find me another hotel in the area.
Here's the description of the room I was assigned: the building from the outside has overgrown landscaping, and chipping paint, it's set up like an old apartment building with units on the ground floor and an outside corridor above for the 2nd floor units. Once inside, you smell the old musty building and see more chipping pain. The cheap motel 6 furniture is the best attribute to the room (I didn't check but I'm sure the night stand had a bible). Above the bed -this is the best part- is SOUND DEADENING FOAM! That's even low for motel 6. Now looking out the window, once you peek through the over grown grass and shrubs, is an old decrepit shed that is ready to fall down, the backs of other apartment buildings, and some views of the water. I'm not sure why they're using this building when it's obviously not ready for guests. I would not recommend this place. I'm still upset I wasted an entire day and $50 to take the ferry over.

• Stayed July 2014
RosarioResort, General Manager at Rosario Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
I am sorry to hear that Rosario did not meet this guest’s expectations. Not stated in this review was the fact that we first offered to upgrade her to a different room, but when that was refused, we did offer to find a different hotel, which was also refused. We recently re-acquired these rooms, and though not newly remodeled, they are very clean with furniture purchased when RockResorts owned the property. I do understand some do not favor the “distressed” look in furniture. The panel above the bed is not sound deadening foam, but a heating panel. When on the balcony looking out towards the water, there is a partial view of our laundry facility, but it is not an “old decrepit shed that is ready to fall down.“ All that aside, I am disappointed this guest had this experience at Rosario and wish she would have allowed us to find her more suitable accommodations, either with us or with someone else, so she could have enjoyed a beautiful weekend on Orcas Island.

Christopher Peacock
Rosario Resort & Spa
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We did not stay at the resort, but went for the 4:00 music concert (daily except Sunday) and history presentation. This is free to anyone, not just guests. The building is very interesting and has a two-floor "museum" (rather generously named). However, each day in the music room there is a brief music recital (on an original Steinway and huge organ). There is also a very interesting slide show of the original owner's early twentieth century photos. It makes for a very pleasant hour at the end of a day of hiking.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Rosario Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!