“Wow! Glad we came, thankful for discount!” 4 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   20500 Old Highway 99, SW, Centralia, WA 98531   |
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Centralia
Silverton
“Wow! Glad we came, thankful for discount!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have been a Great Wolf hold-out because of the price. $270+ for a Friday or Saturday based on four people is too high for me since there are only two of us, I've long wished they offered a discount for 2 but I digress....

I got an email for 30% off, saw the price on a Sunday at $169 and booked it, hey that price is worth a vacation day for me and day off from school for my kid ;-)

We started our trip by going to Seattle on Saturday (see my trip report on Travelodge Seattle Center) and then left Seattle Sunday morning for Great Wolf!

AMAZING SERVICE.

Due to making great time, we arrived shortly after 12noon, and I knew that the policy was waterpark access at 1pm and room check in around 4pm unless ready earlier. The front desk agent was very nice, got us all checked in, gave us our wristbands and said we were welcome to use ALL amenities right away!

My son has been dying to play their MagiQuest scavenger hunt game, so he chose that over going to the waterpark first. We went to the MagiQuest shop, bought the wand ($17+tax) and we were off and running....literally. WOW what a workout this is. Up and down 5 flights of stairs multiple times to find the items based on clues (I admit we took the elevator a few times towards the end shhh don't tell). Not even 40minutes into our quest, I got the call our room was READY! Before 1pm even!!! I was pleasantly surprised and luckily was able to get my kid on board with stopping the game to go check it out.

The room was very nice, it was a room with 2 queen beds, table and chairs, sofa, tv,fridge,coffee maker (decent coffee). We could see the outside portion of the water park from our window if we looked left enough, otherwise it was a view of the back parking lot and also the woods. The beds were comfortable, water pressure decent and it held the temp.

WAter park was lots of fun, my son loved the wave pool and slides as did I. It's handy having the hot dog snack shack inside the water area so you don't have to leave if you get hungry, and it's VERY nice charging to your bracelet.

Food at the restaurants was good based on our choices: bacon burger, mushroom burger, kids chicken strips and kids mac. Breakfast buffet was typical buffet fare and made to order omellettes.

My son had a blast, I had a great time also and if another sales code like that comes out we will go again -- but I still can't bring myself to pay full price.

Room Tip: Our room number ended in 47 which is at the END of the hallways which can be a long walk after a lon...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Ellensburg, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

This place is a lot of fun for the family but couldn't imagine staying for more than 2 nights. The water park isn't big enough to entertain you more than a day or so. The room prices are over priced but thought merchandise and food was affordable. And hey adult beverages at the water park! We went during the week which was a good choice. I'd go again w the family for 2 nights

• Stayed April 2013
Salem, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I think what helps this resort to stand out is that it's plopped right down in a seemingly remote area along interstate 5 in Washington State. The scenic beauty of the area adds so much to the attraction of this place. Whether driving south from Tacoma/Seattle or north from Portland, you're going to be treated with fantastic views of the most notable Cascade volcano's along the way. There is also a factory outlet mall about 10 minutes south which will help those who feel the need to shop but don't want to drive to Olympia to do it. Olympia itself is not too far tot eh north for those wanting to get away from the lodge for a day.

That said, I'm not sure why anyone would want to leave the resort. From the large indoor water park to the fun and games of the arcade and Magiquest, there is a ton for families to do. I'm not even sure the gym is used much because of all the exercise you will get at both of the aforementioned attractions. There is also a spa, 2 restaurants, a bar, and other various food venues. The Lodge is of course themed, which ads to the ambiance. If you go in the Winter months it even snows inside the lobby and lounge/fireside area. There is also a 15 minute animatronics show 3 times a day for the little ones. The water park has enough for kids and adults to do for hours, and if your kids are old enough to be left to their own devices you can let them loose to play Magicquest or arcade for hours on end while the adults relax. If you have small children, say in the 4-8 year old range, be prepared for a rather exhausting trip as you will be with them at both the waterpark and playing magicquest. Both require a lot of walking and stair climbing.

The staff and resort as a whole are top notch really. We had no complaints about our interactions with staff. The waterpark is saturated with lifeguards so safety is never a concern, and the magicquest characters/staff are very helpful and polite despite what must be a rather stressful job. Rooms were clean and well maintained. Beds are very comfortable, but it may have just been the fact that I was worn out at the end of each day. It had been 3 years since I last visited this resort and the experience was just as good as before.

