“Polish on the apple” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Deer Harbor Inn

You added Deer Harbor Inn to your Saves list
Deer Harbor Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Inn Lane, Box 142, Deer Harbor, Orcas Island, WA 98243   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Deer Harbor
Portland, Oregon
“Polish on the apple”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was so very excited to come to Orcas Island. I had bought a Groupon for a 2 night stay and couldn't wait. The web site for the cabins said "Built on a knoll overlooking the tranquil Harbor and majestic Mountains on the Olympic Peninsula". I invisioned a great cabin with a view of the harbor. On the groupon they had a great picture of the harbor. When we got there there was only a peek of the harbor many miles in the distance. I was quite disappointed. I had made reservations for 4 adults in 2012. Never was I notified that 2 of us would sleep in a futon right next to the king size bed the other couple was sleeping in. But that worked out since our friends had to cancel at the last minute. Our adult son came with us instead and he slept on the futon. When you check in they give you a bag, a key and two pieces of candy with a piece of paper typed up on who to call if you have questions. You have to go to the office to call as your cell phone doesn't work up there. They did provide a very nice clean room and a cute breakfast basket with items for 2. But there was 3 of us?? After we left to drive around and check out where to eat for dinner and get the lay of the island we came back to a note that says they want my credit card number to charge me for the 2 others who are staying with me.At which point I did notice more granola for the extra charge. I explained there was only 1 more and they did only charge me $20 extra per night. They say they have a restaurant but it was only open one night. There are no times listed anywhere as when the restaurant is open. You help yourself to ice, computer and phone but I never saw anyone to welcome me or ask how my stay was. I will not be back. I enjoyed the island and will find another place to stay. I'm glad it was a Groupon becasue if I had paid full price I would be really upset.

Room Tip: defintely get a cabin but don't plan on a great view or to be welcomed two person max
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Gig Harbor, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My best friend and I stayed here for 3 days/2 nights to celebrate our "20-year anniversary". We got what we wanted - a nice, quiet place away from schedules and commitments. W enjoyed the fireplace, COMFY bed, coffee, dvd player and hot tub. We didn't see a single person the entire time we were there (besides the owner who restocked our supplies - coffee, food - and brought me an iron). We had cabin #1 which had a small view of the water and tons of windows (bonus). The only things we didn't like were that the log bed frame is bigger than the mattress (I can't count how may times we smashed our shins/knees on the corners) and the water pressure in the shower (pretty sad). Ao, if you like rabbits/deer, you'll love it. All-around, it was a good time!

Room Tip: Cabin #1 had a private hot tub and huge fireplace
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The Pond Cabin was lovely and clean; a nice location. Since we were traveling from quite a distance (not locals), we did not bring groceries and were looking forward to breakfast every morning, as was advertised. A basic breakfast was provided the first day and nothing the second. When inquiring about this afterwards (never saw the owners during our weekend stay), we were just told they didn't want to bother us because our cabin was so comfy. As a family of 4, having to buy breakfast out was an inconvenience and added expense. They did agree to credit a minimal amount upon request. As has been addressed in other reviews, customer service is not the strength of this Inn, but the location and nice accommodations are. (Note: good customer service would have been to apologize for missing breakfast one day and immediately offer to credit our bill, not to make excuses and have to be asked to compensate for the error.)
Not sure we'd return without a special deal, since the off-season pricing seemed quite high without it. Did not try the hot tub. Had dinner one night at the restaurant, which was nice, however, again somewhat over-priced for the level it is. But, nice wait staff and comfortable atmosphere.
Although this was a family trip, the "kids" are adults, not young children.

Room Tip: Did not stay in a lodge room, so cannot rate. The Pond Cabin was "very good". King size be...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I booked this resort from a Groupon hoping for a fun weekend away. We got what we wanted! We flew up to Orcas via a Seaplane through Kenmore Air. (they were fabulous as well and it really added to our trip) Arrival at the resort was welcoming and the staff was great. We rented a cottage, they have two. We had our own fireplace and personal hot tub on the back patio! The beds were amazing, just as comfortable as my bed at home. The place was very clean-- being that I work in the hotel business I tend to be "judgmental" to say the least... The best part was a cute picnic basket waiting in our room full of english muffins, fruit, cereal and yogurt, hard boiled eggs, juice and milk in the fridge! So creative and much appreciated! We dined in the restaurant on property which had great service and excellent food. In the rooms they also have a DVD player with tons of movies! Great place for a quiet getaway in the "off" season--!

Room Tip: Cottages are quiet and private
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kirkland, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

With a groupon deal in hand, the inn was exactly as described in the online website. While not what I would consider boutique, the charming, rustic light wood paneled rooms were super clean and functional. Staying in Room 3&4 in the lodge's first floor we had a sliver view of the water, but more of the surrounding hills and garden.

The Deer Habor Inn's decor is country cabin with homage fireplace heaters, small flat screens and plentiful free internet. Fridge and toaster are within the room with a microwave in the common area. In the first floor rooms you can plainly hear talking and movement in the other rooms, which did inhibit sound sleeping. The bed is a comfortable queen with light wood post beds which squeaked.

The common area was a great idea, but the implementation needed some assistance with breakfast items needing a home of their own, instead of in a large visible chest and strewn about. The Deer Harbor Inn reminded us of a better version of Hotel Impossible, where Blanche came in with some paint, new fixtures, a countertop here and there, and a new storage system and you would have a Wonderful respite location that is up to date and cozy, vs. what we saw which was dated (green carpet with floral print and orange towels), but good bones.

The restaurant was functionally good and family run. Same story here - great bones and busy on a Saturday night, but a few little updates in the cooking style and presentation could have made this place FAB! Are Ahi tuna was a long way from seared, and the seafood pasta needed a larger plate. Food was good, but the touches around the extra would have made superb.

We loved the place, but kept thinking of ways to increase revenue and the feel with small simple touches - (put in the same color hue of flourescent lighting within the same fixture, clean the mold from signage, and others little things) So much potential, super clean, just needed a few touches to be brilliant.

Room Tip: 2nd floor in lodge will have the best views and quieter, since floor walking noise affects lower roo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ballard, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We enjoyed our relaxing weekend at the Deer Harbor Inn. The inn was clean and well maintained. It was also nice to have breakfast waiting for us in a basket. We had privacy and the process was easy from start to finish.

We didn't see the owners when we were there. On one hand it was comforting to not have to deal with check-ins and paperwork. On the other, I felt like a greeting would have been nice. I'm sure they are pulled in many directions on any given day, so for that I give them a pass.

Wish I could have gone to the restaurant, but we will have to wait for next time. Will make sure to come back to Deer Harbor when we plan our next vacation to the San Juans.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My daughter and her beau, rented a room for my husband and I this weekend, I was pleasantly surprised after getting there and entering our room, our daughter told us it was a cabin, me a city women wasn't quite sure what to expect, but our room was very charming and clean and the breakfast in the basket what a wonderful touch, all unexpected!! My husband and I had such a great time just him and I getting much needed R/R, what a relaxing break from the city, we would do all over again. We did have a TV too and fridge, coffee and maker, toaster and outside our room was a microwave, they also served dinner on the property!! We were excited that are phones didn't work so we can focus on us! Thank you Deer Harbour Inn:-)

Room Tip: Room number 6 is a great room I was told now I'm a believer.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Deer Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!