“Great but costly” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Centralia
Seattle, Washington
“Great but costly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

The kid cabin suite was awesome. Request the first floor and you will have wonderfully high ceilings. Fun for kids but can get pricey with the games and add-ons. Room was clean, pool was clean. There are food options south on I-5 so that you don't have to eat every meal here.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had 2 adults and a 5 year old staying in a Kid Camp suite for two nights. The suite itself was great, no complaints there (except the adult beds were too soft for our taste). The water park and other entertainment was fun for everyone. So it looks like a great place. What did not work for us was that they advertise themselves as a family "resort" and the prices they charge are high enough we expected the range of services and facilities of a full service resort, however, they were either lacking or non-existent. Specific examples are that parents are expected to mind their kids 24-hours a day, there are no child minding services and no organized events that you can drop your child off at. Another example is the dining options; primarily these are limited to a bar & grill and the main restaurant which is set up for buffet ... the menu for both is almost identical so it wasn't clear to us why they even bothered separating them into two different facilities. There there is no room service, no fine dining options and no better restaraunts off-site in the local area. So if you are happy with that situation for the price then you will probably have a great time. However, for us we would only consider returning if there was a groupon or other similar promotion where we could stay for a single night at a more appropriate price and focus just on enjoying the water park ... for multi-day trips we will be going to more fully featured resorts in future.

Room Tip: Kid Camp rooms offer kids a separate room (no door) and their own TV with game controller.
Kamiah, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I wanted a fun trip to take my family on during November, but I faced a few difficulties. First off, we only had a couple of nights for our trip and couldn't travel too far from home. Secondly, November in Western Washington is right in the middle of it's Fall Rainy Season and is notoriously cold and wet. Thirdly, my children's ages ranged from mid-20's to preteen. I saw the ad for the Great Wolf Lodge in Centralia and knew that is where we should go...and we were not disapointed! The rooms were very clean, comfortable and beautifully decorated. There was a nice roomy fridge to hold our refreshments, plenty of coffee for our morning coffee addiction and though the hotel was very busy, the rooms were incredibly quiet and private. The water park was much larger than I imagined and with such variety that all of my kids (adults to preteens) had a blast! When I got tired of playing, I was able to go to one of the many restaurants, got myself something to sip on and a snack and could enjoy watching the family from one of many seating areas right next to the water park. There were so many interesting stores, play areas and activities, that there was no way ANYONE could get bored. The staff was very helpful and upbeat and we had a memorable time!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Check in at 1PM, did not get a room 'til 4PM (after the 4th complains). For some extra money, they'll let you check out at 4PM, this creates waiting for check in, but not inconvenience for them. The sink clogged up in the room. In the wave pool, we found a bloody bandage. In Restroom shower, the drain clogged up as in the room, which smell like urine and feel like slime, we have to take shower back in the room.
This used to be a decent place, but for profit the management trimmed down the staff, that let to terrible services. Heck we are there 4,5 times per year, NOT ANYMORE!!

Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

First of all maybe it was a mistake to go during spring break, but when we booked I wasn't thinking. So upon checking in at 3:45 we were told the room wasn't ready yet, no problem because they contacted us less than five minutes later to tell us the room was ready. Yes, they were prompt but upon going to our room it had looked clean right up until we closed the bathroom door. Hey, if u stayed in room 6008 before April 4th we got your underwear.They were hanging on the door. Haha! We sort of tried to ignore that until we laid down on the bed only to notice you also left your pizza under the nightstand. maybe the cleaning crew thought we wanted a snack for later. The pools seemed clean, but the lines were way too long and I am pretty sure the hotel was booked solid. I wasn't real impressed, I am a firm believer in getting what you pay for but this wasn't what I paid for by any means. We have stayed at the Disneyland resorts 7 of the last 8 years and they are also expensive and a better deal for you money. I may go back, I went back to Disneyland hotel after reviewing it less than good and was very pleased. Who knows.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and our 3 and 5 year old boys in a Wolf Den suite. The bunk beds in the room are the length of regular beds, but they are narrow and probably the same width as a toddler bed. Still, the kids loved the novelty of the Wolf Den. The queen bed was comfortable, and the pull out not bad. I liked that the wristband can be used for resort credit as well as a room key, so no need to carry money or key cards. Having said that, my husband's didn't work for credit when he tried it; mine worked fine.

