“Don't let the outside appearance deter you from staying here!” 4 of 5 stars

Timberland Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1271 Mt. Saint Helens Way, Castle Rock, WA 98611   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Castle Rock
Los Angeles, California
“Don't let the outside appearance deter you from staying here!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

My best friend and I were traveling between Seattle and Portland with our teenage sons and needed a place to stay overnight. My friend had made our reservation based on TripAdvisor reviews. Well, when we drove up to the hotel my jaw dropped b/c it looked so shabby. But to my surprise our rooms were super clean with plenty of space. The beds were very comfy, great pillows. The Innkeepers were very kind. Don't let the outside appearance chase you away. You will have a great night sleep. Very quiet. Be sure to eat at the 49'ner diner just up the road. Great food at a great price.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

Older style with outside doors and very well kept. Building and grounds are in better shape than most of the newer inside corridor chain hotels. Plenty of room inside with two queen beds and fridge. I think we paid around the $80 dollar range. For that price a bit more of a "breakfast" would have been nice, there were only some packaged pastries with coffee. That's something I would expect at a $50 dollar motel. But it was clean and I was still quoted a lower cost there than the Mt St Helen's motel across the street.
The El Compadre restaurant next door has excellent mexican food and was a real treat. I'll stay here again if I'm ever in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Missoula, Montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

My husband and I booked this motel for a friend's wedding. We travled from Montana, and arrived around midnight. Upon opening the door of the room we were greeted with the most awful smell. We immediately opened the door and window and turned on the a/c to try to ventilate the room. My husband yanked the covers back and it was obvious that the bedding had not been changed! Disgusted we gathered our belongings and put them back into our truck. The manager credited us back for 2 of the 3 nights, but refused to reimbuse the 3rd night. He offered us another room, but we were so upset and disgusted that the thought of taking the time to look at one more room and waste our time looking at the same thing was not an option. He said the booking agency we used online prevented him from reimbursing us our 3rd night fee. We called the booking agency; were told that this was not the case and that the motel alone has the authority to give us back our money. We then went back the next morning to discuss this with the staff, and once more got no place with them. I just got off the phone with the mangager who refused to give me the owner's name and contact information. I will tell everyone I know to never stay at this place!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Castle Rock hotels

Oregon City, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

My son and I stayed here for one night before our hike at St. Helens. A bit overpriced. If you are 65 or older, make sure you ask for the senior citizen rate as the difference is significant. Even so, overpriced for this hotel that is a bit 70's-ish. The sheets on the bed didn't seem fresh. The small refrigerator had to be unplugged because of a constant squeel sound. Reasonably quiet, even though it was close to the highway. Owners are apparently from India as half the stations are satellite feeds from India. If you like cricket (booooring), India soap operas (really bad acting), or India rap videos (quite funny), your good. A very big complaint is that they allow smoking in selected rooms, but the smoke drifts down the corridors into the other rooms when the smokers leave their windows open, as they did. We could not leave the door or window open. I'm a bit surprised that the state of Washington still allows smoking rooms in hotels. Also, the "breakfast" was a joke. Sickly looking pasteries in cellophone wrappers, toast and butter, and coffee. We stayed with the coffee only.

• Stayed June 2010
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

My family and I stayed here one night in July while visiting Mt. St. Helens. I had read the reviews prior to our trip and wasn't sure what to expect. What a nice suprise! The rooms and building were in great condition and very clean. It's set off the road so it's quiet and we didn't hear a peep from anyone or anything during our stay. The rooms are nice sized and met our needs. If you're expecting the Marriott, you're going to be disappointed. It's your standard roadside motel. However, if you're looking for a place that is clean with comfy beds, you won't be disappointed. We paid $99 for the room which is the going rate I suppose. There aren't too many hotels in the area. They also have their own laundry facility which is a nice feature. There is a food store just down the street as well should you need to pick up some items. I would stay here again.

NOTE: Make sure you drive to Johnson Visitor Center right beside Mt. St. Helens. The view of the mountain is amazing! It takes a little less then an hour to reach it (55 miles from the hotel, but the road is good.). You can view outside for free, but there is a charge to go into the visitor center/see the movie. I think it's something like $7 for adults (kids are free). If you have a national park pass, it's free. There are other visitor centers along the road, some are free and others are not, but Johnson has the best view of MSH.

Should you require/want a more upscale hotel, there is a Red Lion Hotel one exit south of Castle Rock (exit #48).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Fort Collins
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

If you like retro 1950's style with pastel colors and pictures of pink Flamingos on the wall then this is the place for you. I stayed there last month but forgot my shaving kit when checking out. Arrived back in Anacortes (200 miles north) that evening and realized what I had done. It was getting late so I called the next morning to check on their lost and found. Told them that there was a couple of heart medicines in the bag along with Insulin and other meds but was told that the lost and found was in the housekeeping section and it would be a while for them to check. When I called back later they said they had no trace of my bag. Apparently they either didn't bother to check or the housekeeping personnel just tossed it. I suppose this is just an indication of their regard for their customers. It costs me considerable expense and time to replace the medicine that I needed to have, since I live in Colorado.

• Liked — The room was clean
  • Disliked — Management attitude and a little high priced
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
long beach,ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

I figure you get what you pay for and this place was under $80. The place was clean and the staff was helpful, but the bathroom light would not work, so they had us change rooms. The rooms had little amenities, except an ice box and hair dryer. We did enjoy picking the blackberries in the back parking lot, which we needed because the breakfast consisted of hot drink, juice and small sweet roll. So the place was not bad for one night.

• Liked — It was close to Mt. St. Helens, which we wanted to see.
  • Disliked — The breakfast.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Timberland Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!