“Another living social experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Resort at Deer Harbor

You added Resort at Deer Harbor to your Saves list
Resort at Deer Harbor
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   31 Jack and Jill Lane, Deer Harbor, Orcas Island, WA 98243   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Deer Harbor
usa
“Another living social experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

As with many others, our stay originated with Living Social. We were late arriving due to ferry delays. We called ahead and the room info was taped to the office door. The keys were in the room..probably safe in this isolated local. The small harbor is quaint and quiet which means nothing to do except read and relax...both good and bad. The daily breakfast is delightful and the staff friendly. Housekeeping leaves a bit to be desired. The unit was a bit musty smelling upon arrival. We found a used bandaid stuck to the couch and a pair of ladies underwear in the bedroom.
There is only one average restaurant nearby and a handful fifteen minutes away in
East Sound via a scenic farmland backroad. We also had an interesting experience trying to pay the resort tax, as the clerk could not take cash, nor operate the credit card machine sitting on the desk, preferring to write down our credit card number for later use....hmmnnnn.
The island has great hiking and magnificent views, but we likely would stay in East Sound on a return trip.

Room Tip: Insist on one of the much newer deluxe cottages.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

We stayed here in August, it was beautiful. The rooms are older, but clean and come with standard ammenities. Walk across the street to the harbor. Each room comes with a hot tub on the deck, very nice to sit in at night and look up at the stars while enjoying a glass of wine.

They offer a nice continental breakfast, also have BBQ's to use at the clubhouse and a pool and even DVDS to rent. Great for families. This resort is in partnership with Wyndham or Worldmark as well so these members can gain rooms at a discount.

I really enjoyed our stay and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: for couples they have cottages that are really cute. groups larger must reserve the one bedroom uni...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I saw a great deal on Living Social and decided to get it as a gift for my fiance's birthday, which also happens to be Valentine's Day as a local get away before we go away to get married. I honestly figured that even if it wasn't exactly our fantasy destination at least we could get away alone with each other. It was on the other side of the island, more private and secluded, though on the main road, there is no bothersome noise (although we went 4/15-16 and there was some parking lot construction going on). The Resort at Deer Harbor hosts all individual cabins appointed with a king size bed, 3 comfy chairs, huge new updated bathrooms (though I would give up the whirlpool tub-there's already a hot tub-for a separate shower, but that's just nit-picky). I thought it was odd to be able to see from the bed into the shower-but maybe that's just me? There was iced sparkling cider and chocolates when we arrived. Getting there was a breeze, I would pack up all the snacks and treats that you know you will want, because on a island things are limited and much more pricey. The continental breakfast was lovely and fresh. Just enough to get you going. It's on a part of the island that get's next to no cell phone connection (it was actually great to be disconnected), so load up your devices with any movies or distractions that you might require. There's a deli at the little marina across the way, they make breakfast and lunch, fabulous coffee and I hear in the summer there's great ice cream.

Room Tip: Bring snacks, load up devices, little cell service, unless with Verizon
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Fantastic fist time experience with this resort. the Cottage was excellent. well equipped. Thought it did not had a full size kitchen, but the amenities in the cottage were very well thought of and placed. The jaccuzi in the master bath and one outside the deck were great. Continental Breakfast spread was nice and the Resort Receptionist/Manager was very welcoming. There was no House keeping on a daily basis available, which was informed to us. But that was something we felt was anyways not required for a weekend visit. The location of the Resort over the Harbor is great, with a beautiful view.

Room Tip: Didnt see a fitness room available so am rating average. We did not find a fan in the cottage, which...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Camano Island, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at the Resort at Deer Harbor this past weekend and had a fantastic time. Our trip was purchased via Yollar, a coupon site similar to LivingSocial. We had not problem booking our stay.

From the moment we arrived we felt welcomed. We arrived earlier than the check in time but our room was ready and we were allowed to check in early without any problems. The reception we received from the person working to check us in, coupled with the friendly greeting we received from Ethan, the caretaker of the resort, gave us a warm start to the weekend. The staff all proved to be equally warm and friendly, helpful with answering lots of questions about the area, and all seem to really enjoy their jobs.

We had a deluxe cottage which included a king sized bed, hot tub on our deck, jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, electric fireplace, DVD and VCR, TV, boom box stereo,microwave, small refrigerator, coffee maker and gorgeous view. It was very comfortable although I'd suggest bringing your own pillow along unless you prefer non-fluffy pillows. The whole place was very quiet. There was a bottle of sparkling cider chilling when we arrived, and some chocolates to go with it. The continental breakfast consisted of various breads, yogurt, granola, cereal, juice, coffee, and apples. It was more than adequate for a quick breakfast.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend it to our friends. We do not tend to return to the same place over and over again but if we do return to Orcas Island for another weekend stay, the Resort at Deer Harbor will definitely be at the top of our list for places to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

We used a LivingSocial Escape voucher to book this trip. Unfortunately a lot of other people bought the same voucher and weekends filled up fast. We were able to squeeze in a date in early October, when I had originally hoped to go up in August.

