“Beyond amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Birch Bay Get Away

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Blaine
Birch Bay Get Away
8124 Birch Bay Dr., Blaine, WA 98230   |
“Beyond amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

My family and I wanted to rent a place in BIrchbay for a few days this summer but everything I found online was WAY over our budget.... That was until I contacted Dave. I sent him an email and he called me back within min. Not only was there a open spot but the price was reasonable and we could bring our dog!! When we arrived it took us a min to figure out the layout and where we needed to go, but ken the propery manager was there to point us in the right direction. We were extremely happy with our accommodations as were our two kids. The grounds were very engelic and both Dave And ken were always around and available if we needed anything. The propery had two bbqs in a common area as well as a Fire pit. Our family loved our time there and even extended our stay by three days. We will absolutely stay here again and again :-)
Krysta and Dave

• Stayed August 2013
MonsieurCapt-B, Manager at Birch Bay Get Away, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Krysta,

Thank You so much for the positive review! We strive to make our accommodations
family friendly and really appreciate it when nice folks like you visit ! We also make it our goal to provide cost effective vacation solutions as we recognize you work hard for your vacation dollar .Call me anytime and will do everything to give you the best possible accommodation at the lowest price.

Thanks Again!

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We checked out after only one night due to the unsanitary and unsafe conditions.

- dirty
- bad odour
- black mould around windows
- old dirty stained ripped furniture like ones you would find at the side of the road
- outlet coming out of walls when unplugging items
- toilet plugged after each use
- cold shower after one minute in the shower
- spiders on bedding
- broken blinds
- broken kitchen faucet
etc etc etc

Poor customer service still charged us for two nights.

overall feel of the accommodations was disgusting. do not stay here, the pictures are deceiving.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We arrived on sat June 29, and were told that someone was occupying the sandalwood cottage!! This was surprising since I booked it months ago!!! We were given the ocean view suite and $100 credit which was good. The suite was pretty bad. It smelled musty, there were syains on the furniture and the suite was in need of some major Reno. It was dirty too. To top it all off no air conditioning, and my son went to look for one of his toys under his bed, and found an old shoe (definately not any of ours!!). The hotel manager appeared drunk on a few occasions!!! He was slurring his speech when we checked out on July 5,the decor was very old and tacky.

The ocean view was the only good thing about this place. I would not stay there again and would opt for another spot. The cottages might be much nicer. Sadly, we were not given the opportunity to find out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We happened upon this property while taking a day trip. They had a cabin available that they gave us for a good price. Once we saw it we fell in love with it and decided to stay. The grounds are very private and eclectic with all sorts of statues and sculptures popping out everywhere. Lush greenery and flowers grow lush and abundant. It was very interesting and very artsy feeling. We also had brunch at their restaurant. The food was outstanding and again the decor was very eclectic. The staff was super friendly and personable and very interesting to talk to. If you find yourself in Birch Bay I would highly recommend this place. I personally wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else. It was a true hidden oasis and I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask to see it first as they are all very different. I loved the privacy of room #6 where we stayed
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Overall, our experience was OK
I can only speak to the specific property we were at: the Loons Commons Oceanview Suite

Highlights:
- the property is located across the road from the shoreline
- There is a shared verandah that has a view of the ocean. The living room window opens into this verandah, providing the same view
- Spacious accommodation for our nightly price of $124+$15 for dog plus taxes. Better location and more space than Super 8, for not that much more
- Beds are good. Both bed linen and towels were clean.
- Hosts were efficient and there were no issues with our stay

Lowlights:
- Everything is old and grimy. The carpet has stains, floors are sticky on your feet. When I went to sit on the chair in the verandah, I had to first clean it. It was laden with dog hair, and I don't mean a few hair. Isn't this what the charges for dog are for? While it was a nice verandah, it was not possible to use because the chairs were not usable
- appliances, furnishings are old
- Surroundings are uninspiring. There is a restaurant below this oceanview suite, the neighborhood is run-down

In the net, I was not disappointed (except that cleanliness would have been appreciated). The really good thing was that neither on the site, nor otherwise, there was ever any pretense of this being anything other than what the place offered. So, given the expectations, I feel OK about the stay (except the cleanliness part left a bit to the desired, hence the 2 stars)

This isn't a destination for a great vacation or getaway, despite the name. But it is definitely an alternative to consider vs paying almost the same amount at a Super 8: basically, you will trade cleanliness/ambience for location for just a little bit higher price.

Birch bay did not strike me a great holiday destination overall. The town as a whole feels run-down. Probably saw its hey day in 1970s.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend Loons Common if you can afford more, but can't speak to the rest of the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MonsieurCapt-B, General Manager at Birch Bay Get Away, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
We are very sorry that our accommodation or Birch Bay was not to your standards, housekeeping and maintenance have been notified and the accommodation has been improved. Whatcom County has 10 million scheduled pedestrian &,bicycle path improvements and plans to bury utilities lines.We sincerely appreciate your feedback !
Hesperia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here with a friend for a girls get away in the Loons Commons. The view was gorgeous and it had all the comforts you could ask for. The staff was very helpful when we needed anything and I can't wait to go back! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone. Thank you for the wonderful trip and I will be back soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
We are very happy that you had a wonderful girls weekend, and that you made this a road trip from CA. We hope to see you again soon so we may have the pleasure of being your host again!
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

On a last minute whim our family escaped to the Birchwood Cottage,let me tell you this place is fantastic! Visiting the Getaway is always like going back in time to the to when mom & dad took us to Birch Bay in the summer,these are some of my fondest memories as a child. The cottage always has that cozy feel, we'll taken care of and the staff very attentive. We really LOVE this place!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Birch Bay Get Away? Share your experiences!