“Very stale baked goods and more” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Portland, OR
“Very stale baked goods and more”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

It's always a hope to find a non-chain restaurant that has quality cooked food. Years ago, I heard that Spiffy's bakery items were really good. I always wanted to try it on one of my trips to Seattle. We stopped for breakfast. Two of us got cinnamon rolls to go, that were very stale. (I tried mine while waiting for breakfast.) We mentioned it to the waitress. She let us know that the rolls were first baked and then frozen. That begs the question, how old were they when they were first frozen? Sad, sad.

Kindly, she replaced them and commented that the new rolls felt softer (they were wrapped in plastic wrap). She let us know that we should stick the rolls in the microwave for a few seconds to soften them up. Duh, this is what you do with STALE bread to soften it. I was personally, seriously disappointed and even a bit offended. Those rolls cost $4.99 a piece, which was a complete waste of money. Sure enough, they were as stale as the first. They ended up in the trash.

Breakfast.....over easy eggs with red potatoes ($2 extra to substitute for hashed browns), bacon and sourdough toast. The eggs and bacon were fine. The bread was sourdough sandwich bread bought at a store or through a food supplier. The potatoes were tragically as bad as the rolls. They seemed like they were bought frozen and cut with onion and red pepper. The potatoes were uniform as were the onion and red pepper pieces. Cut by a food processing plant? They were very bland in taste, as if they were boiled or poured into a steamed pan to warm. Again, very sad. It was like being served canned peas. Who eats them unless they have to?

Why have a restaurant if the owners are about serving industrial or stale food? There is no passion or pride in a meal like we were served. I doubt the owners would eat what was put in front of us. I'd rather eat at home.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Palo Alto, California
“Good, friendly service, good coffee, right off 5 North”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Eggs with hash browns and toast - $7.50
Eggs with hash browns, toast and assorted breakfast meats -$7.99
A pot of coffee gets placed on your table.
Service is friendly and good.
I had the poached eggs and they were done very well.

A little smudge high for breakfast, but it was right off the 5 North highway.
Great selection of postcards - especially of Mount St.Helens.
One thing, Bible literature is everywhere...where the menus are, on the walls, and alongside the postcards.

Did not have any pies for breakfast, but they looked massive, especially the lemon meringue.

There were lots of local people this early weekday morning, so must be a favorite.

• Visited September 2013
Chehalis, Washington
“Service/Food a plus, decor...not so much”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Don't get me wrong, this place is good. It has great food and great staff, but I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the decor. To me it seems very dated. That being said, I wouldn't ultimately have that detract from the positives.

It has a gift shop (small) right as you walk in, as well as a dessert display case on either side when you go to get seated.

The food was brought out in a reasonable time and the staff was good about checking in on us to make sure we had everything we needed.

We have eaten here three times and it's been consistent each time.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Silverton, Oregon
“Reasonably priced good food, right next to the freeway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The service was quick, and the food arrived within about 20 minutes. It tasted good, but there were a few things they were out of, so I had to settle for medium-done prime rib instead of rare, which is what I wanted. The salad bar was good and fresh, however, and they had real bacon and ham as salad toppers.

• Visited August 2013
Boise
“A bit pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stopped here for a late breakfast on our trip. The menu prices were quite high. They offered a buffet for $12.99 which again is pretty high for a buffet. We went with the buffet so the kids could have what they wanted. The food was good - not great.

• Visited July 2013