“Aged rooms, bad dining experience” 3 of 5 stars

You added Rosario Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Rosario Resort and Spa
1400 Rosario Road, Eastsound, Orcas Island, WA 98245   |
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Eastsound
“Aged rooms, bad dining experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed two nights in a Harborside Hearth Suite, it's a 1BR/2BA/2 decks unit for four people. The rate was ~$300 per night incl tax with a minimum two nights stay.

Lodging

Pros:
- The setting in Rosario Bay is stunning, the views from the deck were amazing.
- It's calm, serene and beautiful.
- Everything in the room was functional.

Cons:
- The room is at least 10 years overdue for a renovation. While the rooms had new furniture, the carpets, kitchen and bathrooms looked like they were 20-30 years old.
- Both patios had not been cleaned in weeks, lots of leaves.
- The patios did not have tables or outdoor lights, only four plastic chairs with a plastic ottoman between both patios. The chairs had not been cleaned in weeks either.
- We burned a log in the fireplace in the first night (they provide a log for guests) but room service did not clean out the ashes the next day.

Other:
The whole resort simply looks like it needs to be renovated. This includes the rooms, the common areas of the lodging building (looked more like a motel than a fancy resort) and the common areas of the resort (such as pathways etc). A big exception were the outdoor pools: Both in great condition and clean. The indoor hot tub was nice, too.

Dining - Mansion Restaurant:
We had dinner
reservations for four for 7:30pm on a Sunday in the Mansion Restaurant. We were promptly seated and had a gorgeous view of the bay from our table. 30 minutes after our orders were taken, we were told that the Filet Mignon was out. Since they were also out of the tuna, this meant that two of their 8 entrees were not available. The waitress stated it's a small island. While that is true and while planning errors happen, it is not ok to take 30min after taking orders to discover that something is unavailable.

My cabernet came out at room temperature, my mom's pinot came at cellar temp. The appetizers showed up 45 min after we ordered them; the waitress did not acknowledge the long delay nor provide an apology. She did not check in with us during this long wait either. After another 30min of wait (i.e. a total of 75 minutes wait time), our entrees were brought out. Again, without acknowledging how long it had taken. The salmon was missing on my mom's dish at which point we asked for this to be fixed quickly as it's already been 75 minutes. She said she would comp the meal and promptly brought out the salmon which we appreciated. Our dishes were:
- Pesto pasta with chicken ($21): was yummy but there was no pesto.
- The hamburger ($16) was ok.
- The couscous with salmon ($22) was great.
- The pork chop with gnocchi ($29) was not good, meat was pink inside and the gnocchi were stale & dry.
Our waitress came back simply to ask "does it taste good?" Again, she did not acknowledge that the food was late and their miss with the salmon. She did not offer me nor my mom another glass of wine when both of our glasses were clearly empty.
After finishing the food we were not offered desserts nor another drink. When we asked for the bill she had already printed it out with her (confirming that she was not going to offer desserts or more drinks). She again did not apologize for the excessive wait time or for the food mishaps. She did not even ask if we had a good meal nor if we needed anything else. She just didn't care.

Summary:
Short menu and only partially available, very long wait, and non-caring service. Food itself was ok but nowhere near what you expect based on their reputation, setting or pricing. The views were amazing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

205 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

This was our second time staying at the Rosario Resort. We love it here - the facility is very nostalgic and very classy. I have to say I was very disappointed in the attitude of the ladies at the front desk when we checked in. They were very short with us and they almost seemed put out by my inquiries. But other than that I would highly recommend this place. If you plan on staying here, especially during peak season, make a reservation for dinner when you check in. The restaurant fills up quickly. You may want to make a reservation for breakfast too!!

• Stayed August 2013
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed at Rosario for the first time two weeks ago. What a great place! The staff worked hard to accommodate our every need. They got the ADA accessible room for us since I am in a wheelchair. The room worked well and had a wonderful view of the bay and marina. Loved listening to the water lap the shore during the night. The housekeeping staff did a great job keeping it clean during our stay and were so very friendly. The only complain I have on the room is that the beds are too high. I made transfers very difficult. That is the only complaint I have.I understand they are builting an accessible suite that was near completion during our visit. It is a charming, beautiful place. It has a grill on the water for a great meal in a casual setting, but the restaurant in the Moran mansion was outstanding. It had wonderful service and the chefs are creating delicious food. The grounds were also well maintained and beautiful with lots of historic charm. Orcas Island is a magical place. I hope that we can return there someday. Thanks for making our stay incredible!

