“Good two night kids holiday” 4 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   20500 Old Highway 99, SW, Centralia, WA 98531   |
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Centralia
Surrey, Canada
“Good two night kids holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Overall we had a good experience. We spent two nights here and find that was more than enough time. We were ready to go home on the final day. We had the wolfs den room and it was nice. The kids had their own space and loved the bunkbeds. The restaurant was very very slow in service!! We had to go find a server after waiting for some time. We did bring a cooler of fruits, yogurts, milk etc for the kids as we found that Starbucks and the restaurant were not the best for what we like for breakfast. I would even recommend bringing a couple of bowls and microwaving some oatmeal for breakfast. The line-ups for the slides were less at 9:00am when the pool opened. Busiest time was 10:00-4:00. Still not bad overall. It seemed that kids were more into Magicquest. Our kids did it too and it was a lot of walking. Our nine year old was fine but our 6 year old found it difficult to do the stairs again and again. The Centralia shopping outlet stores were a nice little break for a couple of hours and we could eat something else. Overall I would recommend but never more than two nights!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

What can I say? Our kids love this place, so we came back this year for another 2 night stay. We managed to get a room for under $300 a night incl. taxes and fees, which is such a bargain when you consider what it costs last minute - esp. for a themed room like we got (Kid Kamp).

This time, we got a room with a balcony and it was a real treat! We got a room on the first floor (far enough away from the noise and close enough to only be about 50 paces from Starbucks - ahhhhhh!) and it was a nice surprise! The first floor rooms have vaulted ceilings. You'd think this would be a noise issue, but it totally wasn't. It just felt more spacious! The kids loved that they could stand up on the top bunk!

FINALLY GWL is starting to upgrade the TVs in the rooms - we had a flat screen! Hallelujah! It wasn't a huge deal, but it just shows me that they are putting effort into upgrading and listening to what guests are saying. And let's face it, they should be embarrassed to still even have tube TVs in a room that charges the prices they do!

The beds are still the old, sinky mattresses. And the pull out beds have the most cheap, thin, springy mattresses, as well. They need to improve this. That is my only big complaint about the rooms.

We had a lovely patio. We didn't really use it much (it was cold), but I could see it being great for smokers, or those who like to sit outside and get some fresh air.

During our stay, we had a power outage our first night (Sunday, March 17). The outage started at about 5pm - just as we were about to get ready for dinner - then planning to swim afterwards. Thankfully it was still light outside, so we were able to hang in our room and occupy ourselves (wifi was still working!). EVERYTHING shut down - so there was nothing to do but hang in your room or leave (door entry and safes still worked and the lodge was on emergency power, so check in still ran smoothly).

GWL really stepped up to the plate: they started to hand out treats in the first 1/2 hour. Then they brought out a couple buffets of cheese, fruit and crackers to feed guests, since the power outage occurred during the dinner hour. We were just about to head out to Centralia to eat at about 7pm, and then magically the power came back on! We ordered out from their restaurant (they had a modified menu of burgers and sides) and we ate in our room. Then it was too late to slide, so we had to wait till the next day.

The water park was REALLY dead the next day (at 1pm). Surprising! It was a Monday...but it was also spring break. Not sure what to make of that, but we had fun in the spacious wave pool and with short lines on the slides.

Both kids played magiquest. It was fun as usual, but it's quite the gong show. I think it's really the busy, main event at this place now. The water park almost seems to be taking a back seat to this. At least when it comes to space vs. people participating.

The food was pretty good this time around. Not sure if we were lucky or if it is improving, but we were impressed and happy with our meals. Of course, I loved having Starbucks steps away from me in the lobby area!

There have been A LOT of changes at this GWL since last year:

1. Cub Club is being phased out. It's been greatly downsized and its current location is by the fireplace in the lobby area (by the waterslide window) and all the kids can do is color and play games (no more tie die shirts or making lotions/bubble bath). My daughter was really disappointed.

2. Glow Golf is in the spot where Cub Club used to be. It was a fun activity to do once. It's just golf in the dark with glow in the dark balls and course. You get clubs and balls from the arcade.

3. The day we arrived they introduced the Great Forest Challenge. We tried it on day two. At $8 per person a pop, it was quite pricey, but the kids loved it. I think they even wanted to do it again. It was basically an interactive game in 4 different rooms where you do different activities to earn stars as a team (no individual scoring - so best to do as a family). It is forest/animal themed. It still had some glitches, and I thought should have been discounted for the first week or two, but it was only discounted on day one, which we missed because of the power outage.

4. G8 Space (or whatever it was called - the gaming area for teens) has been shut down and the Great Forest Challenge is in it's place. I heard that it wasn't making any money, so that's why they shut it down. I am sure that's why cub club is being phased out, too. The new activities taking up both these spaces does not require staff to operate - therefore cheaper, right?