Unfortunately in order to get a weekend before the new year we did have to down grade our room. We had bought the deal for a Deluxe Cottage (600 sq ft, 3 sided fireplace, King-sized bed, bathroom with jetted tub/shower and hot tub on deck.) We ended up with a Junior Waterfront Suite (large suite over another suite, queen-sized bed, fireplace, sitting room, shower, hot tub on deck.) We went from what the resort considers a $$$ room to a $ room, but I did not know that at the time.

The one bad thing about the booking experience was the web site. It showed the amenities the resort offers (pool, grills, etc.) but no detailed descriptions about the cottages and suites. There are also no prices. I found this very irritating as I tried to work with the reservation agent to figure out a comparable room for our stay. I cannot blame her; she can only work with what the Wyndham corporation, who now owns the resort, gives her. She did the best she could with what she had.

Web site and downgrades aside, the resort really was lovely and perfect for traveling families. The views of Deer Harbor from our room and the marina docks was for lack of a better term, peace inspiring. It just made my mind go blank as I looked at the natural beauty around me.

Our suite opened up into a very large bedroom with a television, which we never did end up using. The small sitting area was the perfect place to set upour son's pack n’ play so he could be mostly in the dark and we could stay up reading without disturbing him.
The kitchen was on the other end of the suite and featured a small fridge, coffee maker and a microwave. The bathroom only had a shower, but it was large and had a heater in it, which I loved. Nothing is worse than stepping out of a shower into a cold room. Brrrrr!

The heat in the room worked very well, sometimes too well. We kept it at a steady 65 degrees, which was like kicking the heat up to 75 at our house. I was happy as a clam after a long, chilly day wandering around the island.

There was no daily maid service, but if you needed new towels or anything at all you just had to call the front desk or swing by the lobby. They didn’t bat an eye when we asked for another towel for our room. They even gave me a warm chocolate chip cookie when I picked it up. No hassle and chocolate? It’s like these people knew me personally.

The layout of the resort was pretty spread out. Cottages dotted a hill near the lobby, while a few more cottages and suites (ours included) were just a short walk down the road by the marina. The heated outdoor swimming pool (only open in summer) was right outside the lobby. Grills were sprinkled around the patio for guests to enjoy. Plastic ware and plates were available on the back deck so you didn’t even have to worry about bringing your own. If you were up for a movie you could rent a disc for $1. Not bad considering the nearest video rental store we saw was in Eastsound.

Cribs were also available for traveling families. We opted to bring our own, but if you were flying in or just didn’t want to pack one, it would be very convenient. Since our son was the only kid we saw during our stay, I’d say your odds were pretty good of getting one if you reserved it ahead of time.

The staff continued to make our stay a very pleasant one. We rent houses or condos so much when we travel these days that I forget what it is like to have someone to help you. When we were arriving after the lobby closed, the manager assured me they could put an envelope on the door with a map pointing us to our room. We were able to sneak quietly into our suite after midnight and crash as soon as we got there without making phone calls or disturbing anyone.

At the resort’s complimentary breakfast (8am-10am), the front desk woman entertained our son with her bubble screen saver. She also stopped him from running out the door a few times while I tried to gulp down my bowl of cereal and glass of juice. When the staff looks at your child as a blessing and an adorable addition to the place and not as a nuisance, I am a very happy guest.

Room Tip: Book early if you want a specific date Get a room facing the water so you can look out with a cup o...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Redmond, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

My husband and I stayed here using our Living Social deal. The communication with the staff to arrange for the trip was great, very friendly and helpful. When we arrived we were checked in by Janine. She was great, pointing out the different dining options in the area and what was included in the Living Social deal. The deluxe cottage was really nice, with a beautiful view of the marina. The room included a coffee pot, small microwave and small fridge. The sitting area is nice right off the bedroom area with a gas fireplace in between. The bathroom is huge! It is very well appointed and comfortable. The shower is part of the jetted tub area. I wish it was separate, because it was difficult to get in and out of. That is the only issue for our whole trip. They offer a continental breakfast and on the day we were leaving it was before the serving hours. The staff member (I failed to get her name) called and offered us the option to pick up breakfast items the night before. We appreciated the offer. We would definitely go back and recommend it to others.

One suggestion is that the parent company needs to improve the website and information about the resort. They do have a Facebook page, but the information is still limited.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Resort at Deer Harbor? Share your experiences!