“Anniversary at Suncadia” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Cle Elum
Kennewick, WA
“Anniversary at Suncadia”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife and I chose Suncadia Lodge to spend our 16th anniversary. We splurged and went with the deluxe penthouse suite with river view.

The good: The room (and entire property) has spectacular views, nice king-size beds / bedding, flat screen TV in the living room and bedrooms, etc. We found the staff to be very accommodating, friendly, and helpful. We had drinks in the lounge, which was busy (Friday night), but the service was prompt.

Prospector Golf Course was excellent, even priced @ $110 I really enjoyed playing it. My wife enjoyed bicycling on the paved bike paths, and there's a spa and a family rec center we didn't avail ourselves to try. We hiked two of the short trails that leave from the lodge, they're "ok", clearly marked, but really don't go anywhere. You hike down about a mile, then back up the hill. A little boring.

The bad: Sofa in the living room was dirty and worn with sagging cushions. The dining room chairs were scratched and marred. This is not the kind of furniture I expect to see when paying premium room prices.

There are rental condos and houses also available, but usually require to be rented for a full week, not just Friday/Saturday as we did.

Food in the restaurant tasted good, but is very expensive. Maybe one night for dinner at the lodge restaurant would suffice. FYI...I've reviewed a nearby local restaurant I'd recommend over the lodge.

Agree with another reviewer...go check out the little nearby town of Roslyn for lunch or ??, and Cle Elum and the Parlour Car Bistro for dinner.

In a few more years, this place might have more amenities to offer, ala' Sun River, OR. Some more family-friendly restaurants on the Suncadia property would be hugely successful.

Room Tip: River view rooms have spectacular views!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SuncadiaManager, General Manager at Suncadia Resort, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear RLFord,

Thank you for your detailed comments! We were excited to hear you chose to spend your Anniversary with us at Suncadia. We hope to be given the opportunity to welcome you back for many more anniversaries in the future. We agree the river views from our Studio Penthouse suites in the Lodge are amazing. Thank you for your comments on the furniture as well and I will be taking this back to the appropriate managers so that we can address as this is not the impression that the resort strives to leave and does not reflect our values nor standards in delivering great customer experiences.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again at Suncadia!

Scott Spann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I'd describe Suncadia as excruciatingly beautiful. The view is so exquisite. Quintessential PNW. Makes you want to buy a house there! The 1 BR suite was the perfect size for myself and 2 teenage daughters. My girls especially loved the spacious bathrooms with the glass shower and giant jacuzzi tub. I love the kitchen. Great for making breakfast and snacks. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the small pool on the "windward" side of the hotel away from the crowds. The big pool with the indoor water slides is fun too, just more noisy. Love all the hiking, biking trails. What a great getaway.... so close yet so far from Seattle.

Dear Susie C,

We LOVED reading about your Suncadia experience. We agree that there truly is something for everyone from great waterslides, miles of biking trails, hikes to the river and great food and only 80 miles from Seattle. We look forward to seeing you and your daughter again in the near future.

Wausau, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Let's start with what works. The location is amazing. The Lodge has an amazing view over mountains, the Cle Elum River is gorgeous, great hiking trails abound, and the adjacent town of Roslyn is worth checking out (for lunch or something - not much there but cute in a vacant mining town sort of way). The rooms in the Lodge are fine, but what makes the room is the view over the mountains. The view and sunset is amazing. The pools are great family places. I didn't golf, but the courses look nice (and very expensive). My wife enjoyed the spa with only minor complaints. What doesn't work is what is so frustrating. The service in the restaurants is spotty at best - prepare to sit while being generally ignored by busy staff while sitting in the restaurant. The food is really, really expensive for what you get and is not well executed and there are no good food options for kids at a reasonable price. On our last night we finally just ordered a pizza to our room (it was good) and were able to swim until dinner and then enjoy pizza on our schedule with our patio view of the amazing sunset. I guess that's it - you have to get away from the service and restaurant problems to really enjoy the amazing views and lovely aspects of this place. Can you deal with the crummy service, bad and expensive food in exchange for a wonderful spot with amazing views and fun hiking with great pool complex? This place could be amazing, but it just isn't.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the Lodge facility as it will have a patio with an amazing view out to...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Aside from the setting, which is fabulous, this resort misses the mark time and again. For the price you should get first class service here; even second class would be nice, but time and again the lack of any attention to customer service makes it not worth doing.
We splurged for a large, top floor penthouse room in the lodge as a treat for our daughter and fiance to share a weekend away with us before the wedding. One draw was the full kitchen; my wife would bake my daughters favorite muffins for breakfast. Except the oven didn't work; after trying to get it to preheat for over an hour, we gave up. The front desk's response: "You must not have known how to use the oven." Really?
We rented mountain bikes for the day, planning on a long ride. Riding away from the cycle/pool center where the resort rented us bikes, I noticed the front quick release connector on my wife's bike was completely unspooled..as in the front wheel was not fastened to the frame. On our return later in the day when we returned and called it to the attendant's attention, his response: "Gee the last person who used it must have done that." Clearly no inspection by them nor any willingness to take any responsibility.
Mid afternoon after a long hard ride, we take a table outside the bar which is attached to the lodge restaurant. Fabulous unobstructed view, well designed to sit out of the never-ending wind that always blows through Suncadia. No server appears after 10 or so minutes, I go inside, "do I need order here?" No, we'll come out & take your order. 10 more minutes later the server arrives, only to tell us he knows nothing about the menu as he has never worked there before. We order 2 margaritas, 2 cups of chowder, a sandwich to share. 15 minutes later the drinks arrive. After another 30 minutes, no sandwich.....or soup. Had we not been famished we would just have left.
Off to the lodge pool. Sign says towels are in the restroom. No towels, just an overflowing dirty towel bin. No attendant. Walk to the desk, can I have a towel for the pool? We called housekeeping, they're coming. OK, can I have a towel now? No. Back to the pool. After 15 minutes, still no towels.
And let's just not even get into how the front desk completely messed up the billing for our room, causing me to carry a wrongly entered $2100 charge that took days for the resort to credit when it never should have been charged in the first place.
This resort charges premium prices ++. The setting is world class. But the rest of the experience is sadly lacking, making the whole not anywhere near the prices charged.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SuncadiaManager, General Manager at Suncadia Resort, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear BGMoore77,