5. The arcade has implemented a 'card' system wherein you load a card with tokens and then swipe the card when you want to play a game and then it deducts the tokens from the card. When you earn tickets, you swipe the card to record the number of tickets you have when you redeem them at the automated booths. Then your card is scanned and the number of tickets you have is displayed on a big screen at the gift redemption counter. We dropped $70 at this place and walked away with the usual crap. But we all had a bunch of fun, so walking away with anything was really just a bonus! The arcade is also brighter - with florescent lighting...I remember it being more dark last time. The games were better, too. Really enjoyed most of them.

When I checked out, I made sure to mention that we were inconvenienced by the power outage on our first night, and they took 10% off room charges for both nights (that saved me $55 - nice!).

All in all, another great trip. When I asked my daughter if she wanted to come back next year, she answered, "Why wouldn't I?". Nuff said! She also cried on the drive back home! Guess we'll be back next year!

Room Tip: Try a patio/balcony room. You can request a first floor room with vaulted ceilings. We loved ours.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Lynnwood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

What a great place for good family fun. We have been to Great Wolf twice now and both times have been great. Yes the price is high but totally worth it, keep in mind you get a hotel for the night and two full days in the water park as you can check in early for no extra charge and your last day you can enjoy the park the whole day you just have to leave your room.. We stayed in the kids suite my boys love the bunk beds and that they get there own TV, which is also great for the parents and we are not stuck watching Nickelodeon all night! We ordered the pizza which is good value for the price, we have found that the sit down restaurant was out of our budget for the dinning options offered. The park offers great options for kids off all ages, I have a 2 year old and a 7 year we also take our teenage nephews with us and everyone has a great time. We also enjoy the arcade and the wand thing I forget what it is called:) The only draw back is that story time can get packed early and there are often no seats. Also there are a lot of kids to don't expect if to be quiet.

Room Tip: If you want Starbucks in the morning go early they get very busy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Ladysmith, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great Wolf lodge was a nice little getaway...Our kids are 13 and 10 and seemed to enjoy themselves.We also, went with two other families which made it nice so,the kids basically did there own thing!Not sure if I would take my kids at this age by ourselves they might get bored or if I did I would make it just a day trip.Two nights is plenty! We got our rooms when they had a 20% off deal so, it was $159 a night (this includes the waterpark) would not go if it was more expensive( because I like deals) this does not include the arcade,mini golf and magic quest(which I think is fun for the little ones but, the price is not ...I think I remember it came to like $36 for the wand you need and to play it) keep in mind it does keep the kids entertained though.You can order pizza or eat at one of the restaurants or there are a few down the road.Really good Mexican (can't remember name..but, turn right out of Great Wolf and it's on your left 2 mins down) Waterpark is fun waterslides are a blast! Very friendly staff! We decided against charging everything to our room just because it was that easy to do but, there is that option.Overall nice little family adventure!

Room Tip: Some of the Magic Quest stuff is close to some rooms and they can be loud until 10:00pm might not be...
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I agree with the reviewer that compares GWL to a Vegas experience for kids. The water park is fantastic, the Magic Quest game is fabulous.

Yes - it is very pricey. We brought a cooler and loaded up the fridge and ate breakfast & lunch in our room, then had dinners in one of the restaurants.

Overall - I highly recommend it and we'll be going back.

Room Tip: Bring your own breakfast, drinks etc to avoid the high food prices in the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had been warned that GWL could get expensive, and had prepared for that. The water park itself was fabulous, but that's where the fun began and ended. My son's bed sheet had a bloodstain on it. It took three calls to the front desk to get some clean towels. I can't remember a time where I've seen so many ill mannered children in the same place at once. The very worst part came when we got home and tried to withdraw money from our ATM. It seems $350 per night for our two night stay wasn't enough, so we were charged twice. After frantically calling GWL, I was told it had happened to some other guests as well and we could expect a refund within 24 hours. Two days later we were finally refunded the double charge, but they had no interest in paying the overdraft fees that were a result of their error. We were not even given an apology or an offer for a discount on our next trip. I'd like to say we'd go back, but I doubt it. Once was enough for us, and we were left with a bad taste. If you feel the need to go, make sure to use a prepaid credit card, so you won't have to spend the days following your vacation sorting out a frustrating mess.

Room Tip: Chose a room far, far away from the staircases!
Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We loved Great Wolf Lodge although I can honestly say we wouldn't pay more than $150.00 per night. We stayed during a promo code time. If we were to stay there in 2 weeks it would have cost us $ 759.00 for 2 nights... That is over the top! The staff were friendly, the rooms were clean. We paid $70.00 for the bear paw pass and I have to say, it is a rip off!! We can't say enough that we had an amazing time but you should go at a promo code time.. Check their website often and you will find some deals to be had!! We will return ( at a discounted) time!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!