“Loons Commons” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Birch Bay Get Away

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Blaine
Birch Bay Get Away
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Loons Commons”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Overall, our experience was OK
I can only speak to the specific property we were at: the Loons Commons Oceanview Suite

Highlights:
- the property is located across the road from the shoreline
- There is a shared verandah that has a view of the ocean. The living room window opens into this verandah, providing the same view
- Spacious accommodation for our nightly price of $124+$15 for dog plus taxes. Better location and more space than Super 8, for not that much more
- Beds are good. Both bed linen and towels were clean.
- Hosts were efficient and there were no issues with our stay

Lowlights:
- Everything is old and grimy. The carpet has stains, floors are sticky on your feet. When I went to sit on the chair in the verandah, I had to first clean it. It was laden with dog hair, and I don't mean a few hair. Isn't this what the charges for dog are for? While it was a nice verandah, it was not possible to use because the chairs were not usable
- appliances, furnishings are old
- Surroundings are uninspiring. There is a restaurant below this oceanview suite, the neighborhood is run-down

In the net, I was not disappointed (except that cleanliness would have been appreciated). The really good thing was that neither on the site, nor otherwise, there was ever any pretense of this being anything other than what the place offered. So, given the expectations, I feel OK about the stay (except the cleanliness part left a bit to the desired, hence the 2 stars)

This isn't a destination for a great vacation or getaway, despite the name. But it is definitely an alternative to consider vs paying almost the same amount at a Super 8: basically, you will trade cleanliness/ambience for location for just a little bit higher price.

Birch bay did not strike me a great holiday destination overall. The town as a whole feels run-down. Probably saw its hey day in 1970s.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend Loons Common if you can afford more, but can't speak to the rest of the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MonsieurCapt-B, General Manager at Birch Bay Get Away, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
We are very sorry that our accommodation or Birch Bay was not to your standards, housekeeping and maintenance have been notified and the accommodation has been improved. Whatcom County has 10 million scheduled pedestrian &,bicycle path improvements and plans to bury utilities lines.We sincerely appreciate your feedback !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Hesperia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here with a friend for a girls get away in the Loons Commons. The view was gorgeous and it had all the comforts you could ask for. The staff was very helpful when we needed anything and I can't wait to go back! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone. Thank you for the wonderful trip and I will be back soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
We are very happy that you had a wonderful girls weekend, and that you made this a road trip from CA. We hope to see you again soon so we may have the pleasure of being your host again!
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

On a last minute whim our family escaped to the Birchwood Cottage,let me tell you this place is fantastic! Visiting the Getaway is always like going back in time to the to when mom & dad took us to Birch Bay in the summer,these are some of my fondest memories as a child. The cottage always has that cozy feel, we'll taken care of and the staff very attentive. We really LOVE this place!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Apple Valley, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed here for the second time.. this place is just so relaxing.. I even brought my best friend with me. Everyone is always so helpful and nice. I love this place because they have something for every budget. Thanks again for the great trip

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We went at Spring Break and loved our cozy, comfy, well equipped cabin. No doubt it would be twice as nice in warmer weather. It's an eclectic little place that probably hasn't changed much over the years but that's what makes it so unique. I would absolutely stay here again as it is less expensive than the Bellingham hotels (at least in the off season) which don't have a beach across the street. My bed was so comfortable and the limited staff were great and made you feel at home.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We went to Birch Bay to run in the marathon and were looking for a quiet space with a view of the water. The Birch Bay Get Away didn't disappoint.

We travel often to run races and have stayed in a wide range of places around the world. After a wet, windy race, it was heaven to come back to the room and soak in the massive 2-person jacuzzi tub! We also spent an inordinate amount of time taking turns in the massage chair -- a complete surprise, but such a treat.

We loved having a fire in the fireplace on the two nights we were there, and being able to watch the sunset from our living room.

We stayed in the Eagles Roost condo, which had a lovely big bed with brand new linens, the aforementioned jacuzzi tub in the bedroom, a bath with shower and tub, a kitchen, and a living room with fireplace, two couches, and a massage chair. The kitchen was just fine -- not a 5-star Michelin kitchen, but with plenty of cooking essentials, a spotlessly clean fridge, and four sets of plates, bowls, silverware, glasses, etc. Kitchen also included a coffeemaker and toaster.

The place was very clean -- we could smell the fireplace when we arrived, but I really like that woodsy smell.

One slight surprise was that there is an enclosed walkway along the front of the unit -- the Eagle's Roost is the first of three units, so our neighbors could see in to our living room if they walked by, but unless you have very rude neighbors (we didn't), it's not a problem.

We loved the view and the gorgeous sunset, but I might try one of the cabins on our next stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Littleton, co
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is a great place in so many ways.
I travel a lot and ended up renting a cottage here. It was warm, equipped, comfy, cozy, right near the water, quiet, spacious. I loved everything about it for a cabin. I have stayed in cabins before which are quite rustic and look nice but have terrible accommodations, this was just the opposite. Loved it, the space, the room, everything!
Even the owners were extremely accommodating for things I needed more of.
I highly recommend it for family or business.

Room Tip: I only stayed in one but it was the cottage...loved it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
captianspeaking, Guest Relations Manager at Birch Bay Get Away, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Karen,

I am please that our facility worked out well for you and you found us extremely accomadating. Please keep us in mind for future getaways or business meetings. We hope to see you again soon!

Been to Birch Bay Get Away? Share your experiences!