Thank you so much for letting us know about your experience at our resort. We appreciate you taking the time to detail the specifics. We have met with our team in an effort to share your comments so they are aware of the consequences of not providing our guests with attentive and personal service as this is not in keeping with how we are training our team members. Our promise is to continue to improve on our products and services moving forward.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Suncadia and showing you our commitment to our guest experience.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I rented a house with two other families this past week, and I'm still scratching my head. What's the draw to Suncadia? If you don't golf, there's a decent pool complex, but that's about it. There are better activities elsewhere.

The Suncadia complex is basically a country club, except that it feels lifeless. It doesn't seem like anyone there is having fun, nor enjoying themselves.

Look around. When you drive past the bike rental shack, notice how many bikes are racked up versus how many bikes you see out on the trails. Why isn't anyone biking? Because bike rentals are $45/DAY! Now, maybe Suncadia hasn't been to Walmart lately, but you can buy a throw-away bike for 2 days worth of bike rental. I find it tacky when "luxury" resorts feel that it's necessary to gouge their guests.

If you're considering a house rental, you will be driving everywhere on campus. This is not a small, walkable village. If you want to go to the swim and fitness center: drive. If you want to go to the winery: drive. If you want to golf: drive. If you want to go to the lodge: drive.

My advice to the Suncadia complex is to consider my initial point: what's the draw? If I don't golf (families with small kids), then what sets this place apart? If there were complimentary use of boats, bikes, and scooters, for example, there would be many more smiles seen around campus; there would be more "life" to the resort, at least.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stayed one night at the Suncadia as a stopover for a bicycle tour and the Inn is fabulous. It is a few miles in from the highway and I wondered if i was headed in the correct direction but eventually I found the Inn and was settled in my room. It was a very nice room and a wonderful stay.

Dear vagabond09,

I was so pleased to hear that you enjoyed a great stay at The Inn at Suncadia. It is truly an amazing intimate building with 18 guest rooms and a relaxed environment. We hope you make many more trips to Suncadia on and off your bicycle!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We took grandpa for the first time to this resort and we had an amazing experience. we brought our bikes because they have a 10 mile kids friendly trail. some hills, but not bad for a 7 years old.
Super friendly personal in their restaurant, just for some reason I feel they can not handle very well a full restaurant because it took too long for them to bring my kids food and the taste was not good at all. Funny because they ate the same for lunch and the lunch food was delicious, but it seems that they gave my kids reheated food. not good for my kids dinner. On the other hand the adult dinner was excellent, it took forever to bring it, but the taste was good. They need to learn that a kids friendly hotel brings first the kids food and that is the parents with small kids priority.
the room overall was very nice. beautiful bathrooms just the house keeping need to recheck the room before they leave because the balcony had rapers of cheese sticks and with a walking baby is not nice find your baby grabbing those form the floor. the they came and apologize a lot and cleaned. really fun to go to the pool in bikes and you can walk as well it is a shot distance easy to walk but mi kiddos find more fun to go on bikes. wonderful place to visit.

Room Tip: We had experience both views one to the river and the other to the entrance of the hotel. Either vie...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Suncadia Resort? Share your experiences!