Overall, our experience was OK
I can only speak to the specific property we were at: the Loons Commons Oceanview Suite
- the property is located across the road from the shoreline
- There is a shared verandah that has a view of the ocean. The living room window opens into this verandah, providing the same view
- Spacious accommodation for our nightly price of $124+$15 for dog plus taxes. Better location and more space than Super 8, for not that much more
- Beds are good. Both bed linen and towels were clean.
- Hosts were efficient and there were no issues with our stay
- Everything is old and grimy. The carpet has stains, floors are sticky on your feet. When I went to sit on the chair in the verandah, I had to first clean it. It was laden with dog hair, and I don't mean a few hair. Isn't this what the charges for dog are for? While it was a nice verandah, it was not possible to use because the chairs were not usable
- appliances, furnishings are old
- Surroundings are uninspiring. There is a restaurant below this oceanview suite, the neighborhood is run-down
In the net, I was not disappointed (except that cleanliness would have been appreciated). The really good thing was that neither on the site, nor otherwise, there was ever any pretense of this being anything other than what the place offered. So, given the expectations, I feel OK about the stay (except the cleanliness part left a bit to the desired, hence the 2 stars)
This isn't a destination for a great vacation or getaway, despite the name. But it is definitely an alternative to consider vs paying almost the same amount at a Super 8: basically, you will trade cleanliness/ambience for location for just a little bit higher price.
Birch bay did not strike me a great holiday destination overall. The town as a whole feels run-down. Probably saw its hey day in 1970s.
I wouldn't recommend Loons Common if you can afford more, but can't speak to the rest of the...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
We are very sorry that our accommodation or Birch Bay was not to your standards, housekeeping and maintenance have been notified and the accommodation has been improved. Whatcom County has 10 million scheduled pedestrian &,bicycle path improvements and plans to bury utilities lines.We sincerely appreciate your feedback !
Report response as inappropriate
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.