Room Tip: Bayside rooms are within easy walking distance to mansion and marina with beautiful views of the wat...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Los Gatos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

The Cliffhouse at Rosario Resort, as its name suggests, is perched on a cliff overlooking Cascade Bay on Orcas Island. It is a standalone building, only steps from the Moran mansion. The house is advertised as a honeymoon suite, but don't let that stop you from booking it. Any occasion will do.

The suite has a gas fireplace, lovely sitting area, comfortable four-poster bed, and jetted soaking tub. The layout is such that the microwave and refrigerator is out of sight. That also means the quiet of the room is not punctuated by the noise of a refrigerator compressor.

The Cliffhouse is in excellent condition, with a modern interior that's tastefully decorated. The seaside wall is studded with windows and sliding glass doors, giving the maximum view. If you are someone who must sleep in a completely dark room, the suite is equipped with shades.

A porch runs the length of the suite, providing a private perch from which you can watch sailboats and seaplanes come and go. Below the porch you can see lots of orange starfish. On a full moon night, the glow on the water is mesmerizing.

The Moran mansion that's next to the Cliffhouse is a pristine arts-and-crafts style building built by Robert Moran, a Seattle shipbuilder. The furnishings, lighting, and woodwork are obviously ship-themed. On most days, general manager Christopher Peacock, gives a 4 PM concert on the 1900 Steinway and the 1913 Aeolian pipe organ. Mr. Peacock also tells the history of the mansion and shows historic photographs. After the concert, you'll get a chance to see parts of the mansion not otherwise open. The concert is a must-attend event (and free).

Both the dining room and the lounge have a selection of tasty, often locally sourced, food.

There are three swimming pools on the property as well as a spa. I toured, but didn't use any of these facilities.

Room Tip: Stay in the Cliffhouse.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nites in the harbor side rooms and was pleasantly surprised. The outside of the building appears pretty dated, even the hallways leading into your room so I was pretty sure we were in for an old dumpy room. Opened the door and was very surprised to see an updated room, flat screen tv, ipod player / alarm. We had a two room family suite and the extra room had a full kitchen , dining room table, Murphy bed, couch, full bath, and fireplace w extra flatscreen tv. Very clean, super comfy beds, unbelievable view of the harbor off of the private deck. One thing that would have been nice that would have put this place over the top would be some decent outdoor furniture on the deck. Ours had some cheap plastic lawn chairs so we didn't even use the deck which was a shame. The restaraunt in the mansion was very good, had an excellent rib steak with prices in the $30 range for steak. The restaraunt didn't have much of a kids selection however there is a grill as well that is not as formal that was quite good and decently priced. The mansion alone is with a view as the craftsmanship is absolutely stunning. The upstairs has been turned into a museum and is well worth the view. All in all, a very good stay, although you will pay a premium price for it. I will be back one day hopefully

• Stayed August 2013
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

My girlfriend had never been to the San Juan Islands but always wanted to go. So I did a bit of research on a good place to take her away on a surprise weekend getaway (and propose to her). We went during the off season (December) and had much of the Resort & Spa to ourselves. I'd highly recommend off season visits to this place because you get great value and undivided attention from the staff.

I called in advance to ask the staff members their opinions on how best to propose to my girlfriend (now wife) and I was lucky enough to speak with probably the best person on the whole island about this subject. Kimaya, at the front desk answered and she happens to be a wedding planner who runs Cloud 9 Events on Orcas Island.

They talked me through the general timing of travel from the Seattle area and advised me to come Saturday morning instead of rushing in Friday night after work (restaurants might not be open by the time you get there). She described which room would be most appropriate to book.

Without getting into the details, pretty much everybody in the resort knew about the surprise proposal ahead of time except for my girlfriend, who didn't even know we were staying at the Rosario. The lady at the spa whispered to me how long my girlfriend's massage would take so that I could zip into town to buy flowers.

I proposed in our waterfront room (absolutely worth it to get the waterfront room) and everything worked as planned thanks to Kimaya. After she said 'yes', we had a celebratory dinner in the restaurant and any staff member we came in contact with took an extra second to congratulate us.

Perhaps my review is a bit biased considering how special the weekend was for us, but we were very satisfied with our stay and will most definitely come back.

Room Tip: The water front rooms are amazing. However, it should be noted that there are on-going renovations s...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Auburn, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Rosario's has been my go to place for the weekend or even (two) honeymoons ... I know!! Any way, you won't find a nicer staff that will go way out of there way to fulfill your request anywhere. I sent a custom ring to the hotel direct from the goldsmiths in MT to them and they hid it in her favorite flower bouquet on our table. The whole staff and I waited for 30 min for her to notice it, and when she did they all clapped... They have always been super nice and accommodating. Great views, awesome food and super staff.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rosario Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!