“Hire a cook” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
seattle
“Hire a cook”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

We were there in October 2010, the off-season when almost everything on the coast is closed. This was the only place in town that was open and they take advantage of the fact that they have a captive audience that far from civilization. They couldn't even do a decent chicken fried steak but charged $16 a plate for trying. The meat didn't have a single bite that was chewable. It sat in bland canned brown gravy which, like the meat, was totally flavorless. Wish I'd ordered the fish'n'chips from the children's menu. Very nice server.
If you go, bring some bread and bologna and make your own dinner.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Redmond, WA
“Way too expensive for the food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

Both waitresses told me that "Chicken Fried Steak" was chicken...but when it came to the table, it was overdone, dry, streak with the oddest cornmeal breading I've ever seen. And it was very expensive, around $15! This is the middle of nowhere, the Breakwater needs a good remodel and the bathroom smelled horrible. The waitstaff was very nice. And the view was great, but one could have easily have eaten snacks in the car and seen the same view. My meal was the same price as Bella's in Port Angeles and Bella's very beautifully decorated, GREAT food and atmosphere. I recommend bypassing the Breakwater unless they drop their prices by 50%.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Wa
“It's been a while, but still remember the view and great iced tea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2007

Ok, this place is by no means 5 star....but it's not meant to be. Theres a little cheap but comfy hotel next door, which we stayed in the night before. We were hungry, so we took the trek across the parking lot to the breakwater. It is definatly the place for locals, and anglers in for the fishing derbies, but that didn't detur us. During our stay, my friend and I came in and ate, or just had coffee probably about five times. The food was good, the service average and friendly - but nothing to complain about. But what really brought us back again and again, was the view and the iced tea! OMG, whole street facing portion of the building is one large wide window that looks out on the water! So beautiful! And the iced tea was the best we had had in a very long time, very fresh, and always good, no matter what time of day we came in and dined. Prices were a little more than one would expect, but still worth it. Looking forward to going again with my husband next month!

Hayward, California
“Breakwater Inn: Lousy service, not so great food with a beautiful view...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2006

After driving for over an hour from Sol Duc Hot Srings and finding only a handful of places to eat that were either available or open I spied this place while driving west. It looked good from the outside and had 4 or 5 groups inside but the name was a little odd; is it an inn or a diner? Ah well, didnt matter since we were famished. So being very hungry we stopped to try it out. Well it was downhill, quickly, from there.

Once inside it was almost 10 minutes before being greeted and given a menu. Almost left but stayed patient, hunger ruled. After another 5-10 minutes the waiter came back to see if we wanted anything to drink. So after around 25-30 minutes we finally got to order. Now most of the other tables (3 of 4) had been served so it didnt make sense why service was slow. They had two people waiting tables. One group came about 5 minutes behind us and were served 10-15 minutes ahead of us.

Now our order was not extravegant or large by any means (1 omelete and 1 biscuits and gravey). So after nearly an hour our food finally arrives. No joke, Thank you! However the food was only lukewarm, the gravy was like water and my girlfriends omelete only satisfactory. At least they tried to keep her coffee cup full during this entire visit.

So for a quick bite for breakfast it was nearly a 90 minute stop.
Prices were a little higher than one would expect too. The seats were not comforatable and had large voids from heavy use I suspect. I was very disappointed in the food, service and staff. Seemed to me they were only interested in serving the locals.

This terribly bad experience (IMO) was alleviated however when I was able to spy 1 then 2 then 3 Bald Eagles circling the coastline about 10 miles up the road towards Neah Bay. Wow! What a great expirience. And the drive in the area was beautiful too. Just about completely forgot about the breakfast experience. But not quite.

Would NOT recommend to anyone who is not local or wants good, timely service! Continue to Neah Bay or onto Forks/Port Angeles in the opposite direction. This place was total disappointment.