“Quiet, country lodging” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Deer Harbor
Lynnwood, Washington
“Quiet, country lodging”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

We were looking for a quiet place to stay on Orcas Island, and certainly found at it at the Deer Harbor Inn. We stayed in the Boutique Lodge, and found the room to be comfortable. The one drawback of our stay was the queen bed. It was too firm for my back. The remote location was ideal. If you are looking for a place to stay that is away from the hustle and bustle of tourist locations, this is a great inn. The animals that were around the area added a lot to our stay. There was a peacock on the premises that was incredible tame.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Federal Way, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

I bought a $99 a night travelzoo deal special, then called back because I forgot to say to charge me $20 extra for our one-year old, and she rudely said: That won't work for me, they are too loud. And hung up. I then had to call Travelzoo and get a refund. The special said "boutique log cabin room" which I took to mean a cabin -- how could a child be too noisy in a cabin? She sounded really whiny when I told her that I had the travelzoo special, and then told me she only earned $69 per night on it. If she wasn't happy making that deal, she shouldn't have made it!

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
dhinn, Owner at Deer Harbor Inn, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
The Travelzoo promo was for a room in the boutique log cabin lodge . There are eight guest rooms in the lodge and is for older children and adults. When she called we were within our policy to state that your children do not work in the lodge..We had been recieving a huge amount of phone calls that day and had a number of calls on hold. We are sorry if we came across as abrupt or rude. The person did not stay here and received a refund for the voucher
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

THE LODGE:
My husband and I spend three nights at Deer Harbor Inn and LOVED ! The rooms in the lodge are very nice with cabin-like decor. We spent two weeks in WA state and I promise you, Deer Harbor has the MOST COMFORTABLE BEDS (so comfortable that I pulled up the sheets to check out the mattress brand.) There is a Keurig coffee maker in the room with coffee, creamer and different kinds of sugars and sweetener, a small frig, and a basket of goodies. I read previous negative reviews about the breakfast basket and this is the deal, Orcas is an area where the residents mainly use local farmers markets or what they have grown themselves since they do not have a major grocery store chain or wal-mart on the island. Anything they cant grow has to be bought at the very small local grocery store. I though the 2 bottles of orange juice, 2 muffins or 2 slices of some type of bread (like banana bread) and some fruit (usually 2 apples and some small oranges or nectarines) was more than sufficient and a very nice touch. I will try to post a photo of the basket at a later date. The lodge has a desk in the front room with a computer and you can get on the internet at no charge if you need to check on reservations, flight schedules or email. There is a microwave and china hutch that has wine glasses and wine bottle openers for anyone to use if needed. The sitting room downstairs has a book shelve and a little stereo and is very cozy and the one upstairs has a television. The gentleman that checked us in was very kind and helpful. We really enjoyed our stay and look forward to visiting again. If you have any questions at all feel free to send me a message.

THE RESTAURANT:
I am mainly writing this review for the lodge as I am not sure the lodge and restaurant are owned by the same person.

The food is very good and the view is beautiful. I do believe the staff could use a little training on providing that "wow" customer service that I expect to get when eating at such a nice place. I think this may possibly be a family ran business and if they would step up the service just a bit it would make a huge impact. It wasn't that our waiter was bad, just not attentive or personal and I got the impression he may have been mad. So my rating for the restaurant is 3 stars.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

We stayed at one of the fully appointed cottages with our own hot tub on the back deck. We had a little lawn that we could walk across to eat dinner at their excellent restaurant (twice!). The view of the harbor from the deck of the restaurant is beautiful, especially the fireworks for the 4th of July. This spot is about 10 miles from the stores, etc. in bustling East Sound, but quiet and nature was what we were looking for. The Deer Harbor Marina, with a little store, snack bar, and departure point for kayaking and whale watching is a 5-minute walk away. The staff was very friendly and helpful; a truly delightful stay!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I decided to try out the Deer Harbor Inn because of a deal that "Living Social" was advertising. I had never been to Orcas Island before and thought this would be a good opportunity. When I first attempted to make reservations, the woman on the other end had a hard time keeping the irritation out of her voice once she found out I had purchased my stay through Living Social. I called back twice after that to find out information and never got a response back to my messages.

Once we arrived, we were staying in a lodge (bunkhouse). I would say the room accomodations were adequate, but the walls were quite thin. We had to listen to the couple in the room next to us until quite late ( every movement and conversation - which is not nearly as sexy as it sounds) until we just couldn't take it anymore and turned the radio on to drown them out. We slept with the radio on.

We were told we could upgrade for aproximately $120.00 more and stay in a cabin. That would have almost doubled our expense for the night. We should have taken them up on it.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the lodge - pay extra and get a ca.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

We enjoyed our stay....why didn't you?

Pros: Welcome greetings, well manicured grounds, the room was cozy, fire place in the room, plenty of comfortable bed linens, the bed was very comfortable, loved that I could sleep with the windows open, huge bathroom with great amenities - single serve coffee pot and ceramic mugs (no regular sugar, only splenda), Hair dryer :), Dixie cups for rinsing, Shower soap dispenser, Soft towels, CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN... Now to my favorite part...THE RESTAURANT! Fantastic seating both in and out, SUPER friendly staff, GREAT MEAL...love the family style serving of the soup and the salad and the Ling Cod was super...No corkage fee...YEAH! and the Berry Cobbler desert....with tax and tip...$72.00 - WOW! And to the person who didn't like the way the wine was served in the room along with the cheese plate in crackers...you were not staying at a 5 start resort....I thought the carafe of wine was sweet and the wine was great and the cheese plate was a surprise and delight...I loved it all!

Cons: The only view I could see was from the deck of the restaurant (as I didn’t have a room upstairs in the front of the lodge, but that’s ok). The breakfast basket was odd...it seemed this is where they were trying to save some expense...very thinly sliced single piece of banana bread, a cut in half store bought muffin, 1 granola bar, 1 banana, 2 apricots, 2 OJ's (Here is a way to save but still appear to be abundant...make more homemade bread and give each room a 1/2 of a loaf, leave the granola bars & apricots out and put in two bananas and OJ). Maybe too much furniture in our little room...hard to walk in and out of the bathroom, but it also added character. Someone tried to enter our room in the morning thinking they had the checked out room key to the room next door...that was too bad but oh well mistakes happen. No Christmas lights above the hot tub....I read in an earlier review that they thought it was tacky that the Christmas lights over the spa hadn't been taken down...did you ever think that was there way of adding a bit of mood lighting and they weren't from Christmas? Put the lights back up please!

I can see where some people may be turned off by this kind of place but I think it all depends on the person not the place. If you want higher quality, go to Rosario...but on the other hand I visited there, they could use a bit of a face lift as well. So quit your complaining and enjoy the quirky charm that this place has to offer. It's a very sweet fun and relaxing place to stay with great restaurant. I would go back!

Room Tip: In Lodge Rooms 2, 3, 6 & 7
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

My wife and I went up to Orcas Island for the weekend arriving Friday night and leaving on Sunday. The grounds were well maintained and attractive. Views out to the water. We stayed in the lodge - though there are individual cottages. It was cozy and had an electric fireplace. Nice common areas and balcony to sit on. The daily breakfast basket was enough to allow us to lounge around until late morning before heading. The restaurant was excellent. We ended up eating there both nights and enjoyed both dinners. It was a chilly weekend so we didn;t get to eat out on the deck with the view down to the Harbor. It is a bit of a haul to Eastsound and the rest of the Island from the Inn's location - but that means it's close to the ferry. We will definitely be making another visit.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Deer Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!