Be prepared to spend money here. I see reviews of people complaining about the cost of everything, but it's right here in the reviews - you WILL spend money here. We bought the MagiQuest wands for the kids, but didn't pay for the game since they're so young. They had fun just pointing the wand at things and seeing them come to life. We stayed two nights and probably could have stayed three. We (the grown ups) were exhausted way before the kids each night. It was kind of "go go go" to fit everything in - water park, glow golf, arcade, story time, wolf walk. Story time was cute, but you don't really need to do it each night. We did it once.

The water park was fantastic. Big enough, but small enough that we could manage with little ones. The only thing that would make it better is a chair lift or escalator to the top slides! We went Monday to Wednesday and it wasn't that crowded. It was a little more crowded on the Monday than the other days, but it was the Family Day holiday for BC.

We added the breakfast buffet when we booked. Of note, kids 3 and under are free at the breakfast buffet, so maybe do the math before you commit to the buffet at booking time because it doesn't take age into consideration. I think it was $13.99 for adults, $7.99 for kids, but when you book ahead it includes beverages; not if you pay at the restaurant.

We ordered a pizza from Hungry as a Wolf, and it was actually the best value there. A large pizza with two toppings was $14.39. The Burger Claim restaurant at the other end of the parking lot is very good. You can phone ahead and pick up. They are very friendly, and the food and prices are great.

We will definitely be back. Our kids asked if we could live there. Next time I will try to get away with booking a regular room rather than a Wolf Den or other kid suite, but the kids might convince us otherwise. We're hoping to return with friends and book one of the larger suites.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Halfmoon Bay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Good, bad and meh ... depends which member of the family you talk to.

We head down from the north on Easter weekend to spend a night here. After doing a fair bit of research and talking to friends who've stayed there before, I felt prepared to be overcrowded and underwhelmed. And I was right. Like the previous reviewer below, I likened it to a cruise .. on spring break with less drunks, more kids and no serenity deck.

We arrived at 1 but our room wasn't ready until after 5 which we expected so we hit the waterpark. The locker fee was ridiculous - $20 upfront for the day and $10 back if you return your key half an hour prior to closing. We didn't really have a choice prior to getting a room though. The change rooms are small and crowded, especially considering the number of people they jam into the place. Three showers with barely any privacy and one bench in the ladies room. The waterpark itself was awesome. My 6 and 8 year old kids seemed to be at the exact right age to enjoy all it had to offer, even the big slides. I would imagine older kids might get a little bored eventually as the thrills seemed to lessen after each trip down the slides but there's plenty else to keep the little one amused and wear them out.

Oh wait, they won't wear out until WELL after you want to pass out in your room.

We finally got our room, the standard (aka cheapest room) 'standard' being the operative word. Nothing worth raving about but it was a comfy clean room away from the masses (except the noisy kids running down the halls into the wee hours). Not a lot of value for money even considering the cost of the water park entrance is included.

After hearing stories of the unexciting buffet and grill, we opted to eat in Centralia or in our room except for dinner at the grill, which again was okay but not amazing ... and kind of expensive. This mama thoroughly enjoyed her cocktail though.

We had borrowed friend's wands for Magiquest, we just had to pay a minimal fee to re-set the wands (and pretend to be said friends). It worked and the kids had loads of fun on their quests and adventures. They soon realized that I was hindering their Magiquest success with my lack of game logic and fired me so I retired to my room for an early night while their dad carried on with them until about 10/11pm.

The next morning we woke early and dined in our room then loaded up the car. They had some Easter bunny action in the lobby but we hit the water-park right at opening in hopes of shorter lines. After lunch at the nearby burger shack, we spent most of the afternoon playing Magiquest again. Well the kids and their dad did. I drove south and found the outlets, then checked out the in-house spa which is an Aveda spa (which I love) but hadn't booked an appointment and they were booked solid all day. I spent some of the afternoon on the couch in the lobby people watching (WHY do people still dance to the Macarena and WHY do people leave their toddlers unattended???).

After dinner, we were all Great Wolf Lodged out so we head for Seattle where we had another enjoyable (cheaper) evening.

Overall, I'm glad we went .. the kids had an amazing time and have no complaints. Would I go again? Only if I could catch an amazing promo deal on the cost cuz to me it really wasn't the best value for $.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!