“Great food. Great experienc.” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Bistro
Des Moines, Washington
“Great food. Great experienc.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I went to dinner here with a few girlfriends on a girl's weekend away. Camano Island has limited choices but we wanted to stay "on island" so gave the Bistro a try. There is also a small Inn and spa at the same location. The restaurant is small and intimate. We had reservations which was probably a good thing as it got pretty busy after we had been there a little while. All of us enjoyed our dinners, but I think the scallops was the big hit, as far as I'm concerned. Scallops are so hard to do right because they are either way over-done or sometimes almost raw. Mine were absolutely perfect. I am not a wine or beer person, but had a nice split of prosecco with my dinner.

The service from beginning to end was friendly, informative and efficient. If I am ever back on the island and the opportunity comes up I would definitely come back.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Susan H, General Manager at Camano Island Waterfront Bistro, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review...we love it when girlfriends come to visit they have the best time catching up and enjoying the spa facilities! I love the scallops as well, yes they are hard to get right especially if you are a scallop connoisseur like yourself :)

We appreciate that you mentioned our staff it is very important that our they be friendly, informative and efficient...so happy your were pleased and we look forward to your return!

It is especially beautiful on the Island right now, so we hope to see you again soon!

Thanks again and I hope you are having a lovely Summer!

Susan

“Thank you for taking care of us”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

I stayed there about a year ago for a couple nights through a groupon deal. Beautiful location... and wonderful hosts. However, on the last night someone knocked on our door to let us know there would be a water shut off for just five minutes. Well the hot water was never turned back on for the rest of the night. Since we had been in the hot tub, it was no longer warm and we wanted to shower off but not in freezing cold water. So they let us use a shower in a different room. It wasn't that big of a deal to shower in a different room but it was disappointing to not have our own private hot tub anymore. The staff seemed to feel bad about it and at the end of our stay offered to give us one free night anytime Monday-thursday. Which was very nice. I redeemed this offer not long ago and was sincerely pleased. We had a great time and the staff was really nice. Thank you

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Susan H, General Manager at Camano Island Waterfront Bistro, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thank you for your review...last year we had some water heater issues which have since been resolved...thankfully!

We do apologize for this mishap...like a home thing such as these can unfortunately happen without warning...we were happy there was another room upstairs on a different water heater that was unoccupied which could be used...even though it wasn't the same.

Thank you for returning and allowing us to redeem ourselves, as we felt horrible about this and wanted you to be able to experience a lovely evening with us, and it was a pleasure having you come back! It thrills us that you have a great time and our staff of course is always happy to get good feedback as they work hard to make each guest feel special.

We hope that you both return to visit us again soon!

Have a wonderful Summer and stay well,

lynden
“Very pleasant,small but packed with flavor.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

The bistro provided breakfast at the B&B.It was most pleasant to choose from their menu instead of a plain continental breakfast. Lunch and dinner menus were flavorful and well designed. Very courteous and attentive staff.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Susan H, General Manager at Camano Island Waterfront Bistro, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Peggy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review...we appreciate any and all feedback!

We love that our guest get choices...for us it must be special and we are happy that you enjoyed the choices. Our staff was over the moon excited for your comments so, again thank you!

Have a very lovely Summer and we hope to see you again!

Camano Island, Washington
“Disappointment on Saratoga Passage”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We put my sister and her husband up here about 15 years ago, the rooms were charming and they accommodated a kosher breakfast for my brother-in-law. The charms of the rooms were accentuated by a nice view of Saratoga Passage with the potential for whales swimming by. We had not been there since.

A good friend where we live now on Camano Island spoke very highly of the restaurant, so my wife and I decided to give it a try on a Friday evening with a potential for a view of the sunset over Saratoga Passage. I called, but was diverted to an answering device that invited me to leave a message with a call back number and they would return the call - I did, with a message of time and number of diners. No return call came. We decided to go anyway hoping to not miss the sunset.

When we arrived, the hostess claimed that no messages had been received, but they could seat us anyway - there was no one seated in the dining area which has a very nice river rock fireplace and a 6-foot wide sliding glass door to a deck with access to a view of the Passage that you can see if you look carefully at the banner picture on their web homepage. We were seated in the corner by the fireplace as the "window" seating was reserved - it did not matter much as there was a very limited view outside anyway.

The menu looked very inviting, including one of our favorite appetizers, crab cakes ($14), which we ordered with a glass of Pinot Grigio ($8) for my wife and an IPA ($4/bottle) for me, both of which were quite tasty. The crab cakes came - three (we only expected two) in a very nice presentation. Service was relatively quick. They were so highly spiced that the delicate flavor of crab was entirely masked - my wife could not finish hers. Later, during my entree, the spice gave me hiccups and GERDS to the point I had to pause my dining (during which my food got cold) until it passed.

The hostess came by to acknowledge our message had been found - that was nice of her.

Then, we ordered soup and entrees. They have signature seafood chowder ($8) that turned out to be excellent. My wife started to order the Chicken Tikka Masala ($20), but the server cautioned that the dish was highly spiced in an East Indian manner consistent with the owners’ cuisine preferences. She chose the Salmon ($27) and I the Coquilles St. Jacques ($26), both of which were excellent, but came with spicy vegetables and a rice pilaf laced with tarragon. Dessert was a chocolate layer cake (ladies must have their chocolate) in a nice presentation, but was very ordinary in taste.

While we were dining, the room filled with guests, mostly couples, who all seemed to have a good time and enjoyed the noticeably quiet atmosphere. Absent the impressive fireplace, the dining room atmosphere is cool and sterile with nice, small paintings on the walls. The large wooden bar in the foyer seemed to attract no one while we were there. Our VISA was readily accepted for the $140 bill, including tip (20%) - a tad "spendy" as they say locally.

All in all, with due respect to our good friend, it is not a diner place that we are likely to return to as the cuisine did not "leave [my] palette dancing" as advertised only burned out and exhausted. They are alleged to have a nice brunch - we will save that to another day, perhaps in the warmth of summer when outdoor dining may be an option to give us access to the lovely views.and excitement of passing whales.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Camano Island, WA
“So Disappointed! Food was NOT good. Service not good. Won't go Back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

We wanted to take my elderly mother in law out for a special dinner. She had been very sick and we wanted to something special. My husband, myself, our daughter and my two granddaughters decided to give this place a try as it was close to my mother in laws home. The minute we walked in I felt like we were looked down on because we brought our granddaughters. These girls are 4 and 6 and the best behaved little ones I have ever the pleasure to be around. They are quiet and polite and there was no reason for the attitude we were given. We were seated immediately seated in a separate dining area from the rest of the guests and the evening went downhill from there. The food was very slow to arrive and most of it was literally not edible. The pasta was the only thing anyone could eat, and the rest of us went hungry. There was an elderly gentleman in a chefs suit, covered in sweat that kept walking through the dining area to go outside. It was a little unnerving to think this man was cooking our food as he looked sickly.
The final disappointment of the night was the pie. My mother in law was so excited to see that they had pecan pie on the menu, only to get a piece of pie that she literally couldn't cut the crust of. She asked me to do it, but I couldn't do it either. We had to break it apart with the tines of a fork. It was just shy of rock hard. Needless to say, it was also not edible. This awful meal cost us nearly $200, and most of us left hungry. We will not be back. So disappointed!

• Visited September 2013