If you go at peak season or during a large event, such as national gymnastic meet, you should expect long ride lines at the waterpark. I suggest going off season if you can.

Probably the only complaint I have is that their Pizza offerings are very slim, but that's nitpicking over what was a great experience.

I'm not sure I would stay longer than 3 nights. On the third day even my 7 year old son was beginning to show signs of wear and tear. Not wanting to do things that he was enjoying the previous two days. No, he did not want to leave and go home, he just didn't know what else he wanted to do. Parents will be fairly frazzled by that 3rd day as well. You will need a vacation from your vacation on this one. But then again, if you bring along an older child, sibling, friend, etc. who can be in charge of the younger ones, the parents just might be able to relax more than we did.

Room Tip: Sanity recommendation: The resort is 8 stories high. It has 3 elevators, and magicquest is played on...
Puyallup, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Went on a weekday with the family. It's place was so much fun. Surprisingly lots of people for a Wednesday. We had the standard room for 5 of us and it was very spacious. We didn't eat here because we were told by a friend that we could bring our own food and it actually worked out. Food in the hotel was very highly priced and plus we didn't have to shower and get ready for dinner. We ate in our room and headed straight out to the pools again. I'm glad we came when we did because if it was packed I don't think we would have enjoyed it as much. We even had a room on the first floor with a balcony so we had a little picnic outside. It was a nice sunny day of course. Would come back again especially when my little one gets a little taller.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

It was a bit small in a way and not in other ways. Which doesn't help at all does it. lol Ok so it is basically missing a few things that I think would make it much more appealing - it doesn't have a lazy river. Which really, even some hotels have lazy rivers now, so that was a bit annoying. I grew up in Vegas and LIVED at the waterpark in the summers sometimes and we loved just chatting and floating down the river. Anyway, so no river. It also has 2 "hot pools" - I don't really dare call them hot tubs because there are no fabulous jets to give you a massage. Just semi-warm small pools that the kids can hang out in too. And they are against a side wall kinda away from everything. If I had designed the place I would have strategically placed them around the park so parents could chill in them while they watch their kids, instead of having to take up another little chair. So those are the negatives (well and the pizza sucked). On the plus side, there were a few fun slides, one pretty freakin amazing one (its worth it all just for that one), a good wave pool, a pool with some basketball hoops and a neat lillypad rope walk thingy (hard to describe) and tons of activities to really do if you are over the water park bit- like this magic quest game thats really for kids 8-9+ and blacklight mini golf. Plus a pretty big arcade. The park itself was open until 9, but we left around 7:30 to do dinner and didn't come back till after we moved stuff out of the room this morning. We did around 5 hours yesterday and 4 hours today, and it was enough, even with some lines and being pretty busy. All in all its fun, but not a full day thing both days unless you love to spend hours in the wave pool or just sit there and read. Given a lazy river and a few real good hot tubs I could have stayed easily another hour or two each day.

As far as our room, I'll have to write the hotel. The iron artwork on the wall banged EVERY time someone closed a door - which means we were waken all night long by what sounded like symbols from a band. It was horrible and we were all woken constantly. But I wasn't going to change rooms at midnight with a sleeping kid.

Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I took my 9 year old son, we are both gluten and dairy free and they had lots of options for us in the dinning hall. It was more expensive then the regular menu, but quite comparable eating out anywhere else. He loved his time there and wants to go back. I would upgrade to the cabin room again. You don't need to bring towels, they are provided. The quest does require a lot of walking/running around including stairs. I would say age 11 and below, older will not like it as much.

Wenatchee, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We visited Great Wolf Lodge with our son and daughter-in-law, grandson, 5 years old, and granddaughter who was 7 months. We shared one of the rooms that had a separate king bed in a room with a door. Some things we thought could be improved were - a mirror in the room with the king bed. More seating in the main room. More places to hang up wet towels and swimsuits. We were a little disappointed in the number of slides. It's too bad there weren't more as there were long lines for any of the slides.

We never ate in the lodge, but found great places nearby. We had hamburgers one evening at the Burger Claim restaurant that is right in the same parking lot as the lodge. This was a wonderful place to eat. Food was good and hot and delicious. Also, we had pizza from the pizza place just down the road. I think it was called Figuaro Pizza - something like that. It was pretty good.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor looking out towards the waterpark. Room was quiet until morning when we